posture bonuses - what counts as "mechanized", "infantry", etc

A military-oriented and sci-fi wargame, set on procedural planets with customizable factions and endless choices.

Moderator: Vic

aguvenli

posture bonuses - what counts as "mechanized", "infantry", etc

Post by aguvenli »

Postures apply to a specific type of troop - some to mechanized, others to infantry. But it is not clear what type a given unit is.

Take the Mechanized Armored Grenadier OOB, for example. It has an equal mix of Infantry, RPG, MG and Artillery all mounted on APCs, and tanks. Is this unit considered mechanized or infantry for posture bonuses? Maybe a mix of both?

Or take the basic motorized infantry. Does this OOB benefit from postures that affect infantry?

aguvenli

RE: posture bonuses - what counts as "mechanized", "infantry", etc

Post by aguvenli »

Ok, I think I've got it figured out. It is in the game, but hard to find. Looks like I can't post a screenshot in the forum, though.

In the combat unit selection modal, on the top right quarter, you see a "UNITGROUP" list, any of "guns," "infantry," or "tanks". Well, given the composition of the unit (a "Mechanized Armored Grenadier" brigade that has a bit of everything except self-propelled arty) in the screenshot that I can't post, there is proof in the posture bonus tooltip that in the context of postures, APCs and Tanks (tracked) units are considered "mechanized", and it is likely that anything on foot is "infantry".

Not the entire story, but a good start, I hope.

DTurtle

Post by DTurtle »

AFAICT, for postures:
Walkers, tanks, buggies, and APCs count as mechanized. Unsure about mechanized artillery, rockets, or missiles.

Infantry - even mechanized - does not count as mechanized. They count as infantry.

The bonuses for attack/defense are applied per subunit. When you start an attack, you can hover over the information for posture bonuses and see what is applied to what models.
aguvenli

Post by aguvenli »

ORIGINAL: DTurtle
The bonuses for attack/defense are applied per subunit.

This is the crucial point. Bonuses are applied not on the OOB level, but on the individual subunit level.
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

While it is not clearly dispalyed, I think each unit/design has a "Combat Type" and a "Movement Type".
Motorized versions Infantry and Guns mean the Movement type changes, but not the combat type.
The truck itself is a backline unit that does not fight, so it is rarely attacked.

Mechanized propably refers to APC subunits only.
DW2 Poll:
"Should the Civil and non-Combat Ships loose all or most of their weapon slots?"
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=382690
aguvenli

Post by aguvenli »

ORIGINAL: zgrssd
Mechanized propably refers to APC subunits only.

This is not correct. Tanks also count as mechanized. See the attached screenshot.

Attachments
SE_posture.jpg
SE_posture.jpg (190.53 KiB) Viewed 65 times

Return to “Shadow Empire”