Pantsir S1 losses in Libya

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Rondor11

Pantsir S1 losses in Libya

Post by Rondor11 »

Chris B

Tribute to DD485, the USS Duncan. Sunk at Cape Esperance October 11, 1942 with my 15 year old father aboard. 48 died from wounds and sharks.
Dimitris

RE: Pantsir S1 losses in Libya

Post by Dimitris »

Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

Maybe something of an interest:

https://lenta.ru/news/2020/06/19/pantzir/

https://zvezdaweekly.ru/news/t/20206151625-rTG2W.html

1) Lack of search radar on some of early export version Pantsyrs (they got only optical/IR targeting, and antennas are for communicating control signal to missiles). This simplified version is 2-2.5 times cheaper;
2) Vehicles with search radars are attacked from “dead zone” above the vehicle where search radar is unable to see them (this is easily addressed by vehicles acting not alone but covering each other’s “dead zones”);
3) General lack of attention by Libyan\UAE crews to covering vehicles and selecting proper positions/transportation organization.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Rondor11

Post by Rondor11 »

Well, either the system is inherently flawed or the export versions and subsequent training are worthless. Either way, this system is significantly over-rated around the world. I hope we are able to buy the S400 system Turkey received from Russia. My guess is there will also be exploitable issues that are exposed when it is reverse-engineered.
Chris B

Tribute to DD485, the USS Duncan. Sunk at Cape Esperance October 11, 1942 with my 15 year old father aboard. 48 died from wounds and sharks.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”