IKE: add PBEM/hotseat multiplayer to any scenario

IKE: add PBEM/hotseat multiplayer to any scenario

Moderator: MOD_Command

musurca

RE: IKE: add PBEM/hotseat multiplayer to any scenario

Post by musurca »

No donations, please. Give to charity? Call your parents? Buy DLC? All acceptable alternatives.

(but thank you, I'm glad you enjoy it.)
ETF

Post by ETF »

All right brother $50 to Doctors without borders under musura!

Let me see if I can email the receipt and make it a jpeg to you sir. Thanks
My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer
musurca

Post by musurca »

Big update: I've uploaded a new version of the IKE PBEM scenario pack with an additional five new scenarios! This is all thanks to Miguel Molina, who converted five of his all-time classics for PBEM play, and graciously allowed me to include them in this release. They include:

* Frozen War, 2014 (Chile vs. Argentina)
* Helping Brothers, 1990 (Libya vs. Egypt)
* Malvinas - The Pincer, 1982 (Argentina vs. Britain)
* Operation Soberanía, 1978 (Argentina vs. Chile)
* Sakhalin or Karafuto, 2013 (Japan vs. Russia)

Check it out!
SMSDIGITAL

Post by SMSDIGITAL »

Excellent work. Can't wait to test it out. Thanks for putting the hard work and effort into this. MP has been a much sought after mode for years now and i'm sure this addon will have a huge uptake. Job well done!
PeekingDuck2

Post by PeekingDuck2 »

Is there any news/ideas as to why the developers have not as yet released their MP functionality to the commercial product? I remember this has been asked for by the community for several years now.

Good work Musurca! Can't wait to try it out.
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

The Pro version of multiplayer is turn based and requires a local network so is not suited to the commercial version unfortunately.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
stonie

Post by stonie »

ORIGINAL: IainMcNeil

The Pro version of multiplayer is turn based and requires a local network so is not suited to the commercial version unfortunately.

There are tools to simulate local networks over ethernet like LogMeIn Hamachi which gamers have used for a long time. In any case i really look forward to multiplayer in commercial! It would definitely incentivize me to get friends to buy the game in order to PvP.
musurca

Post by musurca »

Hi gang— I've released IKE v1.3 as well as an updated scenario pack featuring one new scenario (Second Battle of Guadalcanal, 1942), bringing the total to 11. You can download it at the top of the thread.

Here are a few of the major new features:

* Don't miss a thing: any new contacts detected on your off-turn will now be reported to you at the start of your next turn. This is to address the exploit that CERTAIN players (you know who you are) were using, in which they would pulse their radars early in their turn to avoid detection by the other player. (Thanks to Miguel Molina for reporting this!)

[center]Image[/center]

* Paint your kill tally: Any kills made by your units on your off-turn are now reported to you at the start of your next turn, as well as the weapon they were killed with. (Thanks to michaelm75au for fixing the bug with ScenEdit_UnitY() that prevented this from being implemented before.)

* Keep in touch: you can now send immediate or scheduled chat messages to your opponents from your special actions menu. (Thanks to CanofWhoop for the suggestion.)

[center]Image[/center]

* Switch from missiles to guns: Revan227 has contributed a new PBEM scenario, the Second Battle of Guadalcanal, 1942, which has been officially added to the scenario pack. Give it a try!

* Consistency, consistency, and a third thing: IKE now makes sure that all players are running the same build of CMO as the host before letting them start a turn.

* Gary Powers: In "North Pacific Shootout," players can now capture their opponent's downed pilots. (Thanks to Rak1445 for the hilarious idea.)

* Bugfixes galore: An embarrassing number of bugs, now fixed. Too many to recount here. Let's just move on and forget it ever happened.

Other news:

* Yooper wrote a great article on Weapons Release covering IKE, and also created a page for IKE on the wiki to introduce new players to the system.

* IKE was mentioned in the legendary Tim Stone's A2Z column, on his new site Tally-Ho Corner. (Check the letter M!)

