Quick Questions Thread

A complete overhaul and re-development of Gary Grigsby's War in the East, with a focus on improvements to historical accuracy, realism, user interface and AI.

Moderator: Joel Billings

dudefan

Quick Questions Thread

Post by dudefan »

This can be used by everyone as QQ thread.

I will start.

1. Is it better to keep Army group HQs etc. On rails all the time like in Wite1?

2. what is the point if a flak in a corps is motorized? Since it stays with the hq, speed is a non factor? Does it only drain fuel?
squatter

RE: Quick Questions Thread

Post by squatter »

I'll join in:

Does the size/rank of an HQ sitting on a depot matter when you want to increase the depot supply draw (ie does parking an army group on a depot increase the depot supply draw more so than parking a corps HQ on the depot?)
carlkay58

Post by carlkay58 »

Answers:

dudefan

1. It is better to keep ALL HQs on depots - not just rails. Depots are now the center of the logistics system and the larger the railyard the larger the depot.

2. Motorized Flak are motorized units - they spend fuel and have internal trucks for transportation. They will spend MPs as motorized units and absorb fatigue accordingly. If you attach non-motorized flak to motorized units they will need to spend trucks to keep them with the unit - so they are still using fuel.

squatter:

Yes. The larger the HQ the more it benefits the depot/railyard throughput. So Army Group/Front HQs are better than Army are better than Corps.

dudefan

Post by dudefan »

Thank you
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: dudefan
1. Is it better to keep Army group HQs etc. On rails all the time like in Wite1?

Your Army Group, Army and Corps HQs will all increase the capacity of a depot on a rail line if they are positioned in the same location. I tend to plan their locations to make sure they keep their subordinate units in command range and, if possible, boost a depot.
Does the size/rank of an HQ sitting on a depot matter when you want to increase the depot supply draw (ie does parking an army group on a depot increase the depot supply draw more so than parking a corps HQ on the depot?)

Army Group HQs do the most, then Army, then Corps. They are increasing the capacity. To really maximize the draw, increase the supply priority of units near the depot, use refit, put a FBD on the depot and keep it stationary.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
squatter

Post by squatter »

Fantastic, thanks
glcm1961

Post by glcm1961 »

I let the AI handle my depots and air campaign until I get a better grasp of things. My question has to do with depots. Should I care where they are? Is there a hotkey that tells me where they are? Thanks!
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: glcm1961
I let the AI handle my depots and air campaign until I get a better grasp of things. My question has to do with depots. Should I care where they are? Is there a hotkey that tells me where they are? Thanks!

If the AI is handling your depots, all you really need to worry about is repairing the rail lines and keeping them close to your front. The logistics view (N key) will let you see the depots, their priorities and the rail usage. The 8 key will let you see exactly which depot a unit drawing from for most of its supply. Remember that if you are using the AI depot management you can't use up your APs on other things, you have to leave it enough to manage the depots for you.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
glcm1961

Post by glcm1961 »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Remember that if you are using the AI depot management you can't use up your APs on other things, you have to leave it enough to manage the depots for you.

Regards,

- Erik

Thank you for your response! Could you expound on the quote above? I have to admit that I haven't read up on the logistics part of the manual, so I'm not sure what you mean by using my AP (action points?) on other things. Are you talking about my construction units that are repairing the railways? What are the other things I could be using my APs on? Appreciate any light you could shed on this. I promise I'll read up on this as soon as I tear myself away from playing the game! lol.
loki100

Post by loki100 »

Thank you for your response! Could you expound on the quote above? I have to admit that I haven't read up on the logistics part of the manual, so I'm not sure what you mean by using my AP (action points?) on other things. Are you talking about my construction units that are repairing the railways? What are the other things I could be using my APs on? Appreciate any light you could shed on this. I promise I'll read up on this as soon as I tear myself away from playing the game! lol.

AP are Admin Pts, they are a game currency that sort of reflects limited time and attention for your senior command. In this case the AI routine to auto-construct depots won't work unless you have at least 5 Admin Pts left. These will then be used up and will build up to 10 depots.

You mean ... you haven't read the manual [8D]
dudefan

Post by dudefan »

How do transport planes count in theater boxes? Do they count to the total air day percentage? Can I move them all to the map without a penalty?
juv95hrn

Post by juv95hrn »

Correct me if I am wrong. Since there is no national rail pool in WITE2, encompassing all trains, you can basically train transport ground units to your hearts content behind your lines, as long as those LOCAL rail lines and freight capability isn´t needed for supply?

Ie. its less of an issue to move long range Soviet units from the Eastern map edge and Caucusus in towards the front lines really, since far away from the front, supply isnt really an option?

I am still uncertain about the strategic rail movement limitations even after glancing at the manual...

Thanks!
"Yes, I am the henchman of the Devil but my services are primarily ceremonial..."
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: juv95hrn

Correct me if I am wrong. Since there is no national rail pool in WITE2, encompassing all trains, you can basically train transport ground units to your hearts content behind your lines, as long as those LOCAL rail lines and freight capability isn´t needed for supply?

Ie. its less of an issue to move long range Soviet units from the Eastern map edge and Caucusus in towards the front lines really, since far away from the front, supply isnt really an option?

I am still uncertain about the strategic rail movement limitations even after glancing at the manual...

Thanks!

