How can I un-isolate units besieged in Osinovets?

A complete overhaul and re-development of Gary Grigsby's War in the East, with a focus on improvements to historical accuracy, realism, user interface and AI.

Moderators: RedLancer, Joel Billings

juv95hrn

How can I un-isolate units besieged in Osinovets?

Post by juv95hrn »

Axis AI has taken all of Leningrad.

The Red Army keeps a garrison in Osinovets still (the small port on Lake Ladoga conntected to 3 other small ports on the other shore. The "back door" to Leningrad.

Now its Feb 1942, Lake Ladoga is frozen, the Ozinovets depot is full of supplies and decent supply of trucks. The garrison have plenty of supplies themselves, drawn from this local depot. So all that is fine. The port isnt damaged, there are depots in all ports on the other shore of LL with supplies.

But still they are considered "isolated", and I am not sure why? There is little bad effects, since there is a level 2 fort, and plenty of local supply.

I am trying to lessen the stockpiles in Osinovets itself, so I made it an export port, thinking that the depot system would send some supply from the beachhead, back to the main supply system, with the truck-over-ice trick. Just the other way around. Even at 0 priority, and the 3 eastern ports at same or higher prio, nothing moves.

- Is this why the port is isolated? There is no open supply route "into" the siege location, no matter no supply is needed there? If not why? How can I remove this status?

- why wont the Osinovets depot evacuate some of its supply, over the ice-route? How can I make this happen?

The current situation isnt critical at all, but Id like to understand the supply system here, for more critical potential situations, (say a surrounded Odessa, Sevastopol, or if you manage to hang on the Leningrad, etc.

Thanks!

EDIT:

Now I am even more confused. After launching the Air Operations phase. Osinovets is no longer isolated. Why? shouldn´t this be set during the logistic phase?

- I changed Osinovits port depot, back and forth from export, to import, then back to export port again.
- There is an air transport unit within range.

No idea if this could influence this change of status.

Oh, and Osinovets has a "temporary" depot. I can´t build a proper one, since there is already one in the hex. Probably not influencing the situation but... According to 8.5.4 in the printed manual, there must be a "functioning port source depot" for freight to move. Does a "temporary depot" counts as one or not?

Lake Ladoga had 34 unused transport ships, and 0 used last logistical phase. Shouldn´t some of these have been used to evacuate supplies from Osinovets, to the other 3 ports in the same body of water.

- As noted above, Lake Ladoga appears to be unfrozen, contrary to the right click menu, since I can naval transport ground units. Or is this them moving across the ice? Just using the naval transport system?

Does the naval transport limitations remain the same, when Lake Ladoga is frozen? (Since they arent using ships, port limitations shouldnt be a limiting factor, or?

Coonfusing aye?

"Yes, I am the henchman of the Devil but my services are primarily ceremonial..."
Q-Ball

RE: How can I un-isolate units besieged in Osinovets?

Post by Q-Ball »

Related to some of your questions, there is a known problem related to isolation and the Leningrad area. Expect a patch or fix in an upcoming release:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=5015846
juv95hrn

RE: How can I un-isolate units besieged in Osinovets?

Post by juv95hrn »

Thanks. Good to know. I suspect the same wonkiness applies to navally supplied units on the Kerch as well.
"Yes, I am the henchman of the Devil but my services are primarily ceremonial..."

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2”