Bacon Mod

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

dostillevi

RE: Bacon Mod

Post by dostillevi »

I'm also seeing a virus warning from Windows Defender regarding Bacon1.81r.zip. The detected threat is Trojan:Win32/Ymacco.AA85. Given the popularity of Windows Defender, it might be worth an update to address the detection issue, false positive or otherwise.

Unfortunately I couldn't find any useful information on this threat, so I'm not willing to install the file unfortunately. Hopefully this can be resolved in a future update!

Edit: also seeing the same alert on the file you uploaded to TinyURL Roger.
Noyyau

Post by Noyyau »

Hello Roger Bacon,
first of all my most sincere thanks for the astoundingly wonderful mod you've created!
I've been playing DW for years now (tried some mods, settled on Icemania's AI improvement mod with personal tweaks), began using your mod only recently... truly a distant world from the vanilla game!
So without further ado, onto the questions that made me actually register on the forum (been lurking all these years).

1) Mining missions
It is great to be able to order mining missions even to private miners (currently without a mission, but that's easy to force with !clear ).
However I can't seem to be able to make even state-run mining ships do the repeating missions (which work fine on state freighters and passenger ships though), nor to send them to unload where I want them to.
Alt-M works fine to order a single mission, however the other commands mentioned in the readme don't work for me:
Assign Mining Mission: Select a planet you wish to mine and press Alt-M. The closest mining ship without a mission will move there to mine it. It will deliver the cargo to the closes spaceport. If you press Alt-Shift-A and you have a specific destination set (with Alt-2) then it will deliver to that destination instead. As always you can order a ship to not unload with the !nodump command. After giving this order the ordered ship will be selected.
No matter the destination I set with Alt-2 (planet, base, spaceport...) Alt-Shift-A doesn't generate any mission, period. Tried Alt-Shift-M but that just makes the standard single-mission that goes to the closest spaceport.

Similarly, tried Shift-Alt-M (with a state miner, not private) to make the mission repeating, but no joy, just the single mission starts (checked with Ctrl-Enter, it doesn't say "repeating" and the ship isn't listed in the Repeating Mission section of F11 ship list).
Of course with the state miners I can manually queue a bunch of mining missions on non-colonized planets (most useful with a purpose designed only-luxury miner for the superluxuries), that does get tiresome quickly though.

2) What keys should I try for the
Alt ; - Cycle backward through current selection's ship type
Alt ' - Cycle forward through current selection's ship type
commands?
I've got an european keyboard and those I'm guessing are mapped to an american one, tried a bunch of Alt-symbols but nothing worked.

3) Is it possible to use the "force unload" Alt-U command to work with the "select destination" Alt-2 command directly? Currently I get it working by first assigning a bogus cargo mission to the freighter I want diverted to where I want, and then ordering it to unload only Alt-U.

4) Is it possible to set the rangecircles to be off by default at game start/load? They are occasionally useful but most of the time I don't need them on, currently I have to !rangecircles everytime the game loads.

5) The "guess strategy" minigame for ground invasions doesn't seem to work if I'm invading a pirate-controlled planet: the Alt-Ctrl-right-click menu option appears, but when I click nothing happens.
I have tested it during an invasion of a standard empire planet and that worked.

Thanks in advance
Noyyau
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: dostillevi

I'm also seeing a virus warning from Windows Defender regarding Bacon1.81r.zip. The detected threat is Trojan:Win32/Ymacco.AA85. Given the popularity of Windows Defender, it might be worth an update to address the detection issue, false positive or otherwise.

Unfortunately I couldn't find any useful information on this threat, so I'm not willing to install the file unfortunately. Hopefully this can be resolved in a future update!

Edit: also seeing the same alert on the file you uploaded to TinyURL Roger.

I understand. Thank you for reporting this. Even the latest update of my own Bit Defender flagged it yesterday. It didn't the day before so it most the the latest Anti-Virus update that contains a signature close enough to the exe to trigger it. I've talked to Bid Defender and I'll try to talk to Microsoft, although their customer support leaves a lot to be desired.

In the meantime, you can check an older version ofthe mod and see if that flags a false positive as well, assuming you don't have the 2005 update in which case you can only use the latest version of the mod.
BTC 14UURmC4rD762RStsufKmaUjfXQrBvahU1
ETH 0x7c65139BC82A0BDC5b11F92001D5c5a112219f08
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: Noyyau

Hello Roger Bacon,
first of all my most sincere thanks for the astoundingly wonderful mod you've created!

Thanks.