I'm afraid you are wrong [8D]

there is a rail capacity/pool but its geographical and shifting. Any rail hex can draw on rail capacity (generated by level 2 or large rail yards) within 30 rail hexes - the further away you call on the greater the entrain costs. But, esp at the margins, those railyards are supplying rail cap to other hexes.

As a test, grab one of the late war scenarios, put a Soviet rifle corps on a train and move it, then another (same hex if you can, nearby if not) and you'll see the practical impact

Now units don't arrive on the map edge as in WiTE1, if they come out the national reserve you set the arrival hex (subject to the constraints in the manual), if they are a scripted transfer they have a preset arrival hex.
juv95hrn

Post by juv95hrn »

ORIGINAL: loki100

Thanks!

I'm afraid you are wrong [8D]

there is a rail capacity/pool but its geographical and shifting. Any rail hex can draw on rail capacity (generated by level 2 or large rail yards) within 30 rail hexes - the further away you call on the greater the entrain costs. But, esp at the margins, those railyards are supplying rail cap to other hexes.

As a test, grab one of the late war scenarios, put a Soviet rifle corps on a train and move it, then another (same hex if you can, nearby if not) and you'll see the practical impact

Now units don't arrive on the map edge as in WiTE1, if they come out the national reserve you set the arrival hex (subject to the constraints in the manual), if they are a scripted transfer they have a preset arrival hex.

Thank you. Local pool of 30 hexes of shifting size. Any way to check this from one location? All I can find is the weight of the land units (same place as WITE1).

Of course. TB hex.

Much better systems, just need to grasp the manual and UI. It´s all a bit much to take in when you are new to the game, although I am sure it will become second nature soon enough.

I guess the main balance is, dont overextend your local rail system shuffling troops around, if you need more supplies. Milage may vary, pun intended. ;-)
"Yes, I am the henchman of the Devil but my services are primarily ceremonial..."
loki100

Post by loki100 »

Thank you. Local pool of 30 hexes of shifting size. Any way to check this from one location? All I can find is the weight of the land units (same place as WITE1).

not really. In the movement phase, then when you press F2 you'll see the cap in that hex - for now (it'll appear at the top right hand side of the tabs). If you decide to rail move something else first then its possible that value has decreased (in part as railyards at the edge of that grid may well send their capacity somewhere else).

The problems come in the logistics phase and the knock ons. Clearly all the allocation etc is out of your sight as its part of the logistics processing but that can affect the next move phase (& vice-versa). One way is that if between your last move phase and you last logistics phase you overloaded a rail hex (here I'd use around 10,000 tons as a rough rule), some of that is left in the hex, so suddenly that hex immediately wants more SMP to be used (ie demands more rail cap to move the units). The other is you entrained a unit and didn't detrain (quite likely) then that rail cap is locked up in the unit. So its not available to a new unit/supply move even if they are within 30 hexes of the notional source.
Jajusha

Post by Jajusha »

I can't for the life of me understand how to send units to the other theatre boxes with "enhanced player theatre box controls on"

I'm at turn two in GC with axis, and just took VP penalties from having too little units on Western front.
Also have infantry divisions that have just arrived on the map, and i want to send some of them back...

As far as i can tell, they follow all the rules in 13.1.3 (not in a ZOC, in a rail, 4 hexes away from nearest enemy, and can move) but, but there is simply no option anywhere i can see to either send them into the reserve, or into another t. box.

What am i missing here?
M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

You have to wait one turn before a newly arrived unit can transfer.
Jajusha

Post by Jajusha »

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS

You have to wait one turn before a newly arrived unit can transfer.

That was it, thank you. After one turn, the "transfer" option shows up just fine
HardLuckYetAgain

Post by HardLuckYetAgain »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

ORIGINAL: dudefan

Your Army Group, Army and Corps HQs will all increase the capacity of a depot on a rail line if they are positioned in the same location. I tend to plan their locations to make sure they keep their subordinate units in command range and, if possible, boost a depot.

Army Group HQs do the most, then Army, then Corps. They are increasing the capacity. To really maximize the draw, increase the supply priority of units near the depot, use refit, put a FBD on the depot and keep it stationary.

Regards,

- Erik

Just a further note, you can put two Army HQ's on one depot & get even larger increase :) You can do the same increase with Army Group & a Army HQ for an even bigger jump than two Army HQ's :) Also note a Single German Corps HQ won't increase BUT if you put 2 German Corps HQ it will increase :) You get "no" extra benefit for stacking 3 of any of the HQ's.

This is nice to know for all who don't know.
German Turn 1 opening moves. The post that keeps on giving https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=390004
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: HardLuckYetAgain

Just a further note, you can put two Army HQ's on one depot & get even larger increase :) You can do the same increase with Army Group & a Army HQ for an even bigger jump than two Army HQ's :) Also note a Single German Corps HQ won't increase BUT if you put 2 German Corps HQ it will increase :) You get "no" extra benefit for stacking 3 of any of the HQ's.

This is nice to know for all who don't know.

only up to a point, see 25,7,8
The bonus for a HQ placed on a depot can never add more than 4 times the damage adjusted depot capacity from the railyard and port values

also:
Some HQs can increase the depot maximum capacity by 100 times the number of support squads in the HQ, subject to limits due to the type of HQ. A type 2 HQ can increase capacity by up 35k, type 3 HQ can increase capacity by up 20k and type 4 HQ can increase capacity by up to 5k

So a HQ short on TOE might not add that much (can affect the Soviets early game in particular) while a single corps adds a bit but it is marginal

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2”