Is it possible to add a custom pilot/captain to a campaign?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

VonWulfen

Is it possible to add a custom pilot/captain to a campaign?

Post by VonWulfen »

Hello all.
I am slowly getting to grips with the game while following Strategy Gaming Dojo's excellent tutorial videos.
There are 11 videos in the series, each around an hour long. I am currently on video 9, and learning about air units.
I am also using the excellent "Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE" created by Kull.
Both these resources are highly recommended and I would urge anyone new to the game to check them out.
But I digress;
Being an avid role player I always try to insert my role play character into every game I play, its just something I like to do :)
I noticed that WITPAE you can assign specific Captains/Commanders/Pilots to Ships, planes etc and can even follow individuals progress and see them in combat reports.
Is it possible using the editor to create and add a custom captain or pilot to the main campaign?
If so, I would very much appreciate any tips on how I would go about this :)
Cheers
‘Be so good as to call me an elephant,’
Stephen Maturin
Ambassador

RE: Is it possible to add a custom pilot/captain to a campaign?

Post by Ambassador »

If you add the pilot or leader before you start the scenario, yes, you can.

Just make sure that the nationality, rank and type of leader match with where you want to place yourself.
Platoonist

Post by Platoonist »

If you have the patience, you can edit the first and last name of every pilot or commander in the game that is available in the editor. They probably number in the thousands. Additionally, are many other pilot names that are generically generated. I guess the editor could only hold so many 'named' individuals. But, you have to do this before you start a game. You can't edit as you go.

Attachments
Pilots.jpg
Pilots.jpg (191.13 KiB) Viewed 10 times
VonWulfen

Post by VonWulfen »

ORIGINAL: Ambassador

If you add the pilot or leader before you start the scenario, yes, you can.

Just make sure that the nationality, rank and type of leader match with where you want to place yourself.
Many thanks, sir.
Stephen Maturin
VonWulfen

Post by VonWulfen »

ORIGINAL: Platoonist

If you have the patience, you can edit the first and last name of every pilot or commander in the game that is available in the editor. They probably number in the thousands. Additionally, are many other pilot names that are generically generated. I guess the editor could only hold so many 'named' individuals. But, you have to do this before you start a game. You can't edit as you go.

Most excellent, very much appreciated, sir.
As soon as I am done with the tutorials I shall dive into the editor and create a custom me :)
Stephen Maturin
Platoonist

Post by Platoonist »

ORIGINAL: VonWulfen

As soon as I am done with the tutorials I shall dive into the editor and create a custom me :)

Make sure you get the custom 'you' fully trained in the appropriate skills and don't get shot down or sunk. A nice safe posting in Oahu near the Royal Hawaiian Hotel would be my first choice. [:D]
VonWulfen

Post by VonWulfen »

Make sure you get the custom 'you' fully trained in the appropriate skills and don't get shot down or sunk. A nice safe posting in Oahu near the Royal Hawaiian Hotel would be my first choice. [:D]
I will not be tempted to create a HQ bound commander or pilot haha.
I will probably assignee myself to a DD in a Hunter TF. Or, a sub commander. I like the idea of a lone wolf, almost like an age of sail frigate on a cruise I suppose :)
Yes, I think a sub commander would suit me perfectly, my own version of Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey in a sub, thought I doubt I shall be taking many prizes :)
Stephen Maturin
Nami Koshino

Post by Nami Koshino »

But then, using the editor, you could just assign yourself a godly experience rating of 99 and forgo the training. [8D]
Rice is a great snack when you're hungry and you want 2,000 of something to eat.
VonWulfen

Post by VonWulfen »

ORIGINAL: Nami Koshino

But then, using the editor, you could just assign yourself a godly experience rating of 99 and forgo the training. [8D]
I very much like the idea of a well trained commander who has just arrived at his post. This way I could follow his progress and see how he develops, that is assuming the game tracks his experience and skills as they improve?
Stephen Maturin
Trugrit

Post by Trugrit »

Hello all.
I am slowly getting to grips with the game while following Strategy Gaming Dojo's excellent tutorial videos.
There are 11 videos in the series, each around an hour long. I am currently on video 9, and learning about air units.
I am also using the excellent "Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE" created by Kull.
Both these resources are highly recommended and I would urge anyone new to the game to check them out.
But I digress;
Being an avid role player I always try to insert my role play character into every game I play, its just something I like to do :)
I noticed that WITPAE you can assign specific Captains/Commanders/Pilots to Ships, planes etc and can even follow individuals progress and see them in combat reports.
Is it possible using the editor to create and add a custom captain or pilot to the main campaign?
Cheers

Yep, you can do it.

Back in 2014 I created a Hollywood scenario for Burma.
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4074985

I added the characters I wanted and I even created custom art and music for it.
I found a very good Allied player and as I recall we had one hell of a fight.

"A man's got to know his limitations" -Dirty Harry
Nami Koshino

Post by Nami Koshino »

I very much like the idea of a well trained commander who has just arrived at his post. This way I could follow his progress and see how he develops, that is assuming the game tracks his experience and skills as they improve?

Yes, you do see pilot, ship and leader skills increase (and sometimes decrease depending on the circumstances) Pilot skills tend to jump the most, especially if that pilot has a very good day in the air downing enemy planes.
Rice is a great snack when you're hungry and you want 2,000 of something to eat.
VonWulfen

Post by VonWulfen »

ORIGINAL: Trugrit

Hello all.
But I digress;
Cheers

Yep, you can do it.

