A question on freight moved?

A complete overhaul and re-development of Gary Grigsby's War in the East, with a focus on improvements to historical accuracy, realism, user interface and AI.

Moderators: RedLancer, Joel Billings

HOTEC

A question on freight moved?

Post by HOTEC »

A single track railway line coming in, through and out of the Augustov. A depot is not created in Augustov. The single track railway line is allowed to move 12,000 tons of freight. However, Augustov has a railyard of level 1 of which its capacity to handle the freight is only 10,000 tons. Can it be interpreted that 12,000 tons of freight are moved into Augustov but only 10,000 tons of freight will be moved out from the town and 2,000 tons of freight will be stored in the town? If I want 12,000 tons of freight moved out from Augustov, I need to assign a Corps HQ to be located in Augustov (5k+10k)>12k and there will be no storage in Augustov. Am I correct?
Seminole

RE: A question on freight moved?

Post by Seminole »

I’m not aware of the freight being stored in a town after transfer.
It is generated in towns, but I think the only freight received by units comes from the NSS via rail to depots.
The supply generated and stored in towns can be used for construction, and the fuel supply of the town can be tapped by vehicles in the

Lower rated depots can move freight forward to higher rated, and a level 4 won’t move freight to other depots. NSS sits at 0 to empty toward any and all.

If you have 10k storage capacity and 12k rail capacity you can conceivably fill the depot in a turn. Depends on available rail stock and factors like interdiction or strategic unit movement on the rails.

25.4.1. Railyards represent the rolling stock available for moving units and freight. If the railyard size is greater than 1, then each undamaged railyard factory point, or level, produces 10k tons of rail capacity per turn with the exception that railyards located in the same hex as a national supply source (25.2.3) will produce 200k tons of capacity per level per turn..

Rail itself has capacity, and using it to move units will increase the usage cost during the logistics phase, reducing available supply.

A type 2 HQ can increase capacity by up 35k, type 3 HQ can increase capacity by up 20k and type 4 HQ can increase capacity by up to 5k.
This has also an impact on the maximum number of trucks at the depot (which is the maximum depot freight divided by 10). As soon as a HQ is in the hex, the maximum capacities are changed and the new values will be shown in the rollover text.
"War is never a technical problem only, and if in pursuing technical solutions you neglect the psychological and the political, then the best technical solutions will be worthless." - Hermann Balck
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: HOTEC

A single track railway line coming in, through and out of the Augustov. A depot is not created in Augustov. The single track railway line is allowed to move 12,000 tons of freight. However, Augustov has a railyard of level 1 of which its capacity to handle the freight is only 10,000 tons. Can it be interpreted that 12,000 tons of freight are moved into Augustov but only 10,000 tons of freight will be moved out from the town and 2,000 tons of freight will be stored in the town? If I want 12,000 tons of freight moved out from Augustov, I need to assign a Corps HQ to be located in Augustov (5k+10k)>12k and there will be no storage in Augustov. Am I correct?

not really [;)]

Not least there is no fixed capacity to a rail hex. At 12,000 tons you receive the maximum SMP penalty but you can still send more freight along that line. Usage at the end will be divided to set a penalty for the next turn.

So in turn you are wrong about how the depot would work, in addition to the points made by Seminole.
HOTEC

Post by HOTEC »

Section 4.10.7 states that "... single rail line can only carry up to 12,000 tonnes before they reach maximum capacity." So I do not follow "no fixed capacity to a rail hex".

At the end of the logistics phase at turn T, the rail usage is reset to zero. During the ground movement phase at turn T, I move a unit by rail spending some SMP. I assume that SMP is equivalent to x tonnes of freight consumed. During the logistics phase at turn T+1, the maximum capacity of that single rail hex for freight moving through is 12,000 - x tonnes. Is my understanding correct?

My understanding on depot that it is a dispatch center. I have not created a depot at Augustov. How a depot is involved in moving freight through a rail line hex.
Jango32

Post by Jango32 »

If there is no depot in a hex nothing is stored there, fairly certain.
loki100

Post by loki100 »

Section 4.10.7 states that "... single rail line can only carry up to 12,000 tonnes before they reach maximum capacity." So I do not follow "no fixed capacity to a rail hex".

At the end of the logistics phase at turn T, the rail usage is reset to zero. During the ground movement phase at turn T, I move a unit by rail spending some SMP. I assume that SMP is equivalent to x tonnes of freight consumed. During the logistics phase at turn T+1, the maximum capacity of that single rail hex for freight moving through is 12,000 - x tonnes. Is my understanding correct?

