Any setting for an easier start ?

A military-oriented and sci-fi wargame, set on procedural planets with customizable factions and endless choices.

Moderator: Vic

nukkxx5058

Any setting for an easier start ?

Post by nukkxx5058 »

Hi, I started several games so far but can't survive very long ... either my enemies are too powerful or I losing my mind in logistical chaos [:D].

I have the impression that the game is very sensitive to
initial conditions.

Hence my question: Which world creation parameters should I pick for an easier start (but where things will become harder and challenging later on)

Any setup recommendations ?
Or any gameplay recommendations to prosper rapidly in early game ?
Winner of the first edition of the Command: Modern Operations COMPLEX PBEM Tournament (April 2022) :-)
mroyer

RE: Any setting for an easier start ?

Post by mroyer »

Siwa small world is what I started with. Siva is most earth like requiring fewer techs for survival. Reroll until you get a world with breathable atmosphere and few hostile creatures.
Clux

Post by Clux »

You also have an option where there is only going to be 1 major besides you, thats great to learn the basics on a Siwa Class planet (make sure than you don't get wild life)
Amateurs talk about strategy. Professionals talk about logistics!
eddieballgame

Post by eddieballgame »

ORIGINAL: Clux

You also have an option where there is only going to be 1 major besides you, thats great to learn the basics on a Siwa Class planet (make sure than you don't get wild life)

Or...you can play with no 'major' at all; kinda boring, but a good way to learn the mechanics without anyone annoying you. [:)]
KingHalford

Post by KingHalford »

I'd go for a Siwa planet with mostly farmers and no wildlife. You'll still run into issues as you learn the ropes but the plentiful nature of resources should reduce the risk of early wars.
Ben "BATTLEMODE"
www.eXplorminate.co
Maerchen

Post by Maerchen »

General advice: I can recommend using meritocracy - commerce - mind. Won the last three games with it. Good bonuses, good leaders, good research. Make sure you set research to easy and try the different techs. As soon as you get automatic rifles or padded suits/combat armor, get a model department to get an edge over the raiders. Depending on your chosen world, you will have to nationalize the truck station or the recycling station in the first 3 turns and my 1st department would be military, economy or internal. 4th or 3rd is model development, depending on the opposition.

During world generation, read/reroll carefully the colonization and apocalypse reports. Worlds with military tend to have GR to salvage, liquid energy tend to have free 100 energy hex perks (no need to research power plants for a long time), nuked megacities a lot of ruins, etc.

Do not hoard your fate points but spend them wise. I won the last game by getting an edge over the enemy via using the 3 fate free tech discovery and research strat card.

I can recommend @mroyers et al's AARs as you can see there, what worked for them and what obstacles you may have to overcome. I failed more than once on not turtling up on critical infrastructure and greedy overextension.
The logistics hell this game is IS the fun part! - Maerchen, 2020

The good thing is, we have all the information in the reports. The bad thing is, we have all the information. Maerchen, 2020

Came for SE. Will stay for SE.

Return to “Shadow Empire”