Back in 2014 I created a Hollywood scenario for Burma.
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4074985

I added the characters I wanted and I even created custom art and music for it.
I found a very good Allied player and as I recall we had one hell of a fight.

Haha, that sounds a hoot :)
Will read with much interest.
Stephen Maturin
VonWulfen

Post by VonWulfen »

ORIGINAL: Nami Koshino

Yes, you do see pilot, ship and leader skills increase (and sometimes decrease depending on the circumstances) Pilot skills tend to jump the most, especially if that pilot has a very good day in the air downing enemy planes.
I am so glad this is the case, I think it will add a new dimension to an already engrossing game.
Stephen Maturin
Platoonist

Post by Platoonist »

There was a game once where I created a reserve pool of Marine pilots with over the top macho names. 'Butch' Deadlift became one of my top aces eventually. [:D]

Attachments
ToughGuyz.jpg
ToughGuyz.jpg (149.25 KiB) Viewed 9 times
VonWulfen

Post by VonWulfen »

I was just looking through the SS units already present in the Dec 8 full campaign start.
There seems to be quite a few different sub types.
It got me to thinking which class of sub would most suit my commander on a cruise idea.
Endurance and reliability would be my first consideration I think. He will be needing these in order to successfully be as independent as possible.
I know we will have new models trickling down the upgrade pipeline but of the starting sub classes, which one would be considered a prime candidate?
Stephen Maturin
VonWulfen

Post by VonWulfen »

There was a game once where I created a reserve pool of Marine pilots with over the top macho names. 'Butch' Deadlift became one of my top aces eventually. [:D]

Some of those names are hilarious lol
Stephen Maturin
Platoonist

Post by Platoonist »

I know we will have new models trickling down the upgrade pipeline but of the starting sub classes, which one would be considered a prime candidate?

My personal preference would be the Narwhal/Nautilus/Argonaut type. They are unique as there are only the three like them. Plus, those six inch cruiser type guns are a hoot if you should roll a surface action against a merchant ship. USN subs of all types can be frustrating at the start of a 1941 campaign. Lousy Mark 14 torpedoes on most of them, expect for the S-class which have a good working torpedo but are hobbled by short range and less torpedoes stowed aboard.
VonWulfen

Post by VonWulfen »

My personal preference would be the Narwhal/Nautilus/Argonaut type. They are unique as there are only the three like them. Plus, those six inch cruiser type guns are a hoot if you should roll a surface action against a merchant ship. USN subs of all types can be frustrating at the start of a 1941 campaign. Lousy Mark 14 torpedoes on most of them, expect for the S-class which have a good working torpedo but are hobbled by short range and less torpedoes stowed aboard.
Many thanks for the info once again sir.
I shall dive into the game and take a look at the ones you suggest.
Out of curiosity, when new models arrive, is it possible to transfer a sub commander to the new sub type?
Stephen Maturin
Ambassador

Post by Ambassador »

I will probably assignee myself to a DD in a Hunter TF. Or, a sub commander. I like the idea of a lone wolf, almost like an age of sail frigate on a cruise I suppose :)
Yes, I think a sub commander would suit me perfectly, my own version of Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey in a sub, thought I doubt I shall be taking many prizes :)
A pilot may be killed by an unlucky accident, or in combat due to a bad luck streak. It’s much safer to be a leader. However, ship captains may get killed if their ship sinks.

A good spot to go would be to command the Boise. You can get much of the feel of POB’s series with a light cruiser, in the early campaign at least, and ambush Japanese convoys.

Alternatively, you might include several versions of yourself, at different ranks. Say, your first « you » is a LCDR or CDR, and commands an old DD in the Philippines, or even just a LT in charge of a PT boat (and squadron). And you include ulterior versions of « you » with a higher rank, moving up the ladders and commanding more imposing ships along the war (and giving you another chance in case of a sinking « kills » your alter-ego). Just make sure not to assign more than one of your versions at the same time.

ÉDIT: and now, I wonder if I shouldn’t head to the music room of the Governor’s House, for another circumnavigation... it’s been a long time.
VonWulfen

Post by VonWulfen »

ORIGINAL: Ambassador

A pilot may be killed by an unlucky accident, or in combat due to a bad luck streak. It’s much safer to be a leader. However, ship captains may get killed if their ship sinks.

A good spot to go would be to command the Boise. You can get much of the feel of POB’s series with a light cruiser, in the early campaign at least, and ambush Japanese convoys.

Alternatively, you might include several versions of yourself, at different ranks. Say, your first « you » is a LCDR or CDR, and commands an old DD in the Philippines, or even just a LT in charge of a PT boat (and squadron). And you include ulterior versions of « you » with a higher rank, moving up the ladders and commanding more imposing ships along the war (and giving you another chance in case of a sinking « kills » your alter-ego). Just make sure not to assign more than one of your versions at the same time.

ÉDIT: and now, I wonder if I shouldn’t head to the music room of the Governor’s House, for another circumnavigation... it’s been a long time.
Many thanks for this multiple me idea, I will most definitely think on it.
By the by, I will be calling on the port admiral, and paying my respects to Mrs Heart :)
Stephen Maturin

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”