2021 plans/expectations (no politics please)

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

MrsWargamer

2021 plans/expectations (no politics please)

Post by MrsWargamer »

2020, has been a hoot (insert truckload of grumbling here).

I got nothing of merit down this year. Spent a lot of time on my bike this summer, but covid made it so there was no place to aim for to go :)

But otherwise, the year hasn't been too bad. Just very light on getting much done.

My 2021 resolution, aim low on expectations (I've generated a lot of misery based on aiming too high for myself this year).

Short of the world ending (that's always a good way to ruin my plans), I'm aiming for a few things, of a modest nature.

All more or less hobby related (I have one relationship hope, but, I'm not going to jinx that by discussing it).

Models. Massive need for a lot of mundane airbrushing. Going to employ the kitchen, the sink allows fast easy clean up. Easy to avoid getting spray dust on things, nothing in the kitchen is vulnerable. Also easy to ventilate.

Painting. I paint landscapes. Hoping to arrange a spot to do that, so it is less a nuisance to set up to paint.

Wargaming. Soo, the usual "where to set up a board game wargame" I think I have a solution.
Wood panel backing big enough for the map. Paper or mounted not relevant. I might colour copy expendable use ones. Likely try and use cheap plywood sheets. Most wargames are not epic size. My collections is mostly 2'x4' managable.
So, the key to the idea, is pick up and store easy.
The idea is make it so I can stack against a wall like a painting.
The method, mount small finishing brad sized nails in centre of every single playable hex of the map.
Then dril a minor hole in the centre of every single counter.
Counters are then placed on the nail.
This will permit the map to be picked up and then set on it's side, and nothing happens to counters.

This of course will only work for some wargame designs. Not for blocks, not for hex side facing important designs like ASL. But with a game like A3R, perfectly fine. Fortress Europa, Anzio, Russian Front, all doable. But my main objective, is for my monster game The Longest Day. Takes me days to set it up. Is all but impossible to find the space, normally. But I have no trouble finding a place to stack the boards. I'm an artist, I routinely have stacks of canvasses stored around here. I can store a 5'x5.5' sized surface.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
Blond_Knight

RE: 2021 plans/expectations (no politics please)

Post by Blond_Knight »

Ive been extraordinarily fortunate. My IT job is unaffected by the apocalypse and Ive been able to work from home since March.
I got out of a toxic relationship, and found a beautiful, geeky, sci fi woman that Im now engaged to.

For 2021 I plan to keep learning the violin, paint more miniatures, and saving money for WITE2.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Blond_Knight

I got out of a toxic relationship, and found a beautiful, geeky, sci fi woman that Im now engaged to.
You lucky BASTARD! Congratulations!

[edit]
Is she wargamer? Can we expect to see her around this forum?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
rico21

Post by rico21 »

Staying alive and playing wargames.[:)]
JWW

Post by JWW »

I am looking forward to the inauguration of..........oh, wait, no politics.

I retired from my second career this summer. Teaching, after a military career. Wife and I look forward to spending time with our grandson (and our daughter and her husband) who is 1.5 years old right now and lives just 15 miles away, and travelling some when it becomes safer. I'm 66 and both of us have some health conditions, so we are keeping a moderately low profile, not totally isolating, but avoiding big crowds and not eating in restaurants, doing takeout instead, that kind of thing. In fact I made my retirement decision based on the current covid situation. I planned to teach a few more years.

I have always been active and now find I have more time to run and work out. I work out daily now instead of 3 times a week. And my heart doctor has encouraged me to keep working out due to a heart condition. In fact, he has told me, "Don't stop exercising."

I am spending more time reading, currently the Galaxy's Edge sci fi series by Jason Anspach and Max Cole. I highly recommend it if you like sci fi with lot of detailed combat action, ground and space, with intrigue and politics mixed in.

I'm doing some on line mentoring of my relacement at the school where I taught, just volunteering to give some initial advice and answering questions. I was the school yearbook sponsor as well as teaching English, and the yearbook is tricky and requires different skills like business management and such, especially the first year.

