Can This Game Be Played in An Actual Window

A military-oriented and sci-fi wargame, set on procedural planets with customizable factions and endless choices.

Moderator: Vic

Malor

Can This Game Be Played in An Actual Window

Post by Malor »

I want to be able to play this Windows game in an actual window. I have multiple monitors and it is a PITA to have to constantly minimize/maximize the game to move between windows. Is this possible and if so, how?

Thanks.
Malor
Jorgas

RE: Can This Game Be Played in An Actual Window

Post by Jorgas »

Hi Malor, if you go too the Shadow Empires folder and look for a "windows.txt"text file, inside it, you can change window_mode=off to window_mode=on

You can also set a custom resolution inside it, i run it slightly smaller then my gaming screen.

I suffer from the same problem that you have, multiple monitors [:D]
Malor

Post by Malor »

Jorgas, Thanks for the reply.

That option changes the game to play in a window, but the nornmal window functionality does not work. The mouse will not exit off any game window edge and the window cannot be resized using the <> mouse icon on the window edges. It is also still necessary to click the minimize button to move the mouse to another monitor or application on same monitor. Are there other settings that need to be changed?

Malor
Jorgas

Post by Jorgas »

You will not be able to resize the window with using your mouse, you can only change the window size in the text file (just add in the values you want yourself)

If you press "PREFS" (Preferences I assume) and go to "Gfx & Resolution" There is a "mouse lock" option, untick it, and you'll be able to move the mouse outside of the program without having to minimize. Hope this helps you :)

(I almost refunded the game on release, due too these 2 things myself I'm a 4 screen user and yes, I do need them all! [:D] )
Malor

Post by Malor »

Excellent. That is what I was looking for.

I still wish resize was available. This is 2020 and games for Windows should actually be able to run in windows by default and have all of the standard functionality that provides. I have skipped purchasing a few games in the past because they were not Windows friendly.

Many thanks.
Malor
Jorgas

Post by Jorgas »

I 100% agree with you Malor, I don't even know a gamer in my circle with 1 screen anymore, 2 minimum and windowed mode in all games we play together and then we derp around on YT or other sites while we're waiting for someone to finish a turn or such, like when we're playing dominions 5, or other games that can be very time consuming.

I hope you can enjoy the game to the fullest now!
Dehimos

Post by Dehimos »

Thanks for the help, Jorgas. There was no option on the menu and I thought it was not possible.
perde

Post by perde »

What is all this talk about multiple monitors and minimizing the game? I have multiple monitors and I don't have to minimize or maximize the game to move between windows. Seems to be running borderless windowed by default.
BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar »

Yeah, but if, while fullscreen you move the game to another screen, the mouse clicks won't register anymore.
And part of the game is going to be cut off if the second screen has lower resolution.
They do register once again when you move the game back, but now it's the taskbar that is going to chop off part of the game screen.

What *did* work was using Borderless Gaming, except for the "chopping parts of the screen off part" (except for the Windows toolbar not chopping off the game screen any more), so in the end I just keep the game on the main screen. (But this is because I have one screen that is 1920x1200, while the other is 1680x1050, if all of your screens' resolutions are the same, you probably won't have this issue.

Return to “Shadow Empire”