Ash (Entente) vs KorutZelva (CP) - Classic AAR: "Get better" edition

AshFall

Ash (Entente) vs KorutZelva (CP) - Classic AAR: "Get better" edition

Post by AshFall »

I, somewhat (read very) brazenly took up a challenge from KorutZelva who describes himself as of "Intermediate" skill.

I'm hoping it will be a good even game, but after the very first turn I realized I might have seriously over-estimated my own level if Korut is "Intermediate".

So, cue this AAR. I'm not sure how detailed it will be, probably variably very and not particularly (knowing my own propensity for impenetrable rambling and over-sharing).

Anyway.

I'm hoping to make this a platform where better players than I can critique my plays, give me tips on strategy and thinking, and for everyone to have a good chuckle at my bumbling about.

Since the "Google Doc" versions of AARs dont seem to interest people much I'll make this a classic one, done in regular posts.

KorutZelva has said that he will probably do his own AAR to mirror mine and share his thinking and perspectives.

[Edit 14/9 2021]: Link to KZs companion AAR! :D https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.a ... age=1&key=

Neither of us will be looking at the others thread.

Please do not use knowledge from his AAR or give away anything from his side of the game in comments if you're reading both!

Also: Note that I'll be using "real turns" as headers, I.e. every entente turn is an Even turn.
AshFall

RE: Ash (Entente) vs KorutZelva (CP) - Classic AAR: "Get better" edition

Post by AshFall »

Turn 2: August 8th, 1914

Very good opening in the east I think, cant find any weaknesses except to the south. Army deployment shields all weak points from reach on turn 1, and turn 2 then threatens encirclement and destruction from operated corps.

Red Arrows and X show where I think attack is unfeasible in this setup. Wont reach anything important and will then get rolled up in operations and encirclements. Attacking the army could be done if I operate Brusilov, but his anchor in the town and position isnt good for me.

End up being conservative, setting up for strike south, and attacking (unwisely) in Galicia with some bad rolls.

Get unlucky in Serbia too, Austrian corps got cocky southeast of Belgrade and escaped with 1 str into the mountains.

Austrian navy kills exposed French Battleship, cant do anything there at the moment.

Strong advance in Germany despite no DoW on Belgium, so attack through Belgium or just major grind through east France possible. Attacking t2 through belgium has advantage to delay brit reinforcements a lot, they have to transport and that costs. I again move conservatively since I dont know what he’s going to do.

Always at a total loss regarding what to do with Brit navy when the Brit isnt in the war. Got no message about fleet movements, so probably nothing there, Looked all along the coast of Norway, looked empty. Lacking better ideas I start setting up the blockade.

Russian navy disperses into farther ports and sets up more mines, freeing up Kronstadt for later ships. Navies in the med Scramble to shelter in ports and repair, Austrians are probably gagballing the Adriatic sea. That means raiding too, so French convoy probably wont reach Serbia.

I’ll send one turn and see how much is lost, set Russia Convoy to max.
- No raiding this turn it turns out, everything sent reached the Serbs.

Very good openings both in Poland and Adriatic, uncounterable as far as I can see.

Can you spot my Major mistake in the Polish response? I was sure I blocked any direct movement into Warsaw (that's not it).
AshFall

Post by AshFall »

Turn 4: August 22nd 1914

Following this blunder Samsonov (4) is immediately sacked and replaced with Kornilov (6). I would have preferred to replace a rating 3, but I need a competent general urgently to deal with the situation. It makes a difference too, 1 less loss and/or one extra projected damage in all cases.

One German corps and the forward Austrian cavalry corps are destroyed, With any luck I’ll be able to destroy the last Austrian corps in low supply.

Conservative attacks in Galicia, one corps down. I was congratulating myself on being sneaky, moving the cavalry Northeast before curving around to the south. Setting it up with 6 supply for next turn so it could do a surprise raid down in Transylvania.

Then I remember it’s trenches that block line of sight, not corps as such, Well, there goes that element of surprise. :P Should have moved corps up and entrenched instead of attacking. Stupid.

I’ve seen a total of 10 Austrian corps in Russia and Galicia, that means KZ has operated two corps here from Serbia. The damaged cavalry corps has withdrawn, probably to Lemberg.

The Germans and French open diplomatic channels as the French army does it’s best to discourage the huns from advancing.

