New player

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

wobbleguts

New player

Post by wobbleguts »

OK, I finished all the picture/text and video tutorials. Think I've already got my money back in terms of time spent on just learning this game, but it wasn't enjoyable.

About to start my first game and will play Barbarossa as suggested. When I start this game, does anyone have suggestions about which optional rules I should select? Oil rules for example seem to be mandatory for some but ignored by others.

Is there anything approaching a walk through for the Barbarossa campaign? Someone suggested playing Barbarossa first and mentioned over-running some russian units. It was so long ago I forget the details and I can't find the post. Does anyone have any advise on how to play the 1st campaign Barbarossa game? Any help would be appreciated.
juntoalmar

RE: New player

Post by juntoalmar »

My suggestion is to play a Fast Start Barbarossa scenario with the basic rules. Don’t worry that much about the strategy for now, and just about understanding the mechanics of the game. Focus on only one thing at a time for a few impulses, and read the instructions about it if needed. So you will have a few things to learn each time, very doable.

When you have a grasp on it, learn one more thing. Like:

- Learn how to move land units, the impulse/turn system, weather, and supply.

When you feel comfortable with it:

- Learn land combat

Then:

- Learn air support & air combat

Then:

- Learn production

If you try to learn everything at once, it can be overwhelming.
(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

If you do do fast start Barbarossa, be aware that the Russian set is horrible.

I think the point of the setup is so that a player can learn how to ground strike a stack, completely disorganize it, then put it out of supply and overrun it. This will also teach you how to do overruns of non-adjacent stack, which involves left-clicking.
I thought I knew how to play this game....
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

Welcome aboard!

I would not worry about using the Oil rule in either intro scenario, as they are so short. Oil use has long-term strategic implications.

I would suggest just using the optional rules for Offensive Chits, Artillery, Fortifications, Siberians, and Off-City Reinforcements. The last three are extremely simple ones. I would even start without adding Divisions to keep counter density real low and help illustrate combat loss potential.

Overruns require 7:1 odds and an ARM or MECH unit in the stack doing the overrun, can only be done in clear terrain, and costs the overrunning units an extra movement point.

Units that are out of supply defend at reduced strength of 1 if “disorganized” or 3 if “disorganized” and “elite.” “Elite” units have white combat factors shown. Units become “disorganized” a variety of ways - after a successful enemy Ground Strike mission, after a retreat result in combat, after moving when they started out of supply, or if they enter a hex which requires more movement points than they have left, which is legal but disorganization is the penalty.

In the Barbarossa scenario there are only a few weak Russian units that can be straight overrun when they are in-supply and not disorganized, and that requires a German stack of their 2 best Panzer units. However as the scenario moves along other overrun potential situations may occur.

Also note that playing an Offensive Chit can allow a temporary doubling of the combat factors of a limited number of units in ‘range’ of a designated HQ unit. These doublings can be used during the movement phase to conduct an overrun.

Note that defending unit combat factors are calculated at the moment of dice rolling each individual combat - not at the moment all attacks are declared simultaneously, though that would be after land movement which is usually when overrun occurs.
wobbleguts

Post by wobbleguts »

Thanks for the feedback.

I think I will do a fast start with basic rules as suggested, skip any optional rules and see how it goes. Then replay with the additional rules suggested above. Thanks for the overrun info!
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

The point of my comment is that there is one Russian stack in the quick start setup on the front line that can be ground struck, and if both units are flipped (flipped means disorganized, because in the board game you indicated disorganization by flipping units over) you can then move to put them out of supply and disorganize them.

No competent Russian player would freely let you do this, but this gives you the opportunity to see the situation and try and exploit it. If the ground strikes don't work, well, at least once force the die rolls so that they do work, just to learn how to do the overrun. The GUI mechanics are not intuitive here; one has to learn them.
wobbleguts

Post by wobbleguts »

Hello again.

Will start my first game this weekend hopefully. My last 3 questions are...

Someone said you could switch off the end-date for a scenario. I would really like to do this as i hate forced endings - even if I'm losing. How do you switch the games automatic end date off?

Secondly, the game is historically based and units are assigned when they became available in real life. If (say) I were to play the 1939 global war scenario and went beyond 1945, could I still build new units?

Looking forward to playing and reading the hard back manuals for help. However, there is a MWIF School sub-forum that I hadn't seen before. In there someone said to concentrate on manual 3 - RAC. Is that the way to go?

I promise these are my last questions for now.
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

I don't think that it's possible for Barbarossa or Guadalcanal to continue playing. But you can always try by turning on the "extend game length" optional rule. The two small scenarios are really there for new players to get to know which button to press and how to do things.

There are a few planes available as new units in 1946 en 1947. But that's it. The designers of the board game really made the game to end in J/A 1945. But when playing with all the chrome, it's almost impossible to exhaust the force pools. You can't build everything.

The RAC manual is about the rules. The other two volumes are more on how the interface works. My suggestion would be to start playing and look in the manuals when you get stuck.

Last questions? I don't believe you [:-] [:D]

Have fun.

Peter
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

Ask more questions, it’s all good.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Below WiF School and just above the general discussion area - on the right side - there's a setting for how far back you will see posts. If you set it to "all topics" instead of "365 days" you'll get access to 7 years worth of WiF School.
Paul
wobbleguts

Post by wobbleguts »

I did say 'for now'.
wobbleguts

Post by wobbleguts »

ORIGINAL: Courtenay

I think the point of the setup is so that a player can learn how to ground strike a stack, completely disorganize it, then put it out of supply and overrun it. This will also teach you how to do overruns of non-adjacent stack, which involves left-clicking.

Hi,

Wasn't expecting to ask another question so soon, but....

I started my first MWIF game and wanted to do the fast start option as suggested. Problem is I can't find it! It's not under optional rules prior to the game starting and when the game does start, I just get the standard setup window for allocating units. I searched all the menu options etc but there is no 'fast start' option. I've restarted 3 times to check I didn't miss anything but cannot find it. Can anyone help?

Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

ORIGINAL: wobbleguts

ORIGINAL: Courtenay

Hi,

Wasn't expecting to ask another question so soon, but....

I started my first MWIF game and wanted to do the fast start option as suggested. Problem is I can't find it! It's not under optional rules prior to the game starting and when the game does start, I just get the standard setup window for allocating units. I searched all the menu options etc but there is no 'fast start' option. I've restarted 3 times to check I didn't miss anything but cannot find it. Can anyone help?

The Fast Start Barbarossa setup is a saved game. Do not hit "Start New Game". Hit "Restore a Saved Game", and pick the Barbarossa scenario. Since this is your first time playing, there should be only one game saved, "Fast Start Barbarossa".
wobbleguts

Post by wobbleguts »

Thankyou!
sIg3b

Post by sIg3b »

Good to know; I wouldn´t have known that this option existed. Thank you!
davidachamberlain

Post by davidachamberlain »

It is not a great starting set up, but it embeds enough mistakes that you can learn from those quickly enough so that when you play a real game, you can plan for a better start on both sides.
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Some of the other scenarios also have a fast start setup in their saved game folders. I have never looked at any of them, so have no idea how good they are.

Return to “World in Flames”