And I'm spending more time playing games. For example, I'm running my very first heavily committed full run WITE, playing as Germany. It is December. I've taken Moscow and one hex of Leningrad. I think I am on the edge of either a glorious victory or a huge upcoming collapse. I've played scenarios but never thought I had the time to go a full game. On the other hand, I am also running a game of Star Traders: Frontiers. I really like that game. I'm a smuggler and just getting started on a new game after starting a couple just to get some experience. I'm alternating days on those two games right now. Also looking at Griftland. And will get back to the brilliant Shadow Empire and Shock Force 2 in time.

We also got to two hurricanes this summer in north Louisiana with only minor damage and only five days without power. Fortunately daughter and husband had power for 3 of those days. And the fence guy happens to be here right now repairing a 15-foot section of privacy fence that was literally snapped off at the base (wooden posts) and pushed back into a storeroom by a wind gust. My only damage. So things are good.
JWW

Post by JWW »

Oops. Double post. How did I do that? Thought I was editing.
Blond_Knight

Post by Blond_Knight »

ORIGINAL: Kuokkanen

You lucky BASTARD! Congratulations!

[edit]
Is she wargamer? Can we expect to see her around this forum?

Alas no. Shes very much a Sims player. Although she did get me into WOW, which is, eh OK.
But even playing different games we game together, which is cool.

Shes mildly amused listening to me last weekend playing Warplan and WITW. And only a little concerned to hear I dont play as the Amis. But I explained der Fuhrer had ordered me to hold the Russians out of Prussia(Warplan), and defend Italia(WITW)and how those pesky Amis wouldnt stop bombing my production centers.
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

I would mount those unit pieces on magnets and magnetize the board. I have seen that and it won't ruin the counters.

Hopefully I can get a new computer this year and a decent vehicle next year.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

ORIGINAL: jwarrenw13

I retired from my second career this summer. Teaching, after a military career. Wife and I look forward to spending time with our grandson (and our daughter and her husband) who is 1.5 years old right now and lives just 15 miles away, and travelling some when it becomes safer. I'm 66 and both of us have some health conditions, so we are keeping a moderately low profile, not totally isolating, but avoiding big crowds and not eating in restaurants, doing takeout instead, that kind of thing. In fact I made my retirement decision based on the current covid situation. I planned to teach a few more years.

I have always been active and now find I have more time to run and work out. I work out daily now instead of 3 times a week. And my heart doctor has encouraged me to keep working out due to a heart condition. In fact, he has told me, "Don't stop exercising."

I am spending more time reading, currently the Galaxy's Edge sci fi series by Jason Anspach and Max Cole. I highly recommend it if you like sci fi with lot of detailed combat action, ground and space, with intrigue and politics mixed in.

I'm doing some on line mentoring of my relacement at the school where I taught, just volunteering to give some initial advice and answering questions. I was the school yearbook sponsor as well as teaching English, and the yearbook is tricky and requires different skills like business management and such, especially the first year.

And I'm spending more time playing games. For example, I'm running my very first heavily committed full run WITE, playing as Germany. It is December. I've taken Moscow and one hex of Leningrad. I think I am on the edge of either a glorious victory or a huge upcoming collapse. I've played scenarios but never thought I had the time to go a full game. On the other hand, I am also running a game of Star Traders: Frontiers. I really like that game. I'm a smuggler and just getting started on a new game after starting a couple just to get some experience. I'm alternating days on those two games right now. Also looking at Griftland. And will get back to the brilliant Shadow Empire and Shock Force 2 in time.

We also got to two hurricanes this summer in north Louisiana with only minor damage and only five days without power. Fortunately daughter and husband had power for 3 of those days. And the fence guy happens to be here right now repairing a 15-foot section of privacy fence that was literally snapped off at the base (wooden posts) and pushed back into a storeroom by a wind gust. My only damage. So things are good.

Well, if you have been in the US military during wartime, I do believe that there is a program for wartime era veterans for aid and attendance. You might want to check it out but don't be turned off right away if your income is too high since there are deductions for medical expenses including things that you may not consider medical expenses.

