Make solar power worse on some hexes/planets and better on others

Moderator: Vic

Elver

Make solar power worse on some hexes/planets and better on others

Post by Elver »

Right now, every power source but special-asset LE/turbine/etc reactors* is worse than solar in most circumstances. Solar is too reliable and works equally well everywhere. At a bare minimum, it would make sense to use rainfall figures to limit solar output. This wouldn't account for planets with non-watery clouds, but it would at least make solar slightly less of a free resource you can (easily, cheaply) build everywhere regardless of local conditions.

*These are better only insofar as they're free and don't even require personnel to operate.
Pratapon51

RE: Make solar power worse on some hexes/planets and better on others

Post by Pratapon51 »

Planetary characteristics should definitely play a role. Distance from the local star, fluctuation per season, + possible events resulting in their damage. Solar power is far too good, currently.
HamsterGodoy

Post by HamsterGodoy »

i wouldn't be surprised if adding this feature where the production value is based on the tile stats would probably require the devs to have to write a lot of new code and make changes to the engine, maybe make it so that there's like 3 different solar power buildings, and have them work kinda like the domed farms open farms etc.
Pratapon51

Post by Pratapon51 »

It might be, but tile temperatures and rain already seem to vary per season, so it can be integrated with the existing systems. At any rate, Solar Power is currently too strong an energy option, basically no reason to build Nuclear Plants or Power Plants.
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

I think solar farms are fine, but could use a serious debuff. It is not so much their realiability, but their output that worries me. I never even consider Fuel or Nuclear plants if I can just build Solar Panels.

The other plants are simply way to bad compared to the Solar Plant, in building resources and upkeep. If Vic cuts the output by 10, I think they would be perfectly fine. Ideally he could also make them a starting technology.
ORIGINAL: HamsterGodoy

i wouldn't be surprised if adding this feature where the production value is based on the tile stats would probably require the devs to have to write a lot of new code and make changes to the engine, maybe make it so that there's like 3 different solar power buildings, and have them work kinda like the domed farms open farms etc.
I would say it would require a new planet generation step, but beyond that the core math is simple.
We need maybe 1 value per tile per planet season, but that is not a lot of data in the grand sheme of things. Indeed it is barely as bad as weather.
Minor Daily variations have to be caught by storage plants build into the whole network anyway, given that 1 turn is 2 earth months IIRC.

But the idea of making it work like open-air farms (where there is choice land for solar generation) also has a certain charm.
DW2 Poll:
"Should the Civil and non-Combat Ships loose all or most of their weapon slots?"
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=382690

Return to “Suggestions and Feedback”