Thanks to everyone who's played and contributed ideas for IKE's continuing development. Please keep on sending bug reports, gameplay ideas, and new PBEM scenarios to add to our growing pack!
Meroka37

Post by Meroka37 »

Great![&o]
'Better honor without ships, than ships without honor"
boogabooga

Post by boogabooga »

Are the scenarios in the scenario pack the same as those in the actual release?
The boogabooga doctrine for CMO: Any intentional human intervention needs to be able to completely and reliably over-ride anything that the AI is doing at any time.
musurca

Post by musurca »

Are the scenarios in the scenario pack the same as those in the actual release?

At the moment, yes. If/when new PBEM scenarios are submitted before a full new release is ready, I generally update the scenario pack (and add a letter like 1.3a) but not the original release.

I would admit that this is a confusing system, and at some point in the near future I'll probably just keep them entirely separate.

(When the changes from the last few public betas get merged into the Steam build, it's likely that I'll make the PBEM scenario pack a collection on the workshop there, like Kushan's CSP.)
Roby7979

Post by Roby7979 »

Added the dedicated channel on the CMO discord server

CMO Official Discord
ronmexico111

Post by ronmexico111 »

Just curious, is it a requirement that we be running the newest beta release in order to play using the IKE system and scenarios or will the stable update suffice in order for it to run successfully?
"Never get out of the boat" Apocalypse Now
musurca

Post by musurca »

I would recommend running the latest public beta, as many features of IKE (e.g. kill tracking, editor mode blocking, and other stuff that I'm probably forgetting) rely on new features and bug fixes that aren't present in the stable version.
musurca

Post by musurca »

It's Cinco de Mayo, and you know what that means: tacos, tequila, and a new version of your favorite (possibly due to lack of competition) PBEM mod. That's right, I've released IKE v1.31, as well as an updated scenario pack.

Note that the IKE release for authors has now been completely separated from the scenario pack.

This is a smallish but important update:

* Synchronicity: all players in a PBEM match must use the same CMO build as the host. But fear not, public beta enthusiasts: if a new build of CMO is released during your match, you can safely upgrade to it as soon as the host has upgraded and played their turn.

* Closing the Loophole: players using old CMO builds (prior to 1147.17) will be firmly asked to upgrade before playing a PBEM game. It's for your own good. Trust me.

I've also fixed a bug involving manual contact posture setting that absolutely no one noticed, but was driving me crazy. (Thank you to PaulTheWolf and michaelm75au for patiently tracking down the underlying issues.)

Other news:

* Yooper and Alikchi are doing an incredibly entertaining AAR of an IKE-enabled co-op playthrough of Shamal, 1991 on the Something Awful forum. Check it out!
lecrop

Post by lecrop »

Amazing mod, works like a charm [&o]
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

ORIGINAL: IainMcNeil

How does IKE compares to the pro MP version ?
Winner of the first edition of the Command: Modern Operations COMPLEX PBEM Tournament (April 2022) :-)
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

EDIT *error* sorry
Winner of the first edition of the Command: Modern Operations COMPLEX PBEM Tournament (April 2022) :-)
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

After having payed my first game I have to say that it is fabulous !!! Playing against another human is incredibly fun. Everything becomes possible. The field of possible tactics is infinite. I'm REALLY enjoying it ! Brilliant. And the 3 impulses by turn with no orders possible while the action is unfolding is GREAT. Definitely gives the feel of been the Commander. Tough decisions to make each phase !

Hope that more PvP scenarios are available soon, including larger ones with naval/subs + air-to-air + land strikes (like Canary's Cage and even larger).

Congrats to the modder !!

This even gives me incentives to look at this LUA thing and the scen editor. I hope that the PBEM community developpes !
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

Just tried to use the LUA script and modify a scenario to have it PBEMable. It's really easy in fact ! Until now I just used the IKE scen from the pack.

Just one question : if I want to use a scenario from a DLC like e.g. Chains of War, should the 2 players own the DLC ?

Return to “Multiplayer PBEM - Unofficial”