Soviet T.B. air values

A complete overhaul and re-development of Gary Grigsby's War in the East, with a focus on improvements to historical accuracy, realism, user interface and AI.

Moderator: Joel Billings

Top(W.)Model

Soviet T.B. air values

Post by Top(W.)Model »

Hi, I have read the relevant parts of the manual and look throught the editor yet I still can't figure out which airgroups are counted as «patrol» in the Northern Front theatre box.

I understand there is indeed one soviet aircarft model labeled as « patrol », but none of the airgroups in my game are actually using it (which means there is no way to make any of my airgroups swap their planes for planes of this model, which is also the case for all torpedoes-equipped planes the soviet side is making anyway, but that's another topic).

I have noticed the Finns are using a recon SB-2 model which is counted as patrol for the axis side, but it's not the case for the same plane use by the Soviet side. Also, the fact that some soviet planes are labelled as « Naval-only » is not reflected anywhere as far as T.B. is concerned, maybe that could be a more relevant category to use than the more axis-oriented « patrol » as far as T.B. requierments are concerned.

Generally speaking, I'm having a hard time figuring out what the air requierment numbers are actually meaning : it can't possibly be CV since this value is only relevant to ground combat (as far as I know). On the other hand, the only value display in the air tab itself is the total/ready number of aircraft use by each airgroups (as opposed to the CV/OB % displayed in the ground force tab).

If someone could explain how these value are calculated, I would be much grateful and pleased.

Attachments
SOVPATROL.jpg
SOVPATROL.jpg (254.01 KiB) Viewed 121 times
Nix77

RE: Soviet T.B. air values

Post by Nix77 »

Scroll down, you should have an MBR-2 Naval Patrol airgroup in Northern Front?
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

I think the last time I checked into this I found that recon aircraft are added into the Patrol value.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Dreamslayer

Post by Dreamslayer »

On T1 NF(TB) has 118 MRAP-SF (38 MBR-2). On the screenshot this unit uses Pe-2R.
Top(W.)Model

Post by Top(W.)Model »

On T1 NF(TB) has 118 MRAP-SF (38 MBR-2). On the screenshot this unit uses Pe-2R.
I should have mention it, but this screenshot is from a StoB campaign game. After looking it up, it looks like 118 MRAP-SF is indeed using Pe-2R on T1 in this campaign.
I think the last time I checked into this I found that recon aircraft are added into the Patrol value.
I was suspecting « Strat Recon » planes to count toward patrol, but I was not sure since Soviet also get to use « naval-only » airgroups of the recon, level and tactical bomber types.

If you are correct, then maybe a « Patrol » type could be added to the relevant « Strat Recon » aircrafts in a future patch. This would not only clarify soviet T.B. requirements, but also allow soviet players to actually use the only patrol-type aircrafts they currently have, since the aircraft swap/upgrade restrictions make it impossible to use the MMBR-2 and the models it updgrade into which means they stay0 in the production pool forever ATM.
Dreamslayer

Post by Dreamslayer »

Anyway, Soviet naval aviation in the game lack of patrol aircrafts.
At start of the war Soviet Fleet had about 750 MBR-2. In the game (GC41) its only 92.
These patrol air-groups and others naval bomber units was used not only for "naval patrol missions" but also against ground targets (even MBR-2's).
Top(W.)Model

Post by Top(W.)Model »

That's true, the only soviet patrol aircraft is the MBR2 and the model it upgrades to (i forgot the exact name). IMO the use of a « patrol » type dosen't make much sense for the soviets since, for them, the actual naval patrolling is limited to « naval-only » airgroups which are actually using level and tactal bombers like Il-2s and B-20s. In turn, this « naval-only » label looks out of place if you consider the air-war rules as a whole package, since these rules are mostly build around aircraft « types » (i.e. recon, level/tactical bomber, fighter, etc.)

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2”