Quick Questions Thread

A complete overhaul and re-development of Gary Grigsby's War in the East, with a focus on improvements to historical accuracy, realism, user interface and AI.

Moderators: RedLancer, Joel Billings

squatter

RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to understand:

Post by squatter »

Question about AI Air assist:

In a game where AI assist is disabled in global settings, does pressing the AI assist button every single turn basically replicate the same results as if AI had been toggled from the start?

I'm just checking to know whether there's any difference in the behaviour/quality of the AI if you chose manual, maybe move a few groups around, then click AI Assist compared to full auto AI.
Bamilus

Post by Bamilus »

ORIGINAL: squatter

Question about AI Air assist:

In a game where AI assist is disabled in global settings, does pressing the AI assist button every single turn basically replicate the same results as if AI had been toggled from the start?

I'm just checking to know whether there's any difference in the behaviour/quality of the AI if you chose manual, maybe move a few groups around, then click AI Assist compared to full auto AI.

I believe so, but with one exception. I prefer having it off so that way i can choose if i want to give to AI. The problem with always leaving it on is that the AI assist runs on turn end, leaving you no chance to adjust anything its done. So if you have AI assist checked on game options screen then youre locked with it. With it off, i can have it run and then still tweak anything after that. Just note that everytime you run it will overwrite your adjustments to air directives or other items, but thats where air doctrines cam come in handy
Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee
loki100

Post by loki100 »

yes, it works to exactly the same rules, just its triggered by the button (so voluntarily) rather than F12 which locks you into the AI-assist.

MaB1708

Post by MaB1708 »

I am starting with Road to Leningrad as Axis. T1. After air phase I see that some freight has been sent out from some of the depots (no logistics phase yet!). I find in the manual that airbases may draw some fuel and ammo during air combat in some circumstances. Now I restart the turn and change the supply priority to 0 for all airbases, which for air bases means no supplies are drawn. Execute airphase but still some of the supplies are sent out from some depots (not so many at least). As w/o logistics phase there is no indicator lines between supply source and target: where might these supplies have gone to? Is there other specific units that draw already during air exec phase?
Thank you!
squatter

Post by squatter »

ORIGINAL: loki100

yes, it works to exactly the same rules, just its triggered by the button (so voluntarily) rather than F12 which locks you into the AI-assist.

Thanks
Bamilus

Post by Bamilus »

Whats the difference between using priority repair and manually assigning a construction unit to a city?
Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee
FriedrichII

Post by FriedrichII »

I am wondering if Riga is captured on T1 does it make sense to move the Heeresgruppe Nord HQ into this city, or the HQ of the 18. Armee?

Also if I do not use Logistic AI I have to design one port to export (to Riga)? Which German port is the best for export? (is port size and also range important?)

Any other hints for the manuell logistic setting for Heeresgruppe Nord would be very appreciated.
carlkay58

Post by carlkay58 »

MaB1708 - setting the airbase supply priority to 0 does not deactivate the in-turn request for supplies.

Bamilus - Priority Repair makes that facility the high priority to be repaired in the hex. Assigning a construction unit to the city will repair one of the facilities in the city - there is no player control over which facility is chosen. I personally only use high priority for directing repair of ports and railyards. I let the system assign the construction unit and thus spend the AP for the priority repair but not for assigning a unit to the city.

FriedrichII - I tend to move the 18th Army HQ to Riga on turn 1. It is close to the rest of its command and will improve the throughput of the city. I also tend to attach all of the Axis RAR Labor units available to the 18th Army HQ and this lets it repair the hexes in between the captured rails. All German ports should already be set to export and any port you capture will default to import. Both port size and range are important to determine how much freight can be shipped between ports. If you want more information you can download my save files in my AAR and check out what I have done through the turns.
Kronolog

Post by Kronolog »

Is it possible to see the numerical value of detection levels? According to the manual (10.2.2) it should still be visible in the pop up when you mouse over enemy units. However, this isn't the case at the present.
CaesarCzech

Post by CaesarCzech »

How do i turn AP the costs for movement and attacks on kinda turned them off somehow and dont know how to turn them back on
M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

ORIGINAL: Kronolog

Is it possible to see the numerical value of detection levels? According to the manual (10.2.2) it should still be visible in the pop up when you mouse over enemy units. However, this isn't the case at the present.

Numeric values are not in this game. That wasn't carried over from the original. 10.2.2. refers to the fact that if you use the shift-t option (also on the map tab), you can see unit detection. 10.2.3 goes on to explain it is the differing shades of color that tell you what the relative value is.
M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

ORIGINAL: CaesarCzech

How do i turn AP the costs for movement and attacks on kinda turned them off somehow and dont know how to turn them back on

Not sure what you see. Do you not see the compass symbol if you select a unit with available movement and hover over another nearby hex?
MaB1708

Post by MaB1708 »

carlkay, thanks!
Kronolog

Post by Kronolog »

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS

ORIGINAL: Kronolog

Numeric values are not in this game. That wasn't carried over from the original. 10.2.2. refers to the fact that if you use the shift-t option (also on the map tab), you can see unit detection. 10.2.3 goes on to explain it is the differing shades of color that tell you what the relative value is.

Ok, thanks for the explanation!
CaesarCzech

Post by CaesarCzech »

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS

ORIGINAL: CaesarCzech

Not sure what you see. Do you not see the compass symbol if you select a unit with available movement and hover over another nearby hex?

Fixed it somehow dont what was the problem
CaesarCzech

Post by CaesarCzech »

Also how can i instruct AI assist to move the planes closer to frontline ?
gids

RE: Quick Questions Thread

Post by gids »

Question:im at T9 as soviet , i have like 1.2 million forces on reserve and they just dont show op on the map!TB box is checked off so i thought AI handled it .Atm my OB is shrinking towards 2 million.....I tried putting TB placement boxes all over the map but nothing happens.What am i doing wrong or not seeing?
FB jacky heusequin
M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

Sorry gids, the Enhanced TB check box is not any sort of AI Assist. You still have to control all movement in and out. What that check box does is allow you to move units out of the box that you might otherwise not be allowed to do as well as cancel transfers of on-map units scheduled for other theater boxes.

The Set Reserve TB Arrival Hex only tells the AI where to send units once you designate them for transfer either through the CR unit tab Transfer option or the TB box by right clicking the unit and choosing the place they should go.
gids

Post by gids »

ok ....how can i get those units from reserve to on map ? :)
FB jacky heusequin
M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

You beat me to it. See above edit.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2”