I forgot to reinforce the verdun corps, another mistake.

There are no German troops on the border to Belgium, which finally gives us a clue to what KZ is thinking.

In Russia we have no signs of major German movements, just one corps above the starting tally. Prussia is a dead zone scouting wise for me, KZ is cleverly using his troops in addition to the forests and fortifications to mask what’s going on there. So he’s either gathering Germans in the fog of war near Serbia, which would leave the Serbs dangerously exposed, or in Prussia to strike North.

Both would be bad for me. Some preparation is made around Shavli and Vilna.

AshFall

Post by AshFall »

Turn 6: September 5th 1914

Things are finally starting to become clear.

Of course, I was entirely wrong about where KZ would concentrate his forces. Scouting planes reveal a significant buildup of german troops around Premyzl, and more corps are appearing south-southwest of Poland as well. It’s time to start retreating, without more advanced Trenches I cant hope to make a stand, better to try and preserve the army if possible.

I also failed to box in the Austrian corps, the Austrians to the south attacked and wiped out the cavalry, letting the corps move out of the pocket. At least I destroyed it before withdrawing, though I couldnt answer the effortless destruction of another corps by the Germans near Warzaw.

The detachment holding Belgrade is destroyed despite full entrenchment and intact defense bonuses. I take revenge on another Austrian corps and withdraw, he has very few corps here, but I need to reinforce and plan before committing to anything.

In the west the Germans do as they do, bulldoze forward and destroy corps. I can only assume the disparity in odds, as I’m getting pretty bad predictions when measuring a counter attack on Nancy, is down to infantry Warfare tech. Foch is a commander roughly equal to the German ones at this point. I play cautiously, destroying a german Corps that I have better odds on.

I still need to be a little cautious about a delayed attack on Belgium using the 7 corps the Germans deploy in the west on turns 3 and 4. Barring that, the shape of the early game is fairly clear. In my next post I’ll go into my own plans a bit!
AshFall

Post by AshFall »

Turn 8: September 19th 1914

I’m making as orderly a withdrawal as I can in Poland and Galicia, avoiding fighting. I need to preserve Russian MPPs for vital research. They need 4 chits in Trench warfare, 3 chits in industry and the chit in infantry weapons urgently. This turn I managed the 4th Trench warfare chit and the 2nd in Industry. I need at least Trenches lvl 2, better lvl 3, before I can start making stands. Unfortunately I will be withdrawing here for a while, which the Germans and Austrians both almost completely focused on the east.

Hit and run attacks from the Serbs manage to bring down another Austrian corps without leaving me too exposed, KZ is not moving at all in this theatre yet, but the Serbs ability to fight is severely limited by their income.

France is settling down with the Germans taking Nancy, An annoying loss, but one I dont think can be prevented if the Germans want it.

So what are my own plans then.

Well, with the Russians retreating and giving up Poland they will need other sources of NM to bolster them and let them stay in the fight a bit longer. To that end I’m going to hit the Ottomans hard from all directions as soon as possible.

A first wave of units is on their way to Mesopotamia and Egypt, French cavalry and HQ for the former and elite British corps for Egypt. More to follow.

The Russians have sent three Siberian corps to the Caucasus and will deploy the coming transfers here as well.

Once sufficient forces have been sent to the middle east to make the situation impossible for the Turks, who with their own very limited economy cannot hold if they are pressed on all fronts, I’m of a mind to send more forces to Serbia. I want to be able to hit the Austrians there if KZ decides to cede Trento and Trieste, we will see if we have time to get into position.

Otherwise I have been setting up the blockade and investing in technology, the French have been fighting quite a bit, so they are a little behind in that regard. I am slowly investing in the French mediterannean navy as well as the British navy to drive off the raiding on the Serbian Convoys.

AshFall

Post by AshFall »

Turn 10: October 10th 1914

The Brits finally joined the war. Having them out until turn 10 is pretty harsh, and has delayed sending French forces to Mesopotamia by quite a bit. Perhaps too much, we’ll see.

The Germans keep grinding ahead in France, killing corps for less losses. The RNG gods decreed that the French arent allowed to kill German corps, so that didnt happen.

Russia is Quiet, I decide to stay mostly in place aside from backing out of Lublin where a corps was surrounded on three sides.

