Can leaders learn skills like "gun tactics"?

Moderator: Vic

Dampfnudel

Can leaders learn skills like "gun tactics"?

Post by Dampfnudel »

Can leaders learn skills like "gun tactics"? (Meaning that they do have have this skill yet)
I rolled a Cap V leader with 74 WAR, 63 CHAR, 72 WIL and he has 6th sense LVL 21

What a leader! But he has no things like "gun tactics"/"infantry tactics".

Can he learn that through combat?
Twotribes

RE: Can leaders learn skills like "gun tactics"?

Post by Twotribes »

Why would you put him in combat
Favoritism is alive and well here.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

someone correct me if wrong but as I understand it if the leader uses a skill he gets experience in it but don't know now much is needed to increase n skill.
Maerchen

Post by Maerchen »

Dampfnudel, you can make him an S/OHQ-Commander and he sure will be the best Rommel/Patton you will dream of over time.

Just make sure he gets Personal guard FP/Ancient Armor artifact, so his personal combat helps him survive. If he has STR stat of 25 or less, I would advise to attach an advisor with said stratagem set and high strength attribute in addition.

OHQ commanders will learn the needed skills. His Sixth sense skill already rolls at +93, and it adds up to half WIL to all the skill rolls he does IIRC.

Congrats on that guy. I had some of those, and they steamroll once their skills experience kicks in.
The logistics hell this game is IS the fun part! - Maerchen, 2020

The good thing is, we have all the information in the reports. The bad thing is, we have all the information. Maerchen, 2020

Came for SE. Will stay for SE.
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

I am 90% sure that if he is commanding something that would benefit from "Gun Tactics", he gets useage points in "Gun Tactics". Meaning he can learn and increase the skill.

I think only 6th Sense and Improvisation skills can not be improoved via useage - they are what you started at.
Dampfnudel

Post by Dampfnudel »

I made him Commander of a tank corp.

He now unlocked all the commander skills. Now is putting exp into all this nice stuff.

Rolls are insane. 6th Sense+Willpower = Jedi Commander :D
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Until he dies in combat
Sieppo

Post by Sieppo »

I always put these guys as SHQ leaders. They give bonuses to ALL troops instead to just a few.
> What is the hardest thing in the universe?
> A diamond?
> No. 500 machine gun men on a mountain.
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

ORIGINAL: Sieppo

I always put these guys as SHQ leaders. They give bonuses to ALL troops instead to just a few.
For the SHQ, I found Trading most usefull.
The SHQ makes such a incredible amount of High Command Rolls, the skill hits the cap ASAP.
ORIGINAL: Twotribes

Until he dies in combat
This chance depends on heroism score. And is a large difference for the SHQ Commander.
Maerchen

Post by Maerchen »

ORIGINAL: Sieppo

Good solution, but it has some benefits to have good OHQ commanders, too.

SHQ I put them only if INT is high enough, as trade skill depends on it. And SHQ gives all units a bonus for sure, but does not help with retreat, morale that much as an OHQ can do. And in late game, I don't use militia that much that the bonus to all is relevant.

The high 63 CHA is ideal for an OHQ commander. I had some OHQ guys that gave them more AP, had them ramp up bonuses to HP and attack and made my tank units literally invincible.
Skills like Escape Artist, Demolitions, Defensive works, Lead From Front, Deception etc. are OHQ-only and add bonus percanetages to rolls the SHQ cannot do.

The good thing is, we have all the information in the reports. The bad thing is, we have all the information. Maerchen, 2020

Dampfnudel

Post by Dampfnudel »

What is the trigger to learn new stuff?

I gave a good leader a tank army and he gained access to 4 defensive skills, but neither tanks tactics; offensive tactics nor mobile tactis.
Is there a cap, how many of these skills a leader can enable? Because a different leader 11 of these grey skills.
Maerchen

Post by Maerchen »

If he uses relevant units, he will develop the skills. I do not think there is a cap on how many skills you can have.

Once I downgraded my very good SHQ commander to OHQ in the hope he would use the then acquired skills later when I switch him to SHQ again for science, but he wasn't. It took him some turns to get the relevant OHQ skills, and I played War Games and Grand Convention.

zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

ORIGINAL: Dampfnudel

I gave a good leader a tank army and he gained access to 4 defensive skills, but neither tanks tactics; offensive tactics nor mobile tactis.
Is there a cap, how many of these skills a leader can enable? Because a different leader 11 of these grey skills.
Using a Skil gives Useage Points.
Useage Points + XP = high skill level
Skills should be capped at Relevant Attribute. Naturally Feat bonuses and stuff like 6th Sense or Improvisation Might apply both to the total and the rolls.
Dampfnudel

Post by Dampfnudel »

ORIGINAL: zgrssd
ORIGINAL: Dampfnudel

Using a Skil gives Useage Points.
Useage Points + XP = high skill level
Skills should be capped at Relevant Attribute. Naturally Feat bonuses and stuff like 6th Sense or Improvisation Might apply both to the total and the rolls.

He fought an entire war using only tanks and gained several thousand XP.
But he still hase no access to mobile tactics or tank tactics?
Maerchen

Post by Maerchen »

Maybe do a bug report and send a save to Vic? Sounds at least awkward that he didn't pick up a single relevant skill.

Return to “War Room”