SHQ questions

A military-oriented and sci-fi wargame, set on procedural planets with customizable factions and endless choices.

Moderator: Vic

Maerchen

SHQ questions

Post by Maerchen »

Hi, two questions came up in my mind:

1. When conquering a city with an SHQ in it, do you plunder the inventory of it?

2. Is there anywhere a tutorial/how to on raising a 2nd SHQ?

Thanks in advance!
The logistics hell this game is IS the fun part! - Maerchen, 2020

The good thing is, we have all the information in the reports. The bad thing is, we have all the information. Maerchen, 2020

Came for SE. Will stay for SE.
redrum68

RE: SHQ questions

Post by redrum68 »

2. Not sure if there is a good tutorial but creating a new SHQ is done from Raise Formation > New SHQ tab.
Maerchen

Post by Maerchen »

I know the mechanism. I want to know when, where and why, and how to make it sustain.

The good thing is, we have all the information in the reports. The bad thing is, we have all the information. Maerchen, 2020

redrum68

Post by redrum68 »

In that case, I have the same question so hopefully someone with more experience will answer :)
DTurtle

Post by DTurtle »

Hopefully you never have to raise a second SHQ.

When should you do so? When you have a cut off area that can't be connected to the old SHQ. When you're logistical network is so spread out from the SHQ that you can no longer move all the stuff from all zones to the SHQ and back.

What do you need to do?
1. Raise the SHQ.
2. Assign zones to the SHQ.
3. Assign units to the SHQ.
4. Use "Transfer" to move stuff between the two SHQs.

Remember, every zone assigned to the SHQ needs to be able to move its stuff to the SHQ. Then, the SHQ has to be able to send its stuff back out to the zones and units assigned to that SHQ.
redrum68

Post by redrum68 »

Is there a general rule of thumb on when the logistical network would become too spread out?
MavenCole

Post by MavenCole »

It might come down to the ability of your logistics network to keep up.
For example I'm considering trying a second SHQ in my current game because even with maxed out logistics assets at my current SHQ I am still bottle necked around the SHQ. Everywhere else is ok

Maerchen

Post by Maerchen »

Trying to get this:

1. You need a connection between both SHQ?

2. In the instance of not having a connection: Will the 2nd SHQ zones just wither and die or will I somehow be able to transfer items from 1st to 2nd?

DTurtle

Post by DTurtle »

ORIGINAL: redrum68

Is there a general rule of thumb on when the logistical network would become too spread out?
No. It just depends on too many things.

However, the biggest draw on logistical capacity is having large zones producing large amounts of metal/rare metal/food that has to be transported to the SHQ. The second biggest draw is having zones outside the SHQ pulling in large amounts of metal (for producing industry for example) because they don't produce enough metal themselves. The third biggest draw - which only really comes into play later - is having a large army using large amounts of ammunition , food and replacements every turn.

If you find that you simply can't build enough assets to keep everything moving, then you can start looking at what zones are using up most of your capacity.
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

ORIGINAL: redrum68

Your logistics network can never become "too spread out". When in doubt, you can just strategic move the SHQ.
At best it becomes "too seperated", to function anymore.
Caveat: There seems to be some limit on how far of a SHQ you can build roads and tracks, but this limit is a bug and should be fixed in the next beta version.

Having a closer SHQ will reduce the distacne some goods have to move, but at the cost of having two seperate SHQ's wich do not have the sum total of your empires resources.

ORIGINAL: MavenCole

It might come down to the ability of your logistics network to keep up.
For example I'm considering trying a second SHQ in my current game because even with maxed out logistics assets at my current SHQ I am still bottle necked around the SHQ. Everywhere else is ok

What do you mean with "maxed out"? Maximum Trains and Trucks? And do you have highspeed rail/sleaed roads the entire distance?

ORIGINAL: Maerchen

Trying to get this:

1. You need a connection between both SHQ?

2. In the instance of not having a connection: Will the 2nd SHQ zones just wither and die or will I somehow be able to transfer items from 1st to 2nd?
1. Unless both are entirely self-sufficient in all resource production, you will need a connection for the goods one SHQ can not make "locally".

2. Credits and PP are shared, so you can always use the Traders or Stratagems to offset any minor issues in one SHQ.
DW2 Poll:
"Should the Civil and non-Combat Ships loose all or most of their weapon slots?"
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=382690
Maerchen

Post by Maerchen »

Very helpful, thank you!

Return to “Shadow Empire”