Southern Front, trigger or not in t1?

A complete overhaul and re-development of Gary Grigsby's War in the East, with a focus on improvements to historical accuracy, realism, user interface and AI.

Moderator: Joel Billings

Medicusa

Southern Front, trigger or not in t1?

Post by Medicusa »

Hi,
I wonder about the russian southern front trigger. If you dont trigger it, wouldnt that mean you cannot pocket some soviet units around Lvov? I first thought the southern front is south but turns out it is far north of Lvov. So in the case of not triggering this and southern front remains locked, wouldnt I pocket in sum less? I am not even sure I can pocket the southern front. Does anyone have insight in this?

And yes, I know you can take Lvov without triggering this first turn hex.

And lets say u can somehow get anything out of not triggering southern front. Could I still pocket the units around Lvov in later turns by flying Interdiction there to slow them down? I assume that a hard interdiction can cost them 1-2mp per hex which might give me that chance. But does it work and at what cost?
Medicusa

RE: Southern Front, trigger or not in t1?

Post by Medicusa »

One more thing, the text in the manual is still wrong/confusing, is it?
"If a Soviet national hex south or east of 187,187 (just
southeast of Lvov) is Axis controlled then all of Southern
Front and related airbases will be unfrozen."

"south or east" should mean "south AND east"? To be crystal clear, if I go any hex 187+ regardless the hight I won`t trigger it. So if I magically teleport to Moscow on turn 1 it is still not triggered, right?
Bamilus

Post by Bamilus »

Its south and east, so teleporting to Moscow wouldnt trigger it. Imagine a line drawn south of the hex and a line drawn east out of it. You cant be on those lines or within the box they form. You can still surround Lvov but you have to be careful because the trigger is not just a unit occupying a hex, but any hex you convert (which can be done via ZOC on empty hexes).
Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee
Medicusa

Post by Medicusa »

But taking Lvov is not triggering ist right? I only need to win the Lvov battle and get the city on turn 1 and nothing is triggered.

But back to the first question, is it worth avoiding?
Bamilus

Post by Bamilus »

Lvov isn't on the line i mentioned or crosses, so no. You can take it with no issue. I typically take Lvov and push units south to the west of it to trap units west. Then i push panzers north and east of Lvov to set up the larger pocket with 11th army and 3rd romanian on turn 2.
Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: Medicusa

But taking Lvov is not triggering ist right? I only need to win the Lvov battle and get the city on turn 1 and nothing is triggered.

But back to the first question, is it worth avoiding?

nope, you can Lvov and the terrain around it

utterly depends, its doable, there is a reward, its worth it if it fits your strategy, its not if it doesn't

Usually the Soviet Ukrainian forces will fall apart from T6-9 in any case, if you drive east that can yield a lot of VP as you are well placed to feast on the carcass. A big border pocket on T2 may hasten this by a turn or so, but equally your mobile assets are - by definition - in the SW of the Ukraine
Jango32

Post by Jango32 »

I believe this is the border region of the box that you must not cross into to prevent Southern Front's activation, correct? The hexes with the horizontal line going through their center, and all the hexes that I've started highlighting on the left.

It should be fine to go through the Zborov-Tarnopol-Proskurov line of hexes.

Attachments
southern_front_line.jpg
southern_front_line.jpg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 260 times
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: Jango32

I believe this is the border region of the box that you must not cross into to prevent Southern Front's activation, correct? The hexes with the horizontal line going through their center, and all the hexes that I've started highlighting on the left.

yes that is it exactly
OberGeneral

Post by OberGeneral »

ORIGINAL: Jango32

Thanks for this![&o][&o] Very helpful.[:)]

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2”