Expansions

A complete overhaul and re-development of Gary Grigsby's War in the East, with a focus on improvements to historical accuracy, realism, user interface and AI.

Moderators: RedLancer, Joel Billings

tm1

Expansions

Post by tm1 »

Just read the article on expansions sounds great for both areas of the Russian campaign.
Though the developers said one or two scenarios for Finland which I wont complain about.
But what would be even better is the entire Finnish front as a campaign 1941 to 1944 solely focused on that.

Always wanted to capture Murmansk with 20th Gebirgsarmee [:D]
Numdydar

RE: Expansions

Post by Numdydar »

I would only be interested in the expansions if they could be added to the base game in order to expand the Grand Campaign we currently have.

I was very disappointed in Torch for WitW as it did not tie into the overall campaign game. So if these expansions are along the same lines as Torch, then I will take a pass.
Kursk1943

Post by Kursk1943 »

tm1, could you please provide a link to the article about the expansions?
Devast8or

Post by Devast8or »

Kel

Post by Kel »

+1
yes please, integrate the finnish war in the campaign game.
Why design such a huge map if it is just for scrolling north on shaded unplayable hexes ?
Kein Operationsplan reicht mit einiger Sicherheit
über das erste Zusammentreffen
mit der feindlichen Hauptmacht hinaus.
Kursk1943

Post by Kursk1943 »

Thank you, Devast8or!
briklebritt

Post by briklebritt »

Hoping for some short new scenarios. It is much easier to learn this game when starting with short scenarios. After reading the manual for many hours, playing the 41 campaign is still overwhelming me [:@]
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

ORIGINAL: Kel

+1
Why design such a huge map if it is just for scrolling north on shaded unplayable hexes ?

It'd be huge undertaking for very little gain to add Finland as playable into Grand Campaign.

That is because of historical political/military considerations that were different from Germany's ones.

E.g. USA warned Finland that they'd declare war to Finland if we attempted to cut Murmansk railroad connection. Or UK declaration of war when Finns advanced further than 1939 borders etc.

It is modelled reasonably well now, with capture of Leningrad releasing Finnish Corps. But in a sense, it was quite different war from what Germany and allies were having more south.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Kel

Post by Kel »

I know, but I only play the GC.
I will gladly buy an expansion with 1/ 1 or 2 scenarios 2/ 1 or 2 updated/revised gameplay mechanism 3/ 1 alternate art set (counters, terrain, gui)
Kein Operationsplan reicht mit einiger Sicherheit
über das erste Zusammentreffen
mit der feindlichen Hauptmacht hinaus.
Vermin

Post by Vermin »

The Southern Finland map is already populated with all the necessary units in their historical start positions so that area is relatively easy to enable. Some event modding would also be needed and as the Axis it might need a few house rules to prevent exploitation. In principle you could extend northwards but it might be really difficult to replicate the difficulties of supplying units in those areas that limited the size and nature of operations. I'm pretty sure at least one modder is working on Finland (or the southern bit anyway) and I'm sure they'll release it when it's done.
Jeff_Ahl

Post by Jeff_Ahl »

ORIGINAL: Kel

+1

Yeah. +1 here as well...
sven6345789

Post by sven6345789 »

It is modelled reasonably well now, with capture of Leningrad releasing Finnish Corps. But in a sense, it was quite different war from what Germany and allies were having more south.

Correct!

Please no. not integrated into the campaign game. As a stand alone, ok. a winter war 1940 scenario, ok. but regarding the campaign, the solution now as a box is perfect.
Bougainville, November 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. It rained today.

Letter from a U.S. Marine,November 1943
Mehring

Post by Mehring »

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

I would only be interested in the expansions if they could be added to the base game in order to expand the Grand Campaign we currently have.

I was very disappointed in Torch for WitW as it did not tie into the overall campaign game. So if these expansions are along the same lines as Torch, then I will take a pass.
+1
“Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man.”
-Leon Trotsky
First_Contact_Gamer

Post by First_Contact_Gamer »

Certainly I would have a preference for expansions that expand the overall playability of the map in a grand campaign type scenario. There may be complexities to work through but considering the achievements of this team it certainly seems like a task they have the talent to do.

That said, independent scenarios like mentioned in the article I also look forward to.
smartspick

Post by smartspick »

I'd love expansions where it would allow the entire 1941-1945 war for a specific army group (south,centre, north) etc. It would allow for manageable amount of micro and yet not be overwhelming. Yes, I get that the same army groups from 1941 changed and but the general geographic boundaries would still apply.
First_Contact_Gamer

Post by First_Contact_Gamer »

ORIGINAL: smartspick

I'd love expansions where it would allow the entire war for a specific army group (south,centre, north) etc. It would allow for manageable amount of micro and yet not be overwhelming. Yes, I get that the same army groups from 1941 changed and but the general geographic boundaries would still apply.

That is a very interesting idea! I wonder too if it might be more manageable from a development perspective?

This would eliminate the work to "set up" the map, units and conditions as it is already done. I think the hardest part may be trying to trigger the AI to operate remaining forces even though it is all still the same "player/nation".

Unless you're thinking have the map isolated just to where historically that army group operated?
fighterf4u

Post by fighterf4u »

Hoping for some short new scenarios. It is much easier to learn this game when starting with short scenarios. After reading the manual for many hours, playing the 41 campaign is still overwhelming me

+1

We need a Fall Blau scenario, a Kursk scenario, Bagration scenario, a road to Smolensk scenario and a 1944 Soviet invasion of Romania + Hungary scenario
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

ORIGINAL: fighterf4u
Hoping for some short new scenarios. It is much easier to learn this game when starting with short scenarios. After reading the manual for many hours, playing the 41 campaign is still overwhelming me

+1

We need a Fall Blau scenario, a Kursk scenario, Bagration scenario, a road to Smolensk scenario and a 1944 Soviet invasion of Romania + Hungary scenario

All good suggestions.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

smartspick

Post by smartspick »

ORIGINAL: First_Contact_Gamer

ORIGINAL: smartspick

I'd love expansions where it would allow the entire war for a specific army group (south,centre, north) etc. It would allow for manageable amount of micro and yet not be overwhelming. Yes, I get that the same army groups from 1941 changed and but the general geographic boundaries would still apply.

That is a very interesting idea! I wonder too if it might be more manageable from a development perspective?

This would eliminate the work to "set up" the map, units and conditions as it is already done. I think the hardest part may be trying to trigger the AI to operate remaining forces even though it is all still the same "player/nation".

Unless you're thinking have the map isolated just to where historically that army group operated?

Indeed, this is what I meant. I was not clear. The Map outside of the army group areas would be "greyed out" and the historical units withdrawn or deployed per the historical dates.
Mehring

Post by Mehring »

Any news on War in Europe?
“Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man.”
-Leon Trotsky

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2”