Why I need envirosuit on that planet?

A military-oriented and sci-fi wargame, set on procedural planets with customizable factions and endless choices.

Moderator: Vic

demiare

Why I need envirosuit on that planet?

Post by demiare »

Unsure that this is not technically issue, but quite possible it's not so I will post it in general forum.

After wasting a hour I finally generated a perfect bloody hell planet (hint: there is a single water source on whole planet! [:D]), but after starting actual game I found something strange.

Why we need to wear envirosuits instead of filters here (see image)? Temperature is fine too -24C...+31C.

P.S. Was anybody capable to create a planet with alien life BHL between 1 and 3? All I was able to get is either 0 (Siwa) or 4 (anything else).

Attachments
shadow_emp.._ecology.jpg
shadow_emp.._ecology.jpg (138.54 KiB) Viewed 12 times
Antediluvian_Monster

RE: Why I need envirosuit on that planet?

Post by Antediluvian_Monster »

Too much sulfur dioxide will push RHL to 4/insidious. I think that's the reason why Limnos class planets will always be unbreathable, even after introduction of Earth plants and oxygen. I have also seen it on Boreas class worlds, though in their case it's only really relevant if you are going with a slushball Boreas as those can potentially support breathable atmosphere when Earth plants are introduced on the equator.

I have seen BHL 1-3 on Cerberus class, but probably same with other unconventional biospheres (though Cerberus class seems the only one aside Siwa and Medusa that regularily supports an alien biosphere without forcing it).
HansLemurson

RE: Why I need envirosuit on that planet?

Post by HansLemurson »

I agree, filters should be just fine. According the the toxicology data I could find:
-CO2 levels are high enough to make the air feel very stuffy and stale, but not actually be toxic.
-Ammonia levels are high enough to make the place stink to high heaven, but not actually be toxic.
-SO2 levels are high enough to cause gagging and irritation, and you'd have problems breathing it long term. But a gas filter mask should be enough.

Interestingly, the SO2 and Ammonia should actually cancel each other out in the atmosphere, since they're an acid and a base.

Return to “Shadow Empire”