The Vistula river gives me my best chance of standing my ground against an attack for a round. I’m also hoping for bad weather to help the Russians out. I do manage to invest a chit into Infantry weapons and reinforce a badly damaged corps.

Here is the buildup in the Caucasus so far.

The general situation isnt very good. I’ve tried to invest in Tech, but the Germans have invested much, much more.

Research invested // Losses // Spent on units//Collected income

Germans: 1005 // 2205 // 236 // 2247
Austria: 525 // 2007 // 218 // 1131
Ottomans: 1 chit in trench warfare

British: 735 // 0 // 132 // 132 // 1018
French: 450 // 2207 // 282 // 1022
Russia: 550 // 1530 // 148 // 952

No nation has invested much into units, mostly focusing on research. Both sides have suffered about the same amount of losses, counting the Serbs that I forgot to add here.

However, the Germans are poised to do some real damage and have a clear technological advantage. This is going to get ugly.

The Bulgarians also take an increasing interest in events, owing to German advances in Poland. I need to keep the Bulgarians out of the war for the plan to crush the Ottomans to work. I’ll invest in diplomacy to that end next turn.
AshFall

Post by AshFall »

Turn 12: November 7th 1914

The Germans continue to attack and advance with Caution. Two or three attacks by their corps near Warsaw wipe out the defenders for little losses.

In return -six- corps attack the Germans, taking -12- str losses total for the trouble… ugh. Most of those struck 1 hit below the projections. Well, it’s early days yet, let’s hope luck changes! :)

A third chit in industry completes the stage 1 survival necessities of tech for the Russians, now let’s pray for breakthroughs!

The Port of Antivari was reduced below the 5 threshold, and the Austrian navy retreated. I took the chance, as it repaired back to 5, of launching a premature strike at the submarine to drive it away.

Neither of the destroyer attacks managed projected damage, nor did they force it to dive. The British cruisers were brought in to attempt to finish the mission, successfully. This means French supplies will reach the Serbs this turn, that will be necessary as I spotted Germans moving in the Fog of War (the trenches regrettably vanish in the replays and allows LoS behind them). I have to send support to the Serbs soon if I dont want Bulgaria to join, fouling my Ottoman strategy.

The Serbs retreat to defensive positions and reinforce. They have managed two chits in Trench Warfare, crossing my fingers!

France is Quiet, the British arrive in Egypt with Elite 1st corps having lost a step to rough seas.

The Entente invest heavily into diplomacy towards Bulgaria, now at 35% chance of success. C’moooon diplo-gods! I’ll sacrifice dust mites and innocent flowers from my potted plants! Promise!

I decline the extra Sea-Plane carrier with the Brits, knowing MPPs are about to be very scarce for a while.

I’m worried at the complete lack of activity from the German navy, it gives me foreboding chills of lvl 3 subs and upgraded naval weaponry suddenly appearing to savage my hapless Royals.

I’ll have to invest there as well shortly, a failure to do so may well cost me the game otherwise.

The turn ends with a hit on Bulgaria by France for 4% (Down to 71% I think), Russians developing Trench Warfare lvl 1 and getting a breakthrough in industry! I think they're at 60% or so. That's nice! :D
AshFall

Post by AshFall »

Turn 14: November 1914

The Austrian navy clashes with the Royal in the Adriatic, In the brief battle the dreadnaught Radetzky sinks the Black Prince armored cruiser, and the Indomitable scores a direct hit on the badly damaged “Kaiser Karl VI”. The Germans sent the Goeben to the Austrians, and it is causing trouble

Unfortunately I again fail to sink the Austrian submarine, and stupidly leave a British destroyer exposed in the Cetinje Port. Oh well.

I rush the Submarines I had intended to reinforce to cover the retreating Indomitable in case the stronger Central Powers navy decided to pursue. It doesnt look like KZ remembered to set his ships to raiding stance, so I leave the convoy from France active.

A full army of 5 german corps has moved up behind the Austrians.

I’m outplayed here, far behind events. Dithering too long not knowing what KZ was going to do, and unable to send the planned forces to mesopotamia due to Gibraltar and Suez being closed, I didnt send troops to Serbia either when I could have. Unfortunately it will be at least another two turns before any more forces can embark from France. It’s a mess, and might have toppled the strategy I’ve attempted before It’s even begun.

