Artillery

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

jarraya

Artillery

Post by jarraya »

I've run a few test in Sicily where I have an Infantry division attacking and entrenched enemy (Panzergrenadier) with and without attached artillery and the results are almost exactly the same in terms of losses to both sides and the inability to dislodge the enemy. I didn't get screenshots or saves unfortunately.

Can someone please help me understand how artillery works and how is the best way to use the support units?
loki100

RE: Artillery

Post by loki100 »

combat related SU should either be in the divisional unit (tanks/engineers are good for this) or in the commanding corps.

Artillery is mainly a disrupter not a killer. I'd guess what is happening is the entrenchments (& terrain given you are discussing Sicily) is significantly reducing the impact and those German Pzr Gr formations are tough.

So artillery (if it hits) mostly disrupts in the early combat phase, those disrupted elements then don't fight if you close to make an actual assault.

You may well be stopping early (see the range indicator on the battle) if your men don't fancy re-enacting the Somme?

You may want more artillery or - and this maybe hard in Sicily - heavier artillery. Ground support can compensate for a lack of this.

Or - my suggestion, go and attack something else, there must be a weaker spot in their line?
Hoggorm

Post by Hoggorm »

ORIGINAL: loki100

You may want more artillery or - and this maybe hard in Sicily - heavier artillery. Ground support can compensate for a lack of this.

Do you mean air support, loki?
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: Hoggorm

ORIGINAL: loki100

Do you mean air support, loki?

yes, the combat routine runs the impact of air-ground support first, so you get disruptions (or better) and those elements are then set aside for the main combat

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”