Proficiency question?

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
carll11

Proficiency question?

Post by carll11 »

I am tinkering, I am modifying some units strengths, adding first to select units....

While I have been doing this I have noticed that the 'counter strengths' of the other units in the Current force are dropping, across the board.

Bn's. that were 16-18 for example went down to 12-16....

Is this a proficiency issue? Or?
76mm

RE: Proficiency question?

Post by 76mm »

Displayed strengths are scaled relative to other units in the game. So if you are increasing the strength of some units, the displayed strength of the other units might decrease. Nothing changes under the hood, just what you see.

That's how I understand it, anyway.
carll11

Post by carll11 »

ORIGINAL: 76mm

Displayed strengths are scaled relative to other units in the game. So if you are increasing the strength of some units, the displayed strength of the other units might decrease. Nothing changes under the hood, just what you see.

That's how I understand it, anyway.

Thx 76....I hear what you're saying, but not sure I understand it.
Are you implying the units that have scaled down their 'displayed' strengths will still fight as if they were higher...?? I have not touched the opposing forces units yet, but they still look the same , so one on one, my units would fight with what 'strength' then?
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: carll11
Are you implying the units that have scaled down their 'displayed' strengths will still fight as if they were higher...??
The units' actual strength shouldn't change, only their displayed strength, although I would think that the opposing force's displays should also scale accordingly, so if they haven't changed, dunno.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

From what I understand TOAW aims for a display strength max of about 32 so it takes the strongest unit on that force and scales it by whatever factor needed to make the display approx. 32 or so even though the "internal strength" of the unit may actually figure into the tens of thousands. And the rest of the units are scaled by the same factor to give all of them their display strength. The other side goes through the same procedure for their units.
What would be the ideal name of a weapon if a soldier goes to war with the arms of a T-Rex?
It would probably be small arms.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson
The other side goes through the same procedure for their units.
You would think that if you modify the strengths of Force 1 units, the displayed strength of Force 2 units would also be adjusted, to keep them "in sync"?
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

okay. you caught me. I made all that stuff up from what I had heard through the grapevine. But you bring up a great point. I suppose the game engine would have to find the largest unit on either side and scale everybody on both sides from that largest unit.
What would be the ideal name of a weapon if a soldier goes to war with the arms of a T-Rex?
It would probably be small arms.
RFalvo69

Post by RFalvo69 »

If you play a WWIII scenario, the Anti-Armor strength of some units can be 128 or more (!). Anyway, what is displayed is always a "synthesis" of a unit strength (in a given field: Anti-Personnel, Low-AA...) compared to other units in the scenario. It is an expedient that allows the human player to grasp the general situation "at glance". The combat routines always use the absolute strengths and go down to "single unit vs. single unit" fights.

This is, at least, how I understand it.
"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”