Numbers on counters during the AI turn resolution

A military-oriented and sci-fi wargame, set on procedural planets with customizable factions and endless choices.

Moderator: Vic

compactset

Numbers on counters during the AI turn resolution

Post by compactset »

We can see some numbers on the counters of units which are displayed on the map during the AI turn resolution, my problem is that I really cannot make sense of what they represent. At first I thought that they just indicated the number of troops on the hex but the numbers vary wildly, and seem totally unrelated to such factor. I reasoned that maybe this discrepancy was because of my lack of recon on the hexes, but this happens also for my own units.

I tried looking on the manual for such issue, but to no avail. There is a dedicated section clearly illustrating how to read the counters you have displayed during your turn on your units, but this is not what I am looking for.
DTurtle

RE: Numbers on counters during the AI turn resolution

Post by DTurtle »

They are the number of units modified by readiness and stuff like that to make an estimated "effective" number.
Uemon

Post by Uemon »

Every point represents 1 subunit, which is 100 menpower (10 for vehicles) and i believe its modified by terrain and other factors?

However, keep two things in mind:

-When it comes to enemies, this number can be deceptive, because displayed number will depend on your recon power. If you dont know whats there, it wont be displayed.
-Utility of this number varies; an independent tank battalion with 50 tanks of sufficient quality, showing as anything between 4 and 7 will easily smash through infantry showing as 50, for example.
compactset

Post by compactset »

Yeah, the point is really that these numbers are not useful at all. As you pointed out it could happen that a counter with a number significantly less than another could easily defeat the latter. I think that presenting just the number of troops and the type of division (infantry, tanks, motorized, etc.) could be maybe be more useful that this modified factor.

If I am not mistaken Shadow Empire was done by a developer of Advanced Tactics and some of Decisive Campaign games, thus I suppose this mechanic is taken from one of these games. I do not have any experience with them, but if someone could point out the exact game maybe I could dig out more information from its manual.
Uemon

Post by Uemon »

It still has *some* utility, you just cant make decisions based on quick glance. You need think about it and maintain some awareness of what enemy has there (is it just infantry or do they have armor as well?). This is maybe not that bad because it forces players to learn (and learn fast) which units are good for attacking what.

Return to “Shadow Empire”