My understanding on depot that it is a dispatch center. I have not created a depot at Augustov. How a depot is involved in moving freight through a rail line hex.

I'm sorry but there are a number of errors in the post

1 - the rail penalty caps at 12k, you can send more but its increasingly difficult

2 - at the end of the turn the usage is 'not set to zero', if I recall (& can't access manual at the moment) its divided /6 and that legacy is what you see at the start of the next turn

3 - as Jango32 says, if no depot, no freight is stored in that hex - what I think you are seeing is pt #2.

In combination that might explain what you are seeing but perhaps an image might help just in case there is something else
HOTEC

Post by HOTEC »

I use War in the East 2 EBOOK.
Please see the attachment for my question.
I am not aware of the /6. Please advise where it is in the manual.

Attachments
manual_01.jpg
manual_01.jpg (332.08 KiB) Viewed 7 times
loki100

Post by loki100 »

section 22.4.3

as to the rest, I can't make out is the hex even connected to your rail net? A railyard in itself won't generate a flow of freight and there is no depot in that hex (going by your image)
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

Depending on how much freight they’ve carried the cost to carry freight on the section of track increases. You see this visually when you show the depots (N hot key ) and it shows the track in various colors depending upon utilization to that point.

The ‘capacity’ is when the highest ‘cost’ to move freight on that section kicks in.

Double track can move 30k tonnes and single can move 10k before they then cost the maximum to move freight over.
"War is never a technical problem only, and if in pursuing technical solutions you neglect the psychological and the political, then the best technical solutions will be worthless." - Hermann Balck
HOTEC

Post by HOTEC »

Does 1 cargo ship carry 1000 tons of freight like the transport cost of 22,000 tons for the infantry needed 22 transport ships and 22 cargo ships?
Hardradi

Post by Hardradi »

One cargo ship carries 1250 tons of freight. (24.1)
HOTEC

Post by HOTEC »

Thanks.
Hardradi

Post by Hardradi »

So freight moves from depot to depot. Movement of freight uses the SMP concept.
What happens to freight if it doesnt have enough SMP to reach a depot further down the rail line? Is it stored at the previous one?
What happens if that depot is over capacity? Does it become lost freight?
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: Hardradi

So freight moves from depot to depot. Movement of freight uses the SMP concept.
What happens to freight if it doesnt have enough SMP to reach a depot further down the rail line? Is it stored at the previous one?
What happens if that depot is over capacity? Does it become lost freight?

1 - yes it reverts to the one it could reach - hence all the arguments for intermediate depot chains etc
2 - lost, so if you have a super-depot and dismantle it (move the FBD/NKPS) make sure the HQ stays for at least one more turn so that the processing capacity is there to distribute the freight that is stored
Hardradi

Post by Hardradi »

thank you
James80

Post by James80 »

loki100
1 - yes it reverts to the one it could reach - hence all the arguments for intermediate depot chains etc

Is it also true for depots with priority 0? For instance, I want to use intermediate depots but I don't want that depot to store freight in the medium run
HOTEC

Post by HOTEC »

25.4.3 states that "... freight has unlimited SMP's...". Thus there should not be a matter of the enough SMP but a matter of "the railyard tonnage capacity required to move". It is the reason I have posted the question because a single track railway line carries 12,000 tons of freight but a railyard of level 1 has only 10,000 tons. So, 12,000 in, probably 10,000 out. Still, I don't get the reasoning.
loki100

Post by loki100 »

... a single track railway line carries 12,000 tons of freight but a railyard of level 1 has only 10,000 tons. So, 12,000 in, probably 10,000 out. Still, I don't get the reasoning.

because the two numbers don't relate

what can be carried on the line has nothing to do with the capacity of any individual depot to store it. The freight is not moved to a depot, 'stored', and then moved on. The freight is drawn from the NSS (mainly) or from lower priority depots (also) to the higher priority depots.
James80

Post by James80 »

Hey Loki,

do you have an answer to my question above?

Have a nice weekend everyone!
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: James80

loki100

Is it also true for depots with priority 0? For instance, I want to use intermediate depots but I don't want that depot to store freight in the medium run

sorry missed that.

no, a #0 priority depot can't take any freight (remember the sending routine is 0-1+, 1-2+ etc) as its the same priority as the NSS

so you need at least #1. There is a safety net in that depots won't claim just off priority but off priority and local demand. So a depot with no nearby airbases/units will only pick up residual amounts (so it doesn't siphon off stuff going to the front lines)

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2”