Keeping the Russians under 3 million...

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Campaign Series Matrix Edition Development Group

Rondor11

Keeping the Russians under 3 million...

Post by Rondor11 »

I just cannot seem to keep them under 3 million. The beginning of T3 and they have lost 750,000, most to capture and still they are close to 3.5m now.

Is there something besides surrender that makes a big impact here?

Chris B

Tribute to DD485, the USS Duncan. Sunk at Cape Esperance October 11, 1942 with my 15 year old father aboard. 48 died from wounds and sharks.
carlkay58

RE: Keeping the Russians under 3 million...

Post by carlkay58 »

Hammer them with Deliberate Attacks from your infantry. But you are only on turn 3 so the infantry probably has not made it to the front yet. Actually 750K in 3 turns is pretty good. Turn 3 sees the Soviets get a large bunch of reinforcements - all of those militia divisions get called up and are reflected in the numbers. After those reinforcements the Soviets will slow down a bit with a major slow down in forces starting around turn 7 or 8 until they start getting the destroyed units back into the game on turn 12 or so.

New pockets are also very helpful but that depends on your opponent giving you some opportunities to do so.
Rondor11

Post by Rondor11 »

Thank you, Carl. I love when routs are as good as surrenders against well worn-down units. The Deliberate attack is what triggers this, right?

Chris B

Tribute to DD485, the USS Duncan. Sunk at Cape Esperance October 11, 1942 with my 15 year old father aboard. 48 died from wounds and sharks.
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: Rondor11

Thank you, Carl. I love when routs are as good as surrenders against well worn-down units. The Deliberate attack is what triggers this, right?

its more a high odds win, with variables such as mot vs infantry and clear terrain. So a Pzr division in the clear can trigger a rout/shatter off a hasty attack
carlkay58

Post by carlkay58 »

The increased retreat losses for units with morale at or less than 55 will only take place with Deliberate Attacks after Jun 22 41 turn. While you may generate a rout/shatter with a Hasty Attack you are usually better off with the Deliberate Attacks from your infantry.
Rondor11

Post by Rondor11 »

I find motorizing 1 Infantry division (usually the 269th ID) is helpful in but working with others in AGC and AGS to see how it works against the costs of trucks, etc.
Chris B

Rondor11

Post by Rondor11 »

Got Smolensk in T4 (never came close to that before) and been battering them in the south in particular. Several nice kessels down there and at 1.5 mil wrapped up at the top of T9. Lots of captured trucks to help support our needs.

Learning more as I go and it's nice to see the better results. My OB is in great order going into the fall season. Will hammer away until the thick mud hits and consolidate until snow comes.
Chris B

Return to “The War Room”