Also, consider getting a generator and some sort of battery back-up in case you need to turn off and service the generator. That way, you could still wargame. But that is what you get for living someplace where you are so friendly with your storms that you name them.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
JWW

Post by JWW »

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

ORIGINAL: jwarrenw13

Well, if you have been in the US military during wartime, I do believe that there is a program for wartime era veterans for aid and attendance. You might want to check it out but don't be turned off right away if your income is too high since there are deductions for medical expenses including things that you may not consider medical expenses.

Also, consider getting a generator and some sort of battery back-up in case you need to turn off and service the generator. That way, you could still wargame. But that is what you get for living someplace where you are so friendly with your storms that you name them.

Thanks. We're good and prepared. Especially since there is another potential tropical storm in the Gulf right now. Invest 95L. South of western Cuba right now and headed...somewhere. Computer projections are all over the place so far.
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer
Wargaming. Soo, the usual "where to set up a board game wargame" I think I have a solution.
Wood panel backing big enough for the map. Paper or mounted not relevant. I might colour copy expendable use ones. Likely try and use cheap plywood sheets. Most wargames are not epic size. My collections is mostly 2'x4' managable.
So, the key to the idea, is pick up and store easy.
The idea is make it so I can stack against a wall like a painting.
The method, mount small finishing brad sized nails in centre of every single playable hex of the map.
Then dril a minor hole in the centre of every single counter.
Counters are then placed on the nail.
This will permit the map to be picked up and then set on it's side, and nothing happens to counters.

This of course will only work for some wargame designs. Not for blocks, not for hex side facing important designs like ASL. But with a game like A3R, perfectly fine. Fortress Europa, Anzio, Russian Front, all doable. But my main objective, is for my monster game The Longest Day. Takes me days to set it up. Is all but impossible to find the space, normally. But I have no trouble finding a place to stack the boards. I'm an artist, I routinely have stacks of canvasses stored around here. I can store a 5'x5.5' sized surface.

I seriously hope you jesting?

If not I’ll be calling the Board Wargaming Abuse Hotline and see about rescuing the innocent cardboard counters and paper maps you plan on mutilating!

Do you know (since you play ASL, assuming you know whom LFT is), that one of the fellows from LFT created a lovely and splendid VASSAL module for TLD?

It makes playing and enjoying TLD a realistic hope and saves the poor cardboard warriors a gruesome impaling death and the work of art map boards from being defaced!
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Was not aware of the Vassal module. Might look into that.

I have plenty of map copies, and even made a set of counter copies (the plan was to attach to straight pins and use a corkboard surface).

Not really wanting to centre hole 10 thousand counters. Once had a chance to sell my copy to David Heath, but even though he offered an impressive price, just couldn't let it go.
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

Here is the links, it’s quite lovely:

http://vasl.batisse.free.fr/the-longest-day.html
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
Don60420

Post by Don60420 »

Life returning to normal, and actually having time to play some of the backlog of games I have purchased.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Great news! Nerd chicks are the best. Speaking from experience here. My nerd wife and I are going to celebrate 25 years of marriage next year. [8D]
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

.....and found a beautiful, geeky, sci fi woman that Im now engaged to.

My nerd wife and I are going to celebrate 25 years of marriage next year. [8D]
warspite1

Congrats to you both - well, all four of you [:)]
As a wise man once asked:

War - What is it good for?
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

Great news! Nerd chicks are the best. Speaking from experience here. My nerd wife and I are going to celebrate 25 years of marriage next year. [8D]
25 years! Aren't you eligible for parole yet?
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

I must agree :)
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Rather than a new thread, I'll settle for saying here, thanks for the heads up re Vassal.

Wow, what a rush of nostalgia. I haven't considered Vassal for so long, odds are my stored files are long out of date now :)

So many old classics I'd like to play again. Loved a lot of the old AH flat box classics.

Maybe I need to give some serious time pondering Vassal before I start whacking holes in thousands of counters eh :)

The only thing, is I like pushing actual cardboard.

Return to “General Discussion”