How good is WIF?

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

wobbleguts

How good is WIF?

Post by wobbleguts »

I am a bit long in the tooth and a veteran war gamer.I bought the board version of this game years ago after reading reviews but never got to play because it got burnt in a house fire. I had read a few pages of the manual before this happened and was fascinated by the detailed game rules (like how many pilots you train etc).

Did a search on WIF a few days ago and was surprised to see the Aussie company that produced it are still there and selling WIF. Sadly the game is now very expensive and I don't think I could set it up on the table because of the cat/children and a possible angry wife.

But there was a link to Matrix games who seem to have the computer portal rights. This is excellent news because I have SC WW2 at war and it is good.

Is the matrix version of WIF as detailed as the board game? Also I've read conflicting posts on the AI opponent. Some say it is not available because the game is so complicated and you can only play by PBEM etc. Is that correct? I would need to play solitaire against inbuilt AI.

If there is an effective AI opponent can I look at the manual before purchasing?

Thanks

davidachamberlain

RE: How good is WIF?

Post by davidachamberlain »

I think the game is pretty good, but there is not "yet" an AI component available. It is on the backlog after implementation (and fixing) of remaining optional rules and scenarios.

I do not see that as a problem though. The rules of the game are rigorously enforced in the logic, so the rules management is not really a concern.

You can play the game solitaire, with an opponent or even a group using a screen sharing app like Teamviewer.

You might initially think that solitaire will have expected outcomes, but between the fog of war impacts of weather, a random turn ending, combat rolls, and even forgetting planned moves, the game is a good challenge, even with solitaire.

At present, I am playing using Teamviewer with 4 other opponents in different Canadian provinces and states. It has been a long game since life gets in the way. I also continue a solitaire game when I have time. No pieces to lose and everything stays organized.

Dave
Angeldust2

Post by Angeldust2 »

The Matrix version of WIF = MWIF is as detailed as the boardgame version. In a sense it is even more detailed, as the whole map is in the "European map scale", thereas the boardgame version uses for Asia and other parts of the world so called off-map boxes. Basically MWIF is a better way to play WIF, the differences/compromises are so minimal, they can be neglected by you.
MWIF is a computerised version of WIF FE (Final Edition), also known as WIF7.
Two years ago ADG, the creator of WIF, has published a new version of WIF, called WIF8. WIF8 is developed further, more streamlined and polished, than WIF7 and MWIF does not emulate WIF8, but MWIF is still supported by the developer, gets bug fixes and regular updates.
There is currently no AI opponent implemented. Still there are several major advantages to play MWIF instead of the boardgame. There is no problem with cats/children/angry wives, as you already found out by yourself. But the biggest advantage IMHO is for a newbie in learning the game: The game forces you to adhere to the rules and makes it so much easier to learn and to master this more-than-three-decades-old-game. It is the best learning tool you can imagine! I have seen on several occasions very experienced players on conventions playing some rules wrongly for 20+ years, because they were used to play some minor rules always the same wrong way in their local groups. Setting up a game is so much quicker than in WIF. It is easier to not forget some units to move. You cannot unintentionally flip a counter or move it by one hex on the East Front unnoticed. You can save easily and simulate/study some situations in different ways.
The game is ideally suited to be played solitarily, both just to learn the rules, but also for fun and to master the fine details. And you can still play with/against other players, both online but also offline, using email and/or other chat applications like whatsapp or teamviewer/skype/discord.
Read some AAR and you will get an idea.
jesperpehrson

Post by jesperpehrson »

It is awesome. It is the best WIF-experience I have had and I have been playing the game since the mid 90s.
Best thing is to play for a while on your own and then find an opponent who will play with you via email. It is perfect for whatever pace you agree to and very enjoyable.
PBEMgames played
- Korea 50-51 MV as communist
- Agonia y Victoria xx as Republican
- Plan Blau OV as Soviet
- The great war xx as Central Powers
- DNO XX as Soviet
craigbear

Post by craigbear »

I would wait for a sale, though. They happen intermittently.
wobbleguts

Post by wobbleguts »

Thanks for all the info. It sounds great.