Sending Brits without an HQ doesnt seem like a good idea.

I can only hope the Serbs will be able to hold on for a while.

The Germans easily destroy another Russian corps, and I keep retreating.

A cautiously placed corps blocks a German thrust towards Kornilov, and foil the attempt to cut the Russians off.

The Germans now have Trenches Lvl 2, so the French cant do much in the west. This will be quiet until we have some artillery.

I invest more into Diplomacy on Bulgaria. Supressing them can be quite effective if I’m not unlucky. I now have 50% chance of a hit per turn, let’s hold both thumbs!

The Ottomans are about to enter the war, delayed since the Germans didnt send the Goeben to them. I wonder about KZs reasoning there, what are the advantages of delaying the Ottomans entry for a turn or two?

Preparations for hostilities are complete in the Caucasus, and at least not lacking in egypt, Unfortunately the troops bound for Mesopotamia have not yet arrived, but will probably do so next turn.

I have tried to keep the buildup of troops here secret by carefully staying away from the borders. I revealed the Russians this turn, but am keeping the Brits back. Perhaps I can cause some missteps in the Ottoman response!

I also have a question.

The Germans have collected 3185 Mpps so far, and not spent 644 on units, A surge since two turns ago. Smart to do the investments in winter.

Anyway, their research is now at 1355, so I’m way outmatched in all respects here.

Their unit investments and research only amount to 2000 mpps, what can he have spent the remaining 1185 on?
AshFall

Post by AshFall »

Turn 16: January 1915

Well.

The Germans looks like they got good weather in Poland, in December. So they killed more Russians.

I get frozen snow, hit back a little, not much to do.

Austrians cede Trento and Trieste, seems to be a standard move, out of the 6 games where I have played Entente to completion 5 CP players have ceded Trento and Trieste, including me in one of those.

Snow and Frozen means I cant do much with the severely demorlized Austrians, but maybe next turn when they get hit with desertions?

The Italian Navy, the Extra front and the Italian diplomacy will be sorely missed.

The Russian opening stroke in the Caucasus falling in the dead of Frozen winter means it is anemic and extremely underwhelming, that’s a real upside to sending the Goeben to the Adriatic. Hamilton arrives in Egypt and more units are being sent there.

Still important to move up, get into position for more damage and do whatever damage I can as soon as I can. The Ottomans industry cant handle sustained losses on any particular scale.

Otherwise just positioning.

I get a hit on Bulgaria for 5%, not the big ones I’m looking for, but something.

Russians get their first industry level, finally. That is sorely needed.

France buys an artillery piece.
AshFall

Post by AshFall »

Turn 18: March 1915

Made a mess of this turn.

I was going to send more French forces somewhere, either to Serbia or Mesopotamia. I dithered, lost my train of thought and spent the MPPs on research instead. Ugh.

Make small opportunistic attacks in Poland while continuing to pull back.

The Russian offensive in the Caucasus picks up speed, as does the British attack on Palestine. Two more British corps arrive to support it. I take a bunch of losses, but the more important thing is to hurt the Ottomans as much as possible.

Serbs develop Trenches lvl 1.

I notice KZ has maxed out his diplomacy, on Bulgaria then.

I answer, with a total 15% advantage. I dont get a hit, oh well.
AshFall

Post by AshFall »

Turn 20: April 10th 1915

The headlong attack on the Ottomans on all fronts continues. Erzum falls, Trabzon is cut off and severely beset and the Ottoman forces attempting to block the way to Jerusalem are melting under British pressure,

It seems the Turk have sent several corps to Mesopotamia, which I think is good for me. In response I’m sending a couple of French corps to reinforce. The French will soon hit infantry weapons 1, which will likely allow them to deal with the Ottomans despite the lack of Artillery. That will pin the corps in the Theatre, easing the way on the other two fronts.

The graph so far speaks a clear language, with losses of 1431 and 220 spent on units.

The Russians continue to withdraw, investing continually in Trench warfare and Industry.

The Serbian front is quiet, very quiet. It wont last, but every turn they get to reinforce and invest in Trench warfare is a win. All diplomatic chits save 1 British from all sides are now invested in Bulgaria. The Entente retains a 15% advantage, which should increase to 20% next turn. Bulgaria remains at 65%.
AshFall

Post by AshFall »

Turn 22: May 8th 1915

Yudenich pauses the offensive in the caucasus to receive vital reinforcements, having suffered heavy casualties during the brutal push into Ottoman territory.

