Bacon Mod

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Larsenex

RE: Bacon Mod

Post by Larsenex »

Ok, got new exe, there is an extra H in your HHHtp address in the link.

Now my game is in windowed mode. Is there away to be fullscreen?
Go for the Eyes Boo!

Intel 8700K Oc'd to 4.8ghz
32 gigs ram
GTX 1070 w/ 6gigs ram.
Using a cache drive from intel with a 60gig flash & 1 terrabyt hd accelerated.
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: Larsenex

Thanks. I've removed the extra 'h' in http now. I don't know why your game is in windowed mode. Usually in Windows pressing alt-enter will switch between windowed and full screen mode. Maybe try that.
BTC 14UURmC4rD762RStsufKmaUjfXQrBvahU1
ETH 0x7c65139BC82A0BDC5b11F92001D5c5a112219f08
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

ORIGINAL: Larsenex

Have a look at startup.ini in the main Distant Worlds Folder.

'To play in Windowed mode set screenwidth and screenheight below
' width must be at least 1024, height must be at least 768. Width and height cannot be greater than current screen resolution
SCREENWIDTH 1920
SCREENHEIGHT 1080

If you see SCREENWIDTH and SCREENHEIGHT without the ' in front then it will be windowed

Change it so those two lines are like this and you should be fullscreen
'SCREENWIDTH 1920
'SCREENHEIGHT 1080
dostillevi

Post by dostillevi »

Unfortunate update from Microsoft. After a second submission, MS reaffirms that the 2004 patch meets their requirements for identification and will continue to be flagged as a virus.
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

Unfortunate update from Microsoft. After a second submission, MS reaffirms that the 2004 patch meets their requirements for identification and will continue to be flagged as a virus.

Bummer for you I guess.
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

ORIGINAL: dostillevi

I sent the file to Microsoft last year.... they checked the file .....determined it was not a virus..... and then updated their software so it would not be flagged as a virus. Not sure who told you it would still be flagged as a virus but that's not what they told me last year when they fixed the engine on their side.

please refer to Post #: 1148 in this thread where Microsoft showed me that the file, according to them, was not malware or a virus.
wamaye04

Post by wamaye04 »

Submitted .exe file for review. Waiting for analyst to give an update.
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

I submitted to BitDefender and they agreed it was a false positive and will remove it in the next AV update.
zumzoom

Post by zumzoom »

Getting out of memory error after 5 minutes of starting a new game (400stars, 6x6). Prior to this last try I tried repairing Net framework, and installed Direct X9 and XNA framework.
I'm on win10pro with 2004 update (used the alternate file).
Also tried running vanilla game - tested for 20 minutes on the same map - no crashes.
Any way to fix this error?

P.S. Ran the LAA enabler (laa_2_0_4_NetFramework_4_5 version)and the error doesn't seem to occur now, I don't know if it was the reason or I'm just lucky this time...[&:]
Attachments
11.jpg
11.jpg (123.46 KiB) Viewed 38 times
wamaye04

Post by wamaye04 »

Submission details
distantworld.exe
Submission ID: REDACTED
Submitted by: REDACTED
Submitted: Jan 22, 2021 4:59:16 AM
User Opinion: Incorrect detection

Analyst comments:

We have determined that the files meet our criteria for detection. At this time detection will remain in place.

More detailed information about the approach and criteria categories currently used by the Microsoft researchers are available here:
......link that I can't post since it's not been 7 days since my 10th post.

Thank you for contacting Microsoft.

rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

ORIGINAL: wamaye04

Submission details
distantworld.exe
Submission ID: REDACTED
Submitted by: REDACTED
Submitted: Jan 22, 2021 4:59:16 AM
User Opinion: Incorrect detection

Analyst comments:

We have determined that the files meet our criteria for detection. At this time detection will remain in place.

More detailed information about the approach and criteria categories currently used by the Microsoft researchers are available here:
......link that I can't post since it's not been 7 days since my 10th post.

Thank you for contacting Microsoft.

Did you tell them that the file works on Windows for people who did not upgrade to 2004?

Microsoft confirmed just 10 weeks ago that it was not a virus and it was not a trojan.

If Microsoft refuses to fix Defender I would recommend moving away from Defender and going to something more reliable.

So many games can no longer run on Windows 10 2004.... absolutely crazy on Microsofts part.

Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

There's no sense arguing about it. The mod is optional and they can choose to use it or not.
TorenAltair

Post by TorenAltair »

RogerBacon,
I seem to have a strange bug (playing latest release 1.81r of your mod). Quite long into the game I get ships from seemingly nowhere.. They just pop up, they aren't in a build queue. Military ships, Colonizers etc. I play with everything on manual settings. Never had this behaviour before, so I assume it is related to your mod. Additionally active mod is Unleashed, though it didn't ever happen on the older release of your mod I played (I think it was 1.71).
The behaviour might effect the computer players as well. At least the strongest opponent jumped from 3.x million military strength to 5.x million in 2 or 3 weeks.
Ranbir

RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended)

Post by Ranbir »

I can't get the latest .exe to fix the win10 update. Anyone got it?
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
SABRETOOTH2

Post by SABRETOOTH2 »

I finally managed to get this mod to run, only for it to crash to desktop with an OoM Error.

I have the Windows 2004 unfortunately......is there any way around the memory crash??
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

It could be that the modded .exe is doing something very iffy:
Stuff like direct access to the memory of another process, even by accident? (Naked points are a pain)
Maybe it is using some old permission/windows feature that we should have phased out a decade ago?
Maybe there is some signature or certificate missmatch?

This is a direct manipulation of another person .exe file, without access to the sourcecode. There is a thousand and one ways where you can mess up. And mess up in a way that it triggers AntiVirus software.
DW2 Poll:
"Should the Civil and non-Combat Ships loose all or most of their weapon slots?"
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=382690
zumzoom

Post by zumzoom »

I finally managed to get this mod to run, only for it to crash to desktop with an OoM Error.

I have the Windows 2004 unfortunately......is there any way around the memory crash??
It worked for me after I ran the LAA enabler on the game executable. Just search LAA enabler and open the one on techpowerup website, choose laa_2_0_4_NetFramework_4_5 version.
Also might be a good idea to close all applications that you don't need while playing (your browser and other memory or cpu heavy stuff.
Ranbir

Post by Ranbir »

May I ask what is specific about needing a different .exe for the bacon mod? If it is just about expanding memory then I can do that on the default .exe can't I?
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

ORIGINAL: Ranbir

May I ask what is specific about needing a different .exe for the bacon mod? If it is just about expanding memory then I can do that on the default .exe can't I?
LAA stands for "Large Adress Awareness".
Basically it allows 32-bit code running on a 64-bit OS and Hardware, to move some of the overhead out the space only adressable by 32-bit code. Meaning code that has to run as 32-bit, actually has closer to the full 4 GiB adressable space avalible.

He should have tagged his .exe that way by default, but apparently he forgot? It is easy to forget it when doing that kind of file modification.
DW2 Poll:
"Should the Civil and non-Combat Ships loose all or most of their weapon slots?"
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=382690
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: Ranbir

All of the Bacon features use custom code (well over 10,000 lines as of last check a year ago) for the new/changed features. If I add an update I'll be sure to run it through LAA next time. However, with Distant Worlds 2 announced, I suspect interest in DWU will wane.

Interesting to note how many of the Bacon Mod features seem to have made it into DW2 in some way. Maybe I'll start a thread and count them at some future date.

Return to “Design and Modding”