Submarine Towed Array Questions

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

butch4343

Submarine Towed Array Questions

Post by butch4343 »

Folks,

I fear I am about to show my lack of Submarine knowledge here, I was thinking whilst trying to create a script for submarines about this.

Many submarines have towed sonar arrays that are used to passively recievce sounds in the water. I also understand that there are layers which effectively acts as a wall to sound at different depths and submarines dip above/below the layer to check for contacts. That got me thinking , would it be possible for a submarine to "trail" its array under the layer , whilst remaining above it? I presume the layer will have different thicknesses dependent on a number of variables , temp, salinity ect.

I will appreciate if this is something that can not be discussed in a public forum as well.

Kind Regards

Butch
Swiso

RE: Submarine Towed Array Questions

Post by Swiso »

cmanouser1

Post by cmanouser1 »

Check the submarine section 9.2.3 of the PDF manual accessible from the launcher, it has a chart explaining exactly this.
butch4343

Post by butch4343 »

Folks

Thanks for this much obliged [:)]

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”