General Dubail withdraws forward cavalry as it comes under attack near Bagdad, awaiting reinforcements in a months time (2 turns).

General hamilton, “The badger of Gaza” continues reckless and relentless attacks against Djemal Pashas positions, reaching the command staff at the outskirts of Jerusalem.

Losses continue to rapidly outpace ottoman capacity to replace them. That the ottomans had to spend 150 badly needed mpps on diplomacy towards Bulgaria didnt help them…

The blockade of Germany is in full effect, but isnt having much of one so far with German NM at 102%!

Russians are continuing the retreat, with their offensive focus elsewhere…

AshFall

Post by AshFall »

Turn 24: June 5th 1915

Well, I always knew most of 1915 was going to be a shitshow, and all the expected markers have now arrived.

German artillery has been spotted on all fronts, evidently upgraded to start smashing my trenches. Three Russian corps go down this turn, that’s not good. Keep… moving away… back away.. slooowly…

Kornilov is damaged by an airship. Huh. Didnt even know those things could do damage to units. Well, the usual “strategic weapon” chance I guess.

The French, lacking upgraded artillery of their own, instead start distributing infantry weapons to fight the Germans with. Yeah, I was a bit off in priorities I guess, despite having had two chits in artillery for a while (though 1 for longer) the French are only at 60% or so. That’s going to hurt.

Well, the British - who do have upgraded artillery researched - are coming to help.

The Russians position themselves for another offensive in the Caucasus, cavalry running around and behind the enemy positions. Dubails cavalry is pulled back to refit in sufficient supply.

Hamilton takes Jerusalem and hunts the fleeing Pasha to Amman. Detachments with low entrenchment just cant defend against corps. The British offensive here is probably going to have to rest and refit after this push, we’ll see.

The long feared Central Powers offensive against Serbia has begun, it’s only a matter of time now.

Somehow, in the midst of this renewed offensive, the Entente make a major diplomatic breakthrough regarding Bulgarias involvment. 17% towards the entente!

KZ has informed me that he will be out and about friday through sunday, so while he is away we'll have a little summary of the war so far and maybe some additional rambling. :P
AshFall

Post by AshFall »

Turn 26: July 3rd 1915

Developments in the Ottoman region continue apace. Yudenich assaults enemy positions across the caucasus, and advance cavalry harry retreating headquarters and units.

Hamilton maintains his breakneck momentum, throwing his exhausted army against the detachment guarding Aquaba and near Damascus. The enemy is thin, and cannot be everywhere.

Dubail is overseeing french disembarkments, reinforcements and distribution of modern weaponry. British forces secure forward villages to be organized into supply depots.

Sometimes, when the Ottoman is this hard pressed, the other player forgets rule no.1 with the ottomans, never leave Gallipoli unguarded. I sneak in and take a look… but no. KZ remembered, so far. As the pressure continues to mount, this might change. I’ll lurk… and keep sneaking glances.

Artillery and attacks leave a French corps at 1 str on the frontline, but KZ declines to destroy it. I wonder why… perhaps unwilling to leave a weakened corps on his own line? The Germans have won the race to lvl 2 trenches.

Ugh. I really need that artillery tech right now…

Russia is a continued slow retreat.

The Central Powers push forward in Serbia. I debate immediately abandoning Nish and retreating to the mountains, but no. I’ll stay, and have him expend shells to take it.

I forget to reinvest the British diplomacy chit in Bulgaria, dangit. Stupid brain…

AshFall

Post by AshFall »

Turn 28: July 17th 1915

Kemal Pasha is attempting to withdraw his badly damaged army towards Sivas, driving off IVth cavalry corps in the process. Yudenich harries the screening Ottoman detachment and destroys one of the two cavalry corps covering their retreat into Mesopotamia.

Capturing Antep and Severing the rail connection between the Ottoman heartland and all their outlying subjects is a major victory, and probably means the end of them.

Hamilton Continues to press his advantage along the west bank, destroying an outlying Detachment near Damascus and bringing up artillery to handle advanced ottoman defensive works in the city (Entrenchment 4 might be too hard to crack without artillery even in this position).

