How's this game?

A military-oriented and sci-fi wargame, set on procedural planets with customizable factions and endless choices.

Moderator: Vic

ThunderLizard11

How's this game?

Post by ThunderLizard11 »

This one's different than the usual Matrix/Slitherine fare I'm used to. How do people like it and what type of player does it appeal to?
Clux

RE: How's this game?

Post by Clux »

Its very different and its kinda hard to get into at first. Its a great game for players who likes 4X and wargaming games. If you are really curios about it, search a YT series :)
Amateurs talk about strategy. Professionals talk about logistics!
Lovenought

Post by Lovenought »

I like it, but it still has a bunch of kinks. Biggest one that seems to get a lot of people is that the RNG is a bit too severe at the moment in a few areas, which is compounded by how much of a time investment it is. I haven't had terrible experiences with that, but i've only played three games, and i'm still only at turn 68 on my first serious game (where I know what i'm doing. Quit the others because I messed up horribly, but learned a lot in the process.)

By RNG I mean you might not start with resources like steel (unless playing on Beginner). Or might start in some other really bad position that becomes apparent over time. And unless you know a lot about planetary physics you are going to be re-rolling a lot during game creation until you get whatever type of planet you want. And ofc there are bugs and performance issues and such here and there, but that's with every new game, and none of them (that i've encountered) are game-breaking. And a few weird design choices, but most of them are getting cleaned up after player feedback.

Overall I really enjoy it, it's the first videogame i've really sunk my teeth into in several months. I think i've put in at least 20 or more hours so far. Maybe 30. Don't know for sure because it's not on Steam yet, so it doesn't track.

I really love these kinds of grognardy games, and i'm loving this. It gives me flashbacks to War In The West. It's less like Civilisation or Hearts of Iron and more like Aurora 4X, or Dwarf Fortress, or Gary Grigsby's War in the West/East/Pacific. If you like anything like that you'll probably like this. If you're the kind of person who loves diving into something, having no idea what you are doing, and slowly unraveling it all and mastering it. A lot of trial and experimentation, manual referencing, and forum posting [:D]
mroyer

Post by mroyer »

I'm typically a WW2 gamer - going way back to 1970s. I use to read sifi, long ago, but never really gamed it. I stumbled onto Shadow Empire by chance and, on a lark, decided to give it a go. As Clux says, it's difficult to get into - lots of things going on - but boy, so far I've had a blast with it. To me it feels familiar in that it's core wargame mechanics have a very mid 20th century feel. But, overlay on top of that an economic, political and social backdrop that you need to manage. They give your military actions real meaning beyond just the collection of victory points. This is very cool.

Then there's the whole planet generation thing... so awesome.

-Mark R.
eddieballgame

Post by eddieballgame »

A unique blend of 4X & rpg combined with a UI that that lets you handle a plethora of decisions & actions in a streamlined manner.
There is also multiplayer via email or some other method to transfer a small file & 'hotseat'.
The large free manual combined with multiple YouTube videos (DasTactics +++) & the all important engaged 'dev' & community will ensure this gem will become a proverbial classic.
budd

Post by budd »

It's like Decisive Campaigns Barbarossa and Advanced Tactics Gold had a baby, and the baby was on steroids. It's a 4X with a more wargaming bent.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
FAA

Post by FAA »

It’s quite hardcore, as it can simulate a great variety of settings, some of which are extremely hard. Beginner makes things easier, but don’t expect a walk in the park. It’s a harsh, unforgiving world, and you need to play accordingly.
JWW

Post by JWW »

I agree with FAA. I don't think the RNG are too severe. It is just, as FAA said, "a harsh, unforgiving world."
diamondspider

Post by diamondspider »

If you want a picture of this game, imagine a boot stomping on the human face, forever...

Kidding! It is one of my top 5 favorite games ever and best recent game by far. Finally a very deep and complicated game doesn't have a boring WWII theme (and here by boring I mean that the first 10,000 hours of playing these games were not boring but, eventually, unless one is a huge fan of a theme, it inevitably comes). Distant Worlds is probably the last game that came a little bit close, but this game is at least 10x more complex.
Zyphtan

Post by Zyphtan »

New Favorite game. I have so many games and lots of them I love but this game is fantastic and it really draws you in. I saw Rimmy play it and show off some of the systems and knew I had to play it. Been having a blast. A game has never drawn me in so much that I will actively participate in discussions and try to further my knowledge of the game and it's mechanics.

