High-speed rail fix

A military-oriented and sci-fi wargame, set on procedural planets with customizable factions and endless choices.

Moderator: Vic

solops

High-speed rail fix

Post by solops »

When is the high speed rail upgrade going to be fixed? Right now old rail can only be upgraded by turning it off and waiting for it to degrade and disappear, an unrealistic process that takes an absurd amount of time. Why not just allow high speed rail to be built in the same cities as old rail? Even have to add new track to be laid, if you must? Almost anything is better than what we have now, which is both goofy and unreal.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.-Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Judge Learned Hand
Vic

RE: High-speed rail fix

Post by Vic »

I have a feature to disband assets on the drawing board.
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

Generally the ability to "sidegrade" should be added to the game. However this is no simple fix, but a relevant change to how building and upgrading works.

In the mean, try "injection":
Build the Highspeed Rail 1 hex outside the city, on a dedicated 1 hex railline.
Block anything but pull points from flowing into that hex.
That way the Railpoints from that hex will "inject" into the main Rail Aorta.
Mercutio

Post by Mercutio »

I think being able to build a high speed rail station in the city with a rail station is correct. It is totally fine to have to build a second rail line for the high speed rail and have it "double track" next to normal rail. The current system seems unrealistic. Since when can a city have one or the other? Why would I want my city with the SHQ (usually the capital) trash it's level 4 rail station and start over? Why would I want to build the station outside the city? It makes no sense to me.
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

Similarly, I have a situation in my current game where I built a Rail Hub at an important location to get supplied to my troops and then the next turn started building a Rail Station. I assumed the Rail Hub would continue to draw in the MagLev points while the Rail Station was being built but this wasn't the case. The rail system stopped completely which I assume was due to the construction of the station.
BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar »

As zgrssd already mentioned, building the station outside of the city might be the best way of doing it anyway...
fb.asp?m=4932670
ORIGINAL: DTurtle
[...]
This way, the city gets the full number of points available on the main route! You don't even have to have the rail station right next to the city, but anywhere along the route where needed (though having it right next to the city will have it have the maximum amount of rail points available).
As I noted on the picture, you can also do this with truck stations. However, you will need to have a lvl 1 truck station mothballed in order to stop the civilians from building a new one. Also, usually trucks are a lot more AP constrained so you need to refocus a lot more anyway. So it might only be useful in certain use cases.
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

ORIGINAL: DasTactic

Similarly, I have a situation in my current game where I built a Rail Hub at an important location to get supplied to my troops and then the next turn started building a Rail Station. I assumed the Rail Hub would continue to draw in the MagLev points while the Rail Station was being built but this wasn't the case. The rail system stopped completely which I assume was due to the construction of the station.
I think that was mostly the city having no workers. AI really loves to use the full recruitment capacity during wars.
Sieppo

Post by Sieppo »

I dont understand what you are all talking about with those "fixes"? Just build it next to the city and it will work fine. IMO the only thing the high speed does is push the same rail points further than the normal station (10 vs 20 tiles etc).
> What is the hardest thing in the universe?
> A diamond?
> No. 500 machine gun men on a mountain.
jimwinsor

Post by jimwinsor »

This might not be popular, but I think the best solution to HSR is to create an entirely new connection type to support it. So the connection types in the game would be:

Dirt Road
Sealed Road
Rail
HSR/Hyperloop/MagLev (or whatever you want to call it).

Yes, this will require a lot more infrastructure investment and make the game a bit tougher, but this should solve most of the current issues and allow rail and HSR stations to co-habitate.
Streaming as "Grognerd" at https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd
BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar »

Do you mean, a completely different 3rd type of points ?
(Dirt Road and Sealed Road sharing truck points.)

Or just a better rail - like Sealed Road is an upgrade to Dirt Road - that normal trains could still take ?

The 2nd of these would still have the issue of the incompatibility of rail and HSR stations, unless you were to remove the HSR station entirely from the game ? (Which could be a shame, since it's also different by costing electric energy rather than oil...)

P.S.: Alternatively, what if the HSR only existed as a private version, and upon researching the HSR tech you could privatize your normal train station, which would turn it into a HSR station ? (Which might, or might not, consume public energy.)
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

ORIGINAL: Sieppo

I dont understand what you are all talking about with those "fixes"? Just build it next to the city and it will work fine. IMO the only thing the high speed does is push the same rail points further than the normal station (10 vs 20 tiles etc).
A proper fix would be the ability to put the station into the city. Allowing it to co-exist or at least replace the normal rail station.

Also you are aware that the 1.08.05 beta finally fixed the issue with Logistics Assets past T1 having a worse Fuel Efficiency? So there is the same reason to get high Tier versions in a single hex as for everything else.

Or just a better rail - like Sealed Road is an upgrade to Dirt Road - that normal trains could still take ?
Personally I would take the better Rail Hex thing. Investment for highspeed is usually focussed on the rail part, not the Station part.
jimwinsor

Post by jimwinsor »

ORIGINAL: BlueTemplar

Do you mean, a completely different 3rd type of points ?
(Dirt Road and Sealed Road sharing truck points.)

The 2nd of these would still have the issue of the incompatibility of rail and HSR stations, unless you were to remove the HSR station entirely from the game ? (Which could be a shame, since it's also different by costing electric energy rather than oil...)

P.S.: Alternatively, what if the HSR only existed as a private version, and upon researching the HSR tech you could privatize your normal train station, which would turn it into a HSR station ? (Which might, or might not, consume public energy.)

Yeah, I think a 3rd type of points would be the most realistic; a hyperloop/maglev wouldn't likely be able to use regular tracks any more than it could use a dirt or paved road (and vice versa).
Streaming as "Grognerd" at https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd
Zanotirn

Post by Zanotirn »

I'm not sure it's actually hyperloop/maglev in game. The points are called so, but the station icon clearly shows a bullet train on regular tracks. Which would put it in the same boat as French TGV, German ICE, Japanese Shinkansen and so on - these require tracks built to more strict standards, but regular trains are still able to take them (which could be a case for having a high-speed track an upgrade on regular rail).
Sieppo

Post by Sieppo »

ORIGINAL: Zanotirn

I'm not sure it's actually hyperloop/maglev in game. The points are called so, but the station icon clearly shows a bullet train on regular tracks. Which would put it in the same boat as French TGV, German ICE, Japanese Shinkansen and so on - these require tracks built to more strict standards, but regular trains are still able to take them (which could be a case for having a high-speed track an upgrade on regular rail).

Yes I absolutely agree that the rail system would have to need to be upgraded in some way. It's a easy fix. High-speed is a different building thus you can build it into the city with the old one but needs upgraded tracks. Old one can use new upgraded tracks.
> What is the hardest thing in the universe?
> A diamond?
> No. 500 machine gun men on a mountain.
Geroj55

Post by Geroj55 »

Why overcomplicate everything? Just let me build HR on the same place where railstation is and when its ready - BOOP - old railstation is deleted. I dont want any workaround, whole schematics about how to make it outside of the city, wait 10 turns until old one is deleted or some different type of railway

Return to “Shadow Empire”