Dubails expeditionary army is ready, with any luck they will be able to destroy the Ottomans trapped in this theatre.

After heavy Central Powers attacks on Nish the Serbs withdraw to the mountains.

The French are about to develop artillery lvl 1, and their cannons are moving into position along with British ones. We should soon be able to launch effective attacks on the western front.

The Russians … do as they do. The Fortress of Brest Litovsk falls.

Bad news on the East front keep coming. The Austrians have brought up artillery of their own. The front at Galicia that has so far been secure will soon start to crumble.

AshFall

Post by AshFall »

Turn 30: July 31st 1915

Dubail is starting to move in Mesopotamia, heading for Kut al Amara and its' supply depot.

Yudenich receives some reinforcements and damages the detachment by Sivas further and Hamilton continues a reckless chase across the west bank.

KZ smartly evacuated his damaged corps from Trabzon by transport. Note to self, keep a ship near here in the future to catch the transport!

I think I will be able to achieve my aims with the Ottomans, i.e. the submission of all it’s subsidiaries and conquest by the Russians of a significant part of the caucasus to bolster morale. The only real area of doubt remaining is Mesopotamia.

The current Russian holdings are worth 209 NM per turn. It would be nice to capture the towns up to and including Yozgat and Adana, which would net another 72NM per turn. I dont think it’s critical though.

As a contrast, Russian territorial losses to the Central Powers currently equal 212 NM per turn.

It’s breaking even on that front. It’s going to get worse though. With that in mind I withdraw the two corps near Trabzon to be redeployed to other ailing fronts. Yudenich and his Mountain Army will stay though, keep the pressure on perhaps make some more gains to cover losses elsewhere.

Speaking of ailing fronts. In the face of developed artillery support I withdraw along the Galician front, finding better footing in forests and towns. I need to buy time and give up ground.

The Germans easily destroy a corps near Brest Litovsk, and almost another. I redeploy forces to start covering a broader front.

The Serbs are in a lot of trouble. Nish is taken and I make some spoiling attacks against an unentrenched german corps that force me to shuffle the line after way more losses than anticipated. Damn artillery. Pec is thereby exposed.

Bulgaria is way too interested in proceedings, I can only pray for another diplo hit. I sacrifice a small sapling from one of my house plants to the gods!

In mixed news the Germans on the west front massacred a French corps despite disparity in infantry weapons, hitting with 2:5 results after a bombardment. Bleh. At least our own artillery is now upgraded and in place. Offensive operations are ready to commence here…

Also shown, due to the legendarily messy organization and incompetence of the British War office (I.e me and my stupid clicky finger :P), in tandem with an equally frustrating Naval administration, troops slated for fast transport to france instead boarded experimental amphibious craft set up for practice runs. This leads to two weeks of merriment where troops are shuffled back and forth and orders sorted out.

Bureaucracy, lovely.

Lovely, however, is the sound of clanging industry and the belching of smoke into clear skies!

Looks a bit like Rasputin, doesnt it? :D

The British and Russians both enjoy more advanced industry, the Russian bear is slowly waking up after all the prodding it's had with sharp sticks. Question remains if it is too late and too woozy from bloodloss.

AshFall

Post by AshFall »

Turn 32: August 14th 1915

The French remembered some of their napoleonic history and thought “Gosh darn, we can fight cant we? We were pretty dang awesome once. We remember when we kicked all your butts! And like, invented modern military organization. You all stole that from us! Nasty thieves, give it back! We’re coming to take it!”

In a massive lunge the snoozefront turns into the front of rage and awesome death.

Allright. Maybe it wasnt quite that impressive. It just felt real good to kill some stuff. I was seriously sad about not being able to destroy the artillery though, darn that thing. Also, darn these forums and their hyperactive curse filter, I cant even explete properly! :P

In other news, the amphibious corps lost in the depths of British beureacracy managed to find its way to France. Horray…

They will be put in the front line.

The Serbs are in serious trouble, all the shuffling around and weak corps in Pec turned out to be a super bad idea. Let’s try to remember that for next time, ok brain?

The Austrian navy surges out and destroys a british dreadnaught I forgot all about sitting around the tip of Italy’s 10 inch heel. Dangit. I cant even hit back. Ugh.

In Russia we keep backing away from the big guns and bring in more reinforcements.Two more corps were added from the build cue after this screenshot was taken, I was too lazy to take another one.