I don't think I'll look at civ again lol
eddyvegas

Post by eddyvegas »

As you can see from my post count, I would never buy a wargame. Terrible sound and graphics, way too many rules, who cares about the Franco-Prussian war anyway. But I saw a post, then a youtube, then I dithered for a couple days, but I had money in my PayPal, so I went for it. Got down to a planet, looked at the graphics and the buttons, and said, 'man, you just wasted 30€'.

Well here we are 2 weeks later, and not only am I still playing the heck out of it, but in my opinion it's the most addictive game I've played since Rimworld. Yes it's janky as heck, yes the sound effects and voice acting are terrible, yes the UI is like a Frankenstein monster with different arms and legs attached to the body. Doesn't matter. This game, somehow, broke through the jank.

I also made a UI mod for the game, it's in the Graphic Mods section.

Anyway, I like this game. And I shouldn't.
Tchey

Post by Tchey »

I love the idea of wargames and 4X.
I dislike "real war settings" like WW I or II, Napoleon etc, i find them very boring, not appealing at all, for some reason.
I love sci-fi and post-apo themes in general.
I dislike game with "XX amount of units at start, deal with them", unless it’s Chess or similar...
I love base building and growing my civilisation.
I love indie games usually, with depth hidden behind complexe GUI or barebone visuals.

So far, i really like a lot Shadow Empire.
* Jeux1d100 ? Le blog Jeux1d100.net sur les jeux indécents et Linux, et la chaîne YouTube *
Fleshbits

Post by Fleshbits »

You aren't going to get an unbiased opinion when asking on the game's official forums...
Windows 7 64 bit, i7 930, GTX670, 12 gig DDR 1300
diamondspider

Post by diamondspider »

You aren't going to get an unbiased opinion when asking on the game's official forums...

I can 100% guarantee you that I am giving my unbiased opinion on how much I like the game. If someone wants an opinion about a game that is unbiased how can this be achieved?
Fleshbits

Post by Fleshbits »

ORIGINAL: diamondspider

I can 100% guarantee you that I am giving my unbiased opinion on how much I like the game.

If you weren't in love with the game you wouldn't be here.
ORIGINAL: diamondspider
If someone wants an opinion about a game that is unbiased how can this be achieved?

Pretty hard to do for a game that hasn't been released and most people haven't heard of.

After it has, any public review system does fine.
Windows 7 64 bit, i7 930, GTX670, 12 gig DDR 1300
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

Well, there have been a couple public reviews, yes? Generally very positive, but noting that the UI is quirky and the graphics are not fantastic. That's my take on it: terrific, innovative, addictive gameplay -- but the UI, graphics and especially the documentation could use an upgrade.

Explorimate has an extremely detailed and favorable review here: https://explorminate.co/what-to-expect-shadow-empire/

Wargamer has also reviewed it favorably, but I think that site has some affiliation with Matrix or Slitherine, doesn't it?
willgamer

Post by willgamer »

Hard to learn...

Harder to master....

Harder yet to put down and go to bed..... [:D]
Rex Lex or Lex Rex?
bradley364

Post by bradley364 »

Addictive AF. Like other's have said, I have never tried a game of this caliber and complexity. But after binging DasTactic's videos, and skimming the manual, I jumped in. It was tough, but I am learning, and getting better, but it still feels like I'm just getting started.
josefrees

Post by josefrees »

Definitely fun and interesting game. the hard part is just getting comfortable with the core and figuring out how to do what you wanna do but I’ve played a few games that work the same way in certain areas. Like combat and army management is a lot like HoI4 but with a few more wrinkles.
JWW

Post by JWW »

ORIGINAL: Fleshbits

What I think you meant to say is that most people who are discussing the game on the game's official forum have a positive opinion toward the game and are likely to say positive things about it or they would not be playing it and wouldn't be posting.

That is not bias. Bias has a negative connotation that implies prejudice, as defined by Merriam-Webster "an inclination of temperament or outlook especially : a personal and sometimes unreasoned judgment : PREJUDICE'." Merriam-Webster defines prejudice as "(1) preconceived judgment or opinion (2): an adverse opinion or leaning formed without just grounds or before sufficient knowledge."

I am not biased toward SE. I have a positive opinion of it after playing a good many hours.

Return to “Shadow Empire”