Distant Worlds 2 Christmas 2019 Sneak Peek!

The Galaxy Lives On! Distant Worlds, the critically acclaimed 4X space strategy game is back with a brand new 64-bit engine, 3D graphics and a polished interface to begin an epic new Distant Worlds series with Distant Worlds 2. Distant Worlds 2 is a vast, pausable real-time 4X space strategy game. Experience the full depth and detail of turn-based strategy, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game.

Moderator: MOD_DW2

Castinar

RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek!

Post by Castinar »

Great to hear!!!!! Really looking forward to this one!!!!! Will immediately go to the top of my must stream list!
Bleek

Post by Bleek »

Consider my ticket to the hype train purchased. [:D]
I've been beta testing myself for decades.
Latisrof

Post by Latisrof »

Wow that is really good news guys.
"The goddess of victory is waving her underwear in your faces!" - Fritz Josef Bittenfeld
Drumline2

Post by Drumline2 »

Thats fantastic to hear Erik! Im sure you may not be able to answer but ill ask anyway just in case you can :)

1) Are there any tid bits of information akin to the ship customization you might be able to share?

2) Do you guys have any kind of timeline expectation between the alpha to beta phases?

Thank you again for keeping us updated and cant wait to hear more!
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Yes, there will be a game editor as in DW1.

Just a quick note to let you all know that a small initial alpha test has begun, organized from our veteran DW1 tester group. When we're ready for a beta test, that will be posted here and we'll be recruiting publicly.

This is excellent news! Thanks, Erik!
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
swizzlewizzle

Post by swizzlewizzle »

4 years of work finally getting to beta.. the team must feel pretty thrilled, I imagine. :)
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

it seems that i came back on this glorious "Distant Worlds" Matrix forum at the right time [X(]
Biblical Galactic times await us..
Cubano

Post by Cubano »

I have given up on Stellaris. The AI, mid/end game micro-management and other issues have killed it for me.

Help me Erik Rutins, you're my only hope.
swizzlewizzle

Post by swizzlewizzle »

Yes. Stellaris looks good in terms of the graphics and presentation, but the actual game systems and performance issues are horrible.

I think it goes to show just how important good graphics, a "sharp" UI, and strong performance are in the current market...
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

Stellaris is a great game. DWU is a great game. SE4 is a great game etc... They're all good in their own ways. I have played all of these 4x games to death but the only one I can fire up still once in a while is Stellaris. Just my preference and opinion it means nothing. I really hope DW2 delivers.
OnePercent

Post by OnePercent »

Imo they both have strong points, stellaris is nice and shiny and new and appeals to a more broader audience. I like stellaris purely for its exploration of science-fiction concepts, like ringworlds, dyson spheres, eucemenopolis, orbital habitats. Stellaris also emphasizes is more of a culture/ideology vs itself.
I absolutely despise how shallow the combat system is though, and how basic everything looks. Stellaris has better 'sci-fi' overall.

Distant worlds truly shines here, while its scifi is quite dry like Starwars, it makes up for it by intricately detailing every little bit of logistic in the game, every little demand MUST have a supply and it graphically shows this, waging war in distant worlds is also so much fun, where fleet vs fleet doesn't just mean who has more 'fleet power' but who can put the best ship captains in command of the enemy ships, who can coordinate with strike forces and raiding ships to cripple an enemies military fuel depo's etc. This detail is what makes distant worlds special for me.

Now, if they can integrate good science fiction narative into DW2, it may well possibly be the best 4X ever made in existence (assuming it is what the devs want it to be, DW1 but just 'better')
Jorgen_CAB

Post by Jorgen_CAB »

In my opinion Stellaris was a nice idea but executed very poorly. The game lacks clear focus and their game mechanics interact with the main game in a very poor way which break the AI and leave mechanics functioning on their own and not as a whole. For me Stellaris is not a good game, more like a failed experiment. I hope Paradox make a new attempt and focus on the Grand Strategy theme and remove all the typical 4x micro management systems leave them where they belong.

I can't play Stellaris past 100 years as it bogs down into micro-management hell. Exploration is fun the first ten to fifteen years into the game and you stop reading the events as they mean nothing and are just a flavour text to loot boxes and have no real impact on the game. I actually find the exploration in DW more entertaining as figuring out how to build up your infrastructure based on it is way more appealing to me, there are no such thing in Stellaris as ANY place can produce pretty much any resource. There are no economy to balance in Stellaris other than producing the right building at the right time and it does not really matter where they are built either.

The combat mechanics are really shallow and they don't have a combat AI worth much either. Sure AI will always be AI and once you know how it works you can use it against itself. But AI in Stellaris are particularly inept to the point of being very boring in combat.

I still play the occasional game of Stellaris in the hope it will be more fun this time and always end up disappointed after 50-100 years into the game. My overal rating of Stellaris as a Sci-fi strategy game is probably around average. There are many games I would rate higher than Stellaris at this time. Distant Worlds are definitely one of the best Sci-Fi grand strategy games out there and I hope that the second instalment don't break that trend. From what we heard so far it does not seem likely to happen though.
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

It's funny how I hated micro management in DWU but enjoy it in Stellaris.
Ranbir

Post by Ranbir »

Might be the interface issue. I prefer fleets/ships in DWU but organising all of that in a tiny scrolling list was frustrating.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
wetpig

Post by wetpig »

I personally find Stellaris severely lacking in scale, space isn't vast and you end up surrounded by empires withing your first 10-30 years of gameplay! In comparison, in a prewarp start in DW:U you can go 10-50 years (I lower the warp speed to flesh things out) without meeting a single empire, space really does feel vast and lonely like it should in Distant Worlds.

DW:U has far more freedom of action than Stellaris, for example; in Stellaris I cant arrange to build mining bases within another empires borders, in DW:U I can.

Despite DW;U's clunky UI it offers a far more organic version of space that deals with the realities of vast distance more convincingly than Stellaris ever can (no fuel usage for instance) due to the inherent limitations in the clauswitz engine which i think is ill suited to a space game.

In my humble opinion, whilst I must admit Stellaris is infinitely easier to interact with it isn't half the game Distant Worlds is since it simply lacks so much in comparison, private econ for instance etc etc....

in a perfect world i would rip Stellaris's UI and events out and plaster them into DW:U's engine...
ElanaAhova_slith

Post by ElanaAhova_slith »

Wow. Wow. Did I mention, wow?
Do as you would be done by.
Bleek

Post by Bleek »

ORIGINAL: ElanaAhova_slith

Wow. Wow. Did I mention, wow?

World of Warcraft? [:D]
I've been beta testing myself for decades.
rxnnxs

Post by rxnnxs »

I do not play stellaris but only use the music in DW and Star Ruler 2 because thats where stellaris shines.

While you are waiting for DW2, why dont you look again into star ruler 2? it really makes fun. it has almost everything I would like to see in such a space game.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/282590/screenshots/
Webbco

Post by Webbco »

It's almost been 8 months since the first sneak peek. Any chance of another morsel of info about DW 2?
OnePercent

Post by OnePercent »

From the last reply from Eric it seems they are doing a closed Alpha test with the core public testers of DW1, so I assume when that's 'finished' they'll open it out to a public beta and we'll get more info then.

Return to “Distant Worlds 2”