Yep. On both fronts.

The war in the middle east is unexciting for once, moving up, positioning…
AshFall

Post by AshFall »

Turn 34: August 28th 1915

The offensive in the west goes on. Starting out season with 21 shells in three cannons make a good base for attacking lvl 3 trenches. With a recovery of 2 per turn I wont be running out soon. I plan to keep attacking here as much as I can for as long as I can.

The first signs of upgraded infantry weapons among the Germans are troubling, and will make that much harder.

Nowhere near as much hader as it will make survival for the Russians though. So far I have managed to keep their army somewhat intact by backing away, with German infantry weapons at lvl 1 they will more or less manage to do to what the Brits did to the Ottomans, if they want to.

The Russians own infantry weapons are just at 80% or so, a full four turns away unless I’m lucky.

It also means a hastening for the end of the Serbs, though the Entry of Greece into the war through the Salonika event might give them an avenue of escape. I should try to get forces to Greece to provide a continuing distraction there, I’ll have a look at that next turn.

The French and British Navies launch a retaliatory strike at the Austrians in the Adriatic, bringing a cruiser down to 1 str and damaging their submarine. I’ve set up forces to attack any sally from the Austrians.

Yudenich is finding the detachment in front of Sivas difficult to crack, but with his forces gathered and largely reinforced it should go down next turn. An Ottoman corps trying to break through the Russian cavalry to escape Hamilton is cut off and surrounded. It wont be going anywhere.

Hamilton himself has almost completed his primary objectives.

Dubail is cautiously moving his forces into position. I think I’ve been careful to keep them completely outside the ottoman corps 2 hex land spotting, so with any luck KZ is completely unaware of the scope of the attack coming for him.

With the first anniversary of the war drawing close it could be interesting to do a summary of where we are at. I’ll do that next post. :)
AshFall

Post by AshFall »

One year of War

Sooo. Where has one year of fighting gotten us? Deaths in the hundreds of thousands?

Well, I think I’ve come out fairly well so far, though that is a statement with many Caveats.

Russia

The Russians have held up decently so far, they have been giving up quite a bit of ground, but do have a buffer NM income for the time being. Their army is still in existence, which is always good. The plan to keep them intact while retreating to give the West time to get into the swing of things has worked out decently.

Unfortunately KZ will have a golden opportunity for the next 5-6 turns to attack all out, and I might well suffer catastrophic losses if that happens. If it doesn’t and I can upgrade my own infantry as well as get some hits in other areas I might hang on for a while.

So what’s the plan here, I can’t keep retreating forever. In fact, we’re getting close to the river lines and a new batch of NM objectives that I don’t much want to lose.

I have managed to develop the Russians economy so that it isnt complete crap, in fact, it’s about equal to the Germans. That leaves much else to be desired though. I’m going to need to invest more into artillery and shells, and should probably put that second chit into Command and Control. After that it’s all building units and trying to die as slowly as possible.

I’ll do my best to pull the Germans away through Greece and France, and if I manage that really well I might even be able to fight back with the Russians.

That’s something I need to learn actually, how to manage to start fighting back with the Russians in situations like these. I think artillery is probably essential… hm. Note to self, dont down prioritoze arty even in these situations like I have done with the Russians here. It’s a critical tool for both offense and defense.

Ottoman Empire

The Ottomans have gotten completely dumpstered, which always happens if the Entente can spare the troops I have for them and they don’t have an open channel for almost immediate help. At this point I can collapse them at will, or keep them alive to act as a lifeline for the Russians morale.

They are losing 233 NM per turn off conquests, less 100 if both the boosting events are active. I’ll check if they are turn after next. That’s still about 0.6% per turn. I can also take Baghdad for 2000 points, or accept the revolt for the same.

With about 4600 morale remaining the question becomes when and how to collapse them.

Conquering them outright is probably a bad idea if Bulgaria has entered the war, Constantinople is hard to defend and we don’t want the Central Powers to liberate the Ottomans.

I think I’ll accept the Arab revolt despite the cost, to make absolutely sure that I can collapse the Ottomans when I want to. It’s going to be a balancing act between using them for a buffer for the Russians and getting rid of their diplomacy.

