Understanding CPP generation

A complete overhaul and re-development of Gary Grigsby's War in the East, with a focus on improvements to historical accuracy, realism, user interface and AI.

Moderators: RedLancer, Joel Billings

squatter

Understanding CPP generation

Post by squatter »

Trying to make sure I'm understanding the formula for CPP, as the more I play the more it seems to me this is the secret formula for success...

From the manual:

"CPP are gained at the end of the friendly movement phase. All units will gain one CPP for each 24 unused SMP."

An SMP is Strategic Move Point of which I believe every unit has 200 per turn.

So does that mean that every ground unit that doesn't employ strategic movement in a turn generates a base of 8.3 CPP, regardless of whether it moved using normal movement or not?

The manual also says: "end the turn neither adjacent to the enemy nor in a hex that was not friendly controlled at the start of the turn then
they will gain triple the number of CPPs.

Does this mean that neither being non-adjacent to an enemy, nor being in a friendly hex in themselves contribute to CPP generation - ie both states have to be true for tripling to take place?

The manual says: "units attached to a Soviet Front or Axis Army set to
Assault Status (21.11.2) will gain one CPP for each 12 unused SMP."

Just to be clear, is this also unaffected by normal movement? ie (200SMP/12 = 16.6 CPP) And is this addition of CPP before or after tripling due to 2) above? I assume before.

So am I correct saying that a unit which does not strategically move, which ends its turn in a friendly hex and not adjacent to an enemy, and which has an assault HQ will generate 8.3 + 16.6 x 3 = 74.7CPP?
Bamilus

RE: Understanding CPP generation

Post by Bamilus »

22.4.2 it states that you lose SMP for each tactical movement point spent. So if an infantry began the turn with 10mp, if he moved one hex for 1mp hed lose 20 SMP (200/10). So you have to not only not use rail movement but also not move a unit at all if you want to get a lot of CPP generated. That should answer most of your questions. My understanding is #2 is a both statement, not an or.
Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee
squatter

Post by squatter »

Thank you Bamilus, I should have known that.
Bamilus

Post by Bamilus »

ORIGINAL: squatter

Thank you Bamilus, I should have known that.

No worries. The nanual is good but there are some crucial things that are kinda buried or easy to read over. Im constantly going back and re reading and find i pick up new stuff each time
Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: squatter

So am I correct saying that a unit which does not strategically move, which ends its turn in a friendly hex and not adjacent to an enemy, and which has an assault HQ will generate 8.3 + 16.6 x 3 = 74.7CPP?

not quite but unlike the logistics model this one has a correct answer [;)]

lets take 4 situations and assume the unit has its full 200 SMP left:

a) not in assault command, in ZoC - regain 200/24, ie 8
b) not in assault command, not in ZoC - regain (200/24)*3, ie 25
c) in assault command, in ZoC - regain 200/12 ie 17 (I think it rounds to the nearest integer but this might be 16)
d) in assault command, not in ZoC - regain (200/12)*3, ie 50

The rule on ZoC/Friendly territory are that if either is true you don't get the bonus, so clearly a ZoC hex will always fail but not being in a ZoC but being in a hex that was enemy controlled at the start of the turn means you don't get the 3* bonus either.
squatter

Post by squatter »

Thanks Loki - very clear!

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2”