OT - interesting mission of the B-52 in the Cold War era

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Ambassador

OT - interesting mission of the B-52 in the Cold War era

Post by Ambassador »

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/former-b-52-pilot-tells-the-story-behind-this-photo-of-two-buffs-buzzing-uss-nimitz-aircraft-carrier

I found this story while trying to find information on a photo of a B-52 on the deck of CV-68, which I suppose was a photoshop montage (I was just trying to find a confirmation on the net, to show the proof to a friend).

I’ve always been fascinated by the extreme long range of the B-52, and this story showcases it. They flew from Guam - a few decades earlier, the B-29 were barely reaching Japan from there.

You can keep your USS Nimitz in the ‘80s, I’ll just take one B-52 squadron back to 1942...
RangerJoe

RE: OT - interesting mission of the B-52 in the Cold War era

Post by RangerJoe »

Those things are very loud when they flow over your head at 1000 feet.[X(]
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

I really hope they'd up-engine them. Plus would be amusing to see their 100 yr anniversary in USAF. That is if I live that long [:'(]

I think modern engines would be more powerful and fuel-efficient.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

Those things are very loud when they flow over your head at 1000 feet.[X(]
One flew over my car as we were driving past Minot AFB. Not nearly as loud as the B-1b at an air show that made a low-slow pass then folded the wings back and cut in the afterburner to climb almost vertical - ear assaulting thunder and impact on the chest and belly. Same for a Vulcan bomber when it did that nearly overhead while practicing for the Toronto Air Show at CFB Trenton, Ontario.

At the CFB Moose Jaw Air Show the CF-101 Voodoos showed off by cutting in their afterburners with a solid thump, while the CF-105 Starfighters 'jazzed' their throttle to make the engine scream. All good entertainment. [:)]
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”