Question about Galactic Ship Movement

The Galaxy Lives On! Distant Worlds, the critically acclaimed 4X space strategy game is back with a brand new 64-bit engine, 3D graphics and a polished interface to begin an epic new Distant Worlds series with Distant Worlds 2. Distant Worlds 2 is a vast, pausable real-time 4X space strategy game. Experience the full depth and detail of turn-based strategy, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game.

Moderator: MOD_DW2

LordMM

RE: Question about Galactic Ship Movement

Post by LordMM »

ORIGINAL: ncc1701e

Will it be possible in DW2 to intercept an enemy fleet with hyperdeny devices in the middle of no where meaning between two systems?
Or, will space combat always happen in a system?

That would actually be a brilliant idea. Notice an incoming enemy fleet. Place a hyperdeny in their path and setup an Ambush.
It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly, than to live somebody else's life with perfection.
LordMM

Post by LordMM »

ORIGINAL: Larsenex

I can see choke points are more viable in tight clusters where you have groups of stars separated by void spaces. That would make those edge systems very strategic and useful as fortress/barrier areas to your territory.

A galaxy with smooth even distribution of stars would effectively negate the issue mentioned as you have no real choke points.

I also wonder if you could hide entire fleets inside Nebulae and other space geological areas. Also, what you said this would be very interesting on a clusters map where you have very few points of entry...
It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly, than to live somebody else's life with perfection.
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

ORIGINAL: LordMM

Will it be possible in DW2 to intercept an enemy fleet with hyperdeny devices in the middle of no where meaning between two systems?
Or, will space combat always happen in a system?

That would actually be a brilliant idea. Notice an incoming enemy fleet. Place a hyperdeny in their path and setup an Ambush.

Yep I am dreaming to do this in DW1 but it seems not possible. Hope DW2 will add this possibility.
Let's wait Erik's feedback.
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
Sild

Post by Sild »

[/quote]
Omg so kinda like Elite Dangerous?

Pretty much. Except in Elite you can't jump to deep space, as far as I know. In this you can.

As far as I understand it, besides the hypertravel speed that improves with tech, now you also have max jump range within one jump. So if before it was a cruise, now its more like hops. Better tech, less hops. Among other improvements that come with tech, probably, like fuel consumption and others.
SirHoraceHarkness

Post by SirHoraceHarkness »

I was able to intercept fleets in DWU with hyperdeny equipped cap ships. You had to be faster than their fleet then chase them and once in range the hyperdeny would turn on and both you and the ships caught would drop out of warp. Same with intercepting incoming fleets but you had to be positioned perfectly for them to run over your own ships area of effect. Obviously the bigger the blob of cap ships the better the chance of catching them. This should be doable in DW2.
Intel i5 10600k oc@5.2 - 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 DDR4 CL16 - EVGA RTX 3080 12gb FTW3 - MSI Z490 A-PRO Mobo
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

ORIGINAL: SirHoraceHarkness

I was able to intercept fleets in DWU with hyperdeny equipped cap ships. You had to be faster than their fleet then chase them and once in range the hyperdeny would turn on and both you and the ships caught would drop out of warp. Same with intercepting incoming fleets but you had to be positioned perfectly for them to run over your own ships area of effect. Obviously the bigger the blob of cap ships the better the chance of catching them. This should be doable in DW2.

Did you succeed between star systems in deep space?
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
SirHoraceHarkness

Post by SirHoraceHarkness »

Yes. That is where I would either position my fleet for intercept of an incoming fleet or be in the middle of chasing one down. Finicky but doable.
Intel i5 10600k oc@5.2 - 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 DDR4 CL16 - EVGA RTX 3080 12gb FTW3 - MSI Z490 A-PRO Mobo
arvcran2

Post by arvcran2 »

I was just thinking it would be nice in reality (sci-fi wise) that defending an empire could be very doable and that aggression would be very swiftly quashed by the universal community :).

But gaming wise, conquest is the fun part.
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz
16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)
64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M (4053MB VRAM, 8136MB Shared Memory)
Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 (integrated GPU)
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

ORIGINAL: SirHoraceHarkness

Yes. That is where I would either position my fleet for intercept of an incoming fleet or be in the middle of chasing one down. Finicky but doable.

Thanks, looks like I was unlucky then. Will retry in DW1.
swizzlewizzle

Post by swizzlewizzle »

Without enforced warp in/out points (like gates/chokepoints), holding an enemy at "border" worlds will always be impossible, since you can just increase your design fuel size to jump through deep space and around.

Instead, it seems that the approach that might work given the current mechanics shown would be the use of fast ships with hyperdeny, backed up by long range sensors catching incoming fleets. Hopefully long range sensors have enough range to cover the dead space between systems so that this is actually possible. :)

Return to “Distant Worlds 2”