Soviets v Axis AI Winter

A complete overhaul and re-development of Gary Grigsby's War in the East, with a focus on improvements to historical accuracy, realism, user interface and AI.

Moderators: RedLancer, Joel Billings

Scarz

Soviets v Axis AI Winter

Post by Scarz »

I just finished 41/42 winter turns as Soviets versus Challenging AI. Not only was the winter offensive disappointing, the Axis even continued to attack in a few places...

Has anyone else experienced the same thing? Is this purely based on the increased Axis stats for the difficulty level? Thanks.
"When in doubt, lash out."
carlkay58

RE: Soviets v Axis AI Winter

Post by carlkay58 »

Yes sometimes the increased stats for either side make it more difficult to do some things. You should still be able to benefit from the combat penalties in the winter but with the AI able to shift units around from well-supplied areas to non-supplied areas you don't get as much of the build up from wearing them down. The Challenging level gives the Axis +10% leadership (think of it as +1 to all leader ratings - as if the Axis need that!), +10% fortifications - so they can build forts faster and once they hit level 2 then it negates the weather penalties, etc. If you are playing straight Challenging then your morale level is left alone but you gain a -10% on leadership, etc. So your units are worse and theirs are better. Something the AI takes advantage of.
Scarz

Post by Scarz »

Thanks for the response Carlkay58. I assumed that was it, but it was my first winter and wasn't sure if the game just toned down the winter offensive from WitE1.

Do you know of or has any suggested some reasonable settings for the Germans. The normal setting are not enough, but the full Challenging mode seems to be a bit much in the winter and in the 42 spring/summer offensive. I guess I am looking for settings that allow the Axis to make progress, but not the full 1941 Germans again in 1942...

"When in doubt, lash out."
Karri

Post by Karri »

You could alsosimply change the values during the winter turns and then change them back for the 42 summer.
carlkay58

Post by carlkay58 »

Scarz: the settings you use are entirely based on your personal preferences and tastes. I tend to go Custom with the Soviets at 110 across the board and the Axis at 100 when I play Axis. When I play Soviets I go with the Axis at 120 across the board and Soviets all at 100. I stick with 100 on the side I am playing so that I can learn and get the feel for what I would be able to do against another player. I have to give the Axis 120 across the board because I can defeat them fairly easily at 110 while 120 gives me a good amount of panicky 'where the heck am I going to find enough troops to ....' that makes me feel like I am actually a Soviet commander in 41.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2”