The Clear (as) Mud Map Mod

Post new scenarios and mods here to share with other gamers.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

Beethoven1

The Clear (as) Mud Map Mod

Post by Beethoven1 »

I have reached mud season in my game, and it is basically impossible to visually tell the difference between heavy mud and light mud (likewise between light mud and no mud). This is... problematic, because the difference between heavy mud and everything else is night and day for gameplay purposes. Heavy mud is a no go zone, whereas light mud has far smaller effect on combat (only 10% CV penalty IIRC).

So, I am attempting to make a simple graphics mod that makes heavy mud clearly visually distinguishable from light mud and no mud, simply by making all heavy mud hexes appear as a single uniform dark brown color. This is not intended to be fine art, just a temporary expedient until eventually someone with artistic inclination makes a map mod that makes heavy mud be actually clearly distinguishable from light mud and no mud, or alternatively until the game devs add some sort of map mode that makes heavy mud distinguishable from non-mud.

In doing this, so far I have been partly successful, but there are some graphical issues:

First of all, the selected hex which is circled in blue is light mud, whereas the hex to its north-east circled in green is heavy mud. That part seems to be at least more or less fine (though it doesn't look great, it is good enough to be functional for a handful of mud turns).

However, there are other areas (all over the place) such as the area circled in pink on the left side of the map, where everything is mud, but there are weird straight lines in places and also weird halos of clear terrain protruding, despite all the hexes there being heavy mud. Does anyone have any idea what is causing that and how to fix it?

The other problem is that the trees seem to still be protruding, and in places where there are a lot of trees, this can cover up the dark brown background and still is making it impossible to tell in some places whether there is light mud or heavy mud.

What I did to make this was to simply make the 3rd hex in all the files be dark brown, like this for example. That is the FOREST_001 file (it has a clear background in the actual file, but when I upload a screenshot it converts the background so it is appearing light green in the screenshot here):

I did the same thing for all the other files for clear, rough, woods, swamp, etc. That is all I did to try to make this, nothing less, nothing more. Anyone know what I need to do to fix the issues with the trees and the halos/weird straight areas?

If I can get these issues fixed, I could upload the files for this so that if other people have a problem telling what is heavy mud, they can use this if they are willing to tolerate the horrendous graphics.

FAQ #1: "But doesn't it look like s**t?"

Answer: Yes, that's kind of the point :D

FAQ #2: "Do you really want to play with something that looks so horrible?"

Answer: I would only use this for mud turns. First of all, if it is working right, it should look normal except when there is heavy mud (just for a small fraction of the game). But if it causes problems, I would just make a backup and only install this for use during heavy mud turns, and then go back to a better looking map for other turns.
Beethoven1

RE: The Clear (as) Mud Map Mod

Post by Beethoven1 »

I figured out how to fix the issue with trees. Apparently the way trees work is that they appear above the base terrain, and mud seems to be part of the base terrain, so if you have too many trees then you cannot see the mud that is below the trees (if I am understanding this correctly, this may be part of the problem with why it can be so difficult to see where there is mud with the base game graphics).

If I just delete all the files for forest/woods, then the heavy mud hexes show up no problem:

The downside is that you of course cannot see any trees. But at least you can see the heavy mud, which during heavy mud turns seems like the most important thing to be able to see. That is unfortunate, but it seems like it is only possible to either see mud or to see trees, but not both at the same time. So that would be all the more reason, if anyone uses this, to only use it temporarily during mud season (and perhaps switch back and forth even during the middle of a turn in some cases).

However, the problem with some hexes/areas having random strange halos of clear-looking terrain remains (not sure how to fix that).
jlbhung

Post by jlbhung »

I try to share what I figure out so far in making my "one-color clear hex mod" and hope this may help you. [Disclaimer - since there is no manual and I have not made written notes, you may have to play around and verify. Sorry for that. ]

If you export the _hexArt.csv from the Editor, you will get many useful information -

a) the basic art used for a particular hex is generally shown in the baseCurArtldx column (base) + terrCurArtldx column (terrain overlay).
b) even for the same terrain more than one type of hexart is used
ex1. for forest hex 20, 277, baseCurArtldx = 9 terrCurArtldx=170, the hexarts used are Clear_009.tga and Forest_170.tga
ex2. for forest hex 20,278, baseCurArtldx = 10 terrCurArtldx=169, the hexarts used are Clear_010.tga and Forest_169.tga

c) sometimes the terrain in a hex may affect the art used in the edges of surrounding hexes. If so, there will be non-zero entries in the columns coastArtldx E (East) to coastArtldx NE (North-east), total six columns for six sides. The "halos of clear terrain protruding" is likely the effect of this kind of "coastArt", you can try to identify a problematic hex and check if the relevant columns are non-zero.
ex for the forest hex 20,277, coastArtldx W is 4, so the edge of the hex to the west will have the art coastx_004.tga where x is a number related to direction. (I admit that I am not too sure about this as my experience so far is in removing these coast effect, i.e. replace non-zero entries with zeros)

Either you have to work on/replace the all the related art files, or a simpler way is to modify the hexart file so that only one set of art titles is used and modify the selected set only. But the later way will not take effect in on-going games.

Those who are more experienced may supplement or correct me.

overkill01

Post by overkill01 »

Just informative.
I'm working on a mod that will make it all more clearer and visible. I expect it will be ready in about a week or so.
briklebritt

Post by briklebritt »

Wish WitE2 map would look like old map mod for WitE with changing map gfx..

overkill01

Post by overkill01 »

That would be imposible in wite2 because of the way the map is made up compared to the first game. Technicaly I think it would be, but it would take an insane amount of time.

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”