However, can you confirm one more time that I would be able to play the game on my own, without any opponents - ie, play as both sides? I'm 99.99% convinced you have already confirmed this - just want to make absolutely sure because this is how I would like to learn the game. I'm guessing it would be an option like there is in SC WWII, where you can change the powers you and the AI are playing during gameplay. But can you start a game of WIF if there isn't an AI or opponent? You can't do that in SC WWII, the AI has to be given a power to control before you start. Does WIF have an additional solitaire option when creating a new game? Worried that if I try to start a game, the option to play as both sides will be greyed out/inaccessible (like it is in SC), or if I give the opponent some control and press next, I get a message like 'opponent not found try again' or similar. Hope you understand my concerns about this. Can someone explain how you start a WIF game without any opponents or AI? Have never played a strategy game that allowed you to do this.

Angeldust2

Post by Angeldust2 »

Yes, there is an explicit solitaire option to start a game.
wobbleguts

Post by wobbleguts »

ORIGINAL: Angeldust2

Yes, there is an explicit solitaire option to start a game.

Thank you!

My last question is for the matrix team. When I ordered SC WWII, I wanted the box set (because it included a hard copy manual). I posted a a question about the contents of the box set and Matrix said they were not shipping box sets due to the Covid virus . so I had to download it.

This meant I only got a PDF manual, which I hate.

Can I order a boxed WIF game and get it shipped to Australia? When I was trying to order the box set of SC WWII, the Matrix store didn't tell me it was no longer available. Only found out this was the case from the forums.

I would like to order the box set of MWIF (with manuals etc).

Nami Koshino

Post by Nami Koshino »

ORIGINAL: wobbleguts

You can't do that in SC WWII, the AI has to be given a power to control before you start.

You can play both sides without the AI in Strategic Command. Just start in the game in hot seat mode.
Rice is a great snack when you're hungry and you want 2,000 of something to eat.
wobbleguts

Post by wobbleguts »

ORIGINAL: Nami Koshino

ORIGINAL: wobbleguts

You can't do that in SC WWII, the AI has to be given a power to control before you start.

You can play both sides without the AI in Strategic Command. Just start in the game in hot seat mode.

Thanks. Never understood what Hot seat mode means and just ignored it. What is Hot Seat mode?
Angeldust2

Post by Angeldust2 »

Hot seat mode is for two opposing players playing on the same computer. You should just start a solitair game.
wobbleguts

Post by wobbleguts »

On the same computer. Got it.
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

Welcome wobbleguts, from sunny Tassie.

Probably the best place to start with learning MWiF (Matrix Games World in Flames) is the video tutorials, which are available here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQkQv9X ... oZSJD3fs-C

I made my avatar from the global map in MWiF. Those are it's actual dimensions.

Attachments
Globalmap.jpg
Globalmap.jpg (191.47 KiB) Viewed 13 times
Cheers, Neilster
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

An example of the European scale applied to the Pacific Theatre.

Attachments
Australia_East_Coast.jpg
Australia_East_Coast.jpg (122.03 KiB) Viewed 13 times
Cheers, Neilster
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

Unit types

Attachments
97F87539D2..3347F00F.jpg
97F87539D2..3347F00F.jpg (84.18 KiB) Viewed 13 times
Cheers, Neilster
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

Land units explained

Attachments
C9E52EE541..B3B8C02C.jpg
C9E52EE541..B3B8C02C.jpg (65.27 KiB) Viewed 13 times
Cheers, Neilster
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

Air units explained

Attachments
B428C0A6EF..B3BCC836.jpg
B428C0A6EF..B3BCC836.jpg (82.05 KiB) Viewed 13 times
Cheers, Neilster
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

More air units stuff

Attachments
C5C5AAD428..18065EC9.jpg
C5C5AAD428..18065EC9.jpg (87.94 KiB) Viewed 13 times
Cheers, Neilster
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

An example of counters at lower resolution. There are multiple levels of zoom for ease of play.

Attachments
Countermix.jpg
Countermix.jpg (281.55 KiB) Viewed 13 times
Cheers, Neilster
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

An example of part of a game screen from SEP/OCT 39.

Attachments
SEPOCT39..attack1.jpg
SEPOCT39..attack1.jpg (914.37 KiB) Viewed 13 times
Cheers, Neilster

Return to “World in Flames”