1) Mining missions

Alt-M works fine to order a single mission, however the other commands mentioned in the readme don't work for me:
No matter the destination I set with Alt-2 (planet, base, spaceport...) Alt-Shift-A doesn't generate any mission, period. Tried Alt-Shift-M but that just makes the standard single-mission that goes to the closest spaceport.
You were wise to try alt-shift-M. That is indeed the correct key combination. It seems it was a typo that I put alt-shift-A. Still, you said that doesn't work. I'll try it later this week when I have some time. To be clear you need to have a base as your alt-2 target and have to hold down the alt before the shift.

2) What keys should I try for the
Alt ; - Cycle backward through current selection's ship type
Alt ' - Cycle forward through current selection's ship type
commands?
I've got an European keyboard and those I'm guessing are mapped to an American one, tried a bunch of Alt-symbols but nothing worked.

I have no idea but while we are here be sure you replace your decimal points with commas in the BaconSettings.txt file or you will get some funky results if you are in a country that uses commas as decimal points.

3) Is it possible to use the "force unload" Alt-U command to work with the "select destination" Alt-2 command directly? Currently I get it working by first assigning a bogus cargo mission to the freighter I want diverted to where I want, and then ordering it to unload only Alt-U.

I usually give the freighter a refuel command at the place I want it to unload and then use Alt-U to make it unload when it gets there.

4) Is it possible to set the rangecircles to be off by default at game start/load? They are occasionally useful but most of the time I don't need them on, currently I have to !rangecircles everytime the game loads.

Currently, no. If there is another version of the mod I'll make it a setting in the BaconSettings.

5) The "guess strategy" minigame for ground invasions doesn't seem to work if I'm invading a pirate-controlled planet: the Alt-Ctrl-right-click menu option appears, but when I click nothing happens.
I have tested it during an invasion of a standard empire planet and that worked.

Thanks in advance
Noyyau

I don't think I've ever invaded a pirate world. I'll have to look into that. At least your post gives confirmation that someone actually uses the invasion mini-game. How do you like it? Too easy? Too hard? Too boring?
Noyyau

Post by Noyyau »

1) Mining missions
You were wise to try alt-shift-M. That is indeed the correct key combination. It seems it was a typo that I put alt-shift-A. Still, you said that doesn't work. I'll try it later this week when I have some time. To be clear you need to have a base as your alt-2 target and have to hold down the alt before the shift.
Found out why I couldn't make it work: I had a planet as the Alt-2 destination (the idea was to mine local resources for a newly colonized planet to build its spaceport).
Selecting a base as the Alt-2 destination works fine with Alt-Shift-M. Actually, Shift-Alt-M works as well.
While testing this, I also discovered another fact about mining missions: while it was already known that you couldn't normally mine one of your own colonized planets, nor build mining stations there, I thought that I had managed to do it anyway by using the Alt-M force order (what also gives the illusion of working is queueing a bunch of mining missions before the planet is colonized).
What actually happens, however, is that the miner reaches the planet, attempts to mine, immediately stops and goes to its unloading destination, without having actually mined anything.
Pity, now my miners have to trek across half the galaxy for some chromium and carbon fibre. Why is it that these so necessary and rare resources are always on the few good planets worthy of being settled? (Thus reducing their mining output).
Finally, I guess it simply isn't coded to have a repeating mining mission?

2)Keys
I have no idea but while we are here be sure you replace your decimal points with commas in the BaconSettings.txt file or you will get some funky results if you are in a country that uses commas as decimal points.

Got the decimal points sorted out at installation, you did put a very useful note at the top of BaconSettings.txt, thanks.

3) Alt-U destination
I usually give the freighter a refuel command at the place I want it to unload and then use Alt-U to make it unload when it gets there.
That's even easier, good idea.

5) The "guess strategy" minigame for ground invasions
I don't think I've ever invaded a pirate world. I'll have to look into that. At least your post gives confirmation that someone actually uses the invasion mini-game. How do you like it? Too easy? Too hard? Too boring?

Tested some more and I couldn't reproduce my own problem, so I guess that was a momentary interface problem or something.
Minigame opens up during any ground combat it seems, invade standard empires, invade pirate-owned planet, even during clearing of pirate facilities on a planet I own.
Took me a number of attempts to understand how it works. The bar at the top is how many attempts are available (filling up as I use them, though green is kinda unintuitive for that), gold star is correct guess in correct place, silver star is correct guess in wrong place.
My main problem now is purely graphical: the background image makes it somewhat difficult to comfortably read the text past the first few attempts, dark text on dark image.
As far as difficulty goes, now that I understand the concept it isn't too difficult, though I'll try it some more and see how it averages out.
dostillevi

Post by dostillevi »

Thanks, and good luck. I found this site to submit software to Microsoft for review:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/filesubmission

I'm submitting the file as a home user, but it might get more traction if you submit as the developer.