Greece

This will be the new theatre for the year. I’m getting ready to pull back troops from Serbia in the face of it’s probably surrender. I want to send Hamilton and his units here, making sure the central powers cant secure this front and send those forces elsewhere.

The west

Once the Bulgarian issue is resolved one way or another I’ll re-distribute my diplomatic chits. I think I’ll go with a dispersed strategy, committing 25% each to Sweden, Norway and the Netherlands, targeting German economic interests. Maybe I should switch one of those for Belgium and attempt to get them into the war on my side. That’s a long process though, I’m unsure if it’s worth it or if I should just attack them despite the hefty national morale penalty.

No matter what I need to keep hammering Germany from this direction as hard as possible.

The naval war

This is an area of concern. The exclusion of Italy strengthens the CP naval position considerably.

As of the moment, Germany has 29 naval units to UKs 32. Especially as a lot of the French navy is defending the mediterranean, and not doing very well at it.

Basically, a massed and upgraded attack could do a lot of damage. I’m researching anti Submarine warfare pre-emptively, it’s not expensive to do and can save a lot of trouble later.

I need to scout the German navy and see what it’s doing, before I invest in naval weaponry and naval warfare. I’ll do that as soon as I can.

Research and Economy

Well then. At this point the Entente have collected an equal amount of income in total compared to the Central Powers. Most of this catchup is due to Russia, who have doubled their income since the end of 1914.

This is clearly reflected in their almost maxed out research budget, and I’m continually prioritizing Trenches and Industry. This last chit I should probably have gone with Artillery rather than more industry, but done is done. I’ll go with another Arty chit and a gas/shell chit next.

I prioritized spying and intelligence immediately as the campaign started with the British and have made continual smaller investments in other techs since.

The French got lucky and scored an infantry weapons advance early, I’m hoping the Brits and Russians follow soon. Both France and Russia, being the two nations who will be most exposed to direct combat, have invested in production tech to help take the sting our of those losses.

The Central powers have suffered about 1500mpp more losses than the entente, but have spent about 2000 more on units so they have recuperated those losses better.

The Germans still hold a sizeable lead, by 600, in technology investments on top of their starting advantage. I’m not sure where those have gone, but I need to keep investing in tech to keep up. During 1915 I should start making forays into tanks and aircraft.
AshFall

Post by AshFall »

Turn 36: September 11th 1915

A little more cautious advance in the west this turn. Two more German corps go down. I should have shifted the British artillery piece to the right, but forgot. At least the Central artillery has plenty of shells to use.

The French invest in mobility, a trick I learnt from Sigizmund to allow larger and more coordinated attacks on a narrow frontline. The advance is going to be harder from now on as the Germans have advanced infantry weapons as well.

The central powers made an effective and scary thrust on the east front, striking down a corps and sending cavalry through to destroy my artillery. Drats! Well played by KZ here. In return I drive the German cavalry corps back behind its lines and attempt to isolate the Austrian cavalry. I'm exposed and badly entrenched, so this might not work.

In the northeast I coordinate many attacks on an exposed and unentrenched German corps, I suffer bad losses taking it down, but I need to take chances when I get them.

I move away from the artillery as much as possible otherwise. I should probably buy an airship to scout…

I had intended to start raiding the convoy with the Russian submarine and set up two capitals to attack any destroyers that came looking. However, I really need to go have a look at the German navy to see what they’re up to. I moved the sub away to avoid it’s raiding giving it up.

Russians invest in Artillery and shells, bringing them to full research budget. It’s going to be units from here on out.

The Serbs move backwards to allow them a clean escape into Greece, and the Salonika corps set up to help them.

I scout the Austrian navy, revealed in it’s entirity on screen. Sumarine strikes cause one step of damage to the Austrian battleship.

Yudenichs renewed offensive drives the detachment back behind Sivas, and the trapped corps in the south fights a desperate battle. Surrounded and without supplies, they wont be long for the world.

Hamilton defeats the last Ottoman forces on the west bank and sets up to board transports to Greece. I’m not sure what happened to the Ottoman HQ, KZ might have disbanded it to avoid it being destroyed in low supply?

Dubail finally strikes, dispersing the Ottoman corps in front of Baghdad. Von sanders, set up in the capital, is completely exposed. Unless an ottoman army is waiting in the fog of War he is done here.

Ottoman Morale at the end of turn: 4274 (19%)

Return to “AAR”