Hopefully there are similar options for other antivirus software.

There might also be useful information for you here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... sion-guide
dostillevi

Post by dostillevi »

Microsoft reviewed the file with the response below. Frankyl I can't tell exactly what this means, but it might be good?

Analyst comments:

We have reviewed the files and we have added detection for them to the next definition update. The latest definitions information is available here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/definitions.

Thank you for contacting Microsoft.
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

I've been playing "virus" bacon for a looooong time. It's good to see you'll join us now that it's "safe". :)
dostillevi

Post by dostillevi »

Congrats?

For everyone else, it's a pretty good idea not to ignore an antivirus warning *because someone tells you it's not a virus*. For what it's worth, the file can both be a trojan *and* also do what Roger says it does.

*No offense Roger,certainly not thinking you specifically would intentionally infect mod users with a trojan. It's just the kind of logic that gets people viruses.. or STDs.. or COVID for that matter.
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

I was, of course, joking around. I don't personally care if you use it or not.

Whether or not you believe it to be safe or not only affects you. Me, and everyone else, will keep playing it while you wait.
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

ORIGINAL: dostillevi

Congrats?

For everyone else, it's a pretty good idea not to ignore an antivirus warning *because someone tells you it's not a virus*. For what it's worth, the file can both be a trojan *and* also do what Roger says it does.

*No offense Roger,certainly not thinking you specifically would intentionally infect mod users with a trojan. It's just the kind of logic that gets people viruses.. or STDs.. or COVID for that matter.

Just so you know..... after speaking to Roger last year I sent the mod file to Microsoft who confirmed that the Bacon Mod was not a virus, trojan, or anything harmful.
arvcran2

Post by arvcran2 »

I gave the bacon mod a try about a year ago and liked the added interface features!

Not sure I am a fan of the gravity well for play/fun but it is an interesting 'feature'.

I did not continue using the bacon mod because the accompanying mod really nerfed the Pirates opening tech advantage (not the Bacon Mods fault - I think).

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz
16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)
64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M (4053MB VRAM, 8136MB Shared Memory)
Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 (integrated GPU)
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

I play bacon with the grav well turned off in the baconsettings.txt

There are too many wonderful things roger has enabled in the bacon.exe you should definitely try it again. Extremely recommended 5/5 star.
arvcran2

Post by arvcran2 »

Ship mission completion would help with my quest to track private ships, I would need a 'mission initiated' pop-up as well though. for settings reminder!
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz
16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)
64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M (4053MB VRAM, 8136MB Shared Memory)
Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 (integrated GPU)
Larsenex

Post by Larsenex »

Greetings. I just did a clean install of DW universe and updated it. I installed Bacon mod (to correct folder) but the exe does not 'initiate'
I get the pop up 'Bacon Mod' and it fails from there.

Suggestions?
Go for the Eyes Boo!

Intel 8700K Oc'd to 4.8ghz
32 gigs ram
GTX 1070 w/ 6gigs ram.
Using a cache drive from intel with a 60gig flash & 1 terrabyt hd accelerated.
jadelith

Post by jadelith »

I have the same issue - get the first pop-up, then it just stays as a background program (don't get the splash screen), even when I open as admin / use compatibility mode.
jadelith

Post by jadelith »

I think there's another exe file for windows 10 users, but my windows absolutely will not let me use that file lol. I've been trying, but it deletes the file before I can do anything about it.
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

For people with the version 2004 update to Windows 10 (an increasingly larger share as Microsoft is pushing it once again) you need the update that's just a little further down on the first page. I believe it is 1.81r.

Microsoft's most recent AV update for Windows Defender flags the file as a virus so it's probably deleting it as soon as you run it. Microsoft has been contacted and will update the next version of Windows Defender to ignore it but for now you will have to whitelist the file yourself. I don't use Windows Defender but you can check online for how to do that.
jadelith

Post by jadelith »

ah ok. I'll prolly wait till it's updated then.

Had the DW:U itch this weekend, and I refuse to play it without your mod (as it's awesome), so thanks for all your work :)
Larsenex

Post by Larsenex »

Roger,

The link to the updated exe is not working. I copy and paste it and it goes nowhere. I did download the latest version > 1.81r. I installed that exe but the game stalls and does not load.
Go for the Eyes Boo!

Intel 8700K Oc'd to 4.8ghz
32 gigs ram
GTX 1070 w/ 6gigs ram.
Using a cache drive from intel with a 60gig flash & 1 terrabyt hd accelerated.

Return to “Design and Modding”