Breathable atmosphere on Unclassified Planet

A military-oriented and sci-fi wargame, set on procedural planets with customizable factions and endless choices.

Moderator: Vic

76mm

Breathable atmosphere on Unclassified Planet

Post by 76mm »

I thought that Unclassified Planets would be sort of a random mix of elements from other planets, which I though would at least occasionally produce a planet with a breathable atmosphere. But hundreds of re-rolls later, despite a large variety of other characteristics, every planet has had an "insidious" atmosphere--is it possible to get breatheable astmospheres on Unclassified Planets?
eddieballgame

RE: Breathable atmosphere on Unclassified Planet

Post by eddieballgame »

Have not done that many re-rolls per a specific planet type.
I have seen, per Yellow-White Stars, mostly 'Insidious', followed by 'Toxic', 'Imperfect' & 'Insufficient' in that order of frequency.
budd

Post by budd »

Is it the star type that decides? I re- rolled a siwa two dozen times and got insidious while all the other categories would change.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
budd

Post by budd »

Why I would like a " dial the planet you want feature" sometimes you just don't want to go random.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
eddieballgame

Post by eddieballgame »

I have no idea how the 'star types' contribute to the final result.
Considering the amount of detail/thought that the 'dev' has put into this game, I suspect it certainly has some influence.
This would be consistent with other games that use star systems & how they impact the planets that exist therein.
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

ORIGINAL: budd

Is it the star type that decides? I re- rolled a siwa two dozen times and got insidious while all the other categories would change.
Insidious can mean "too little oxygen". Wich can also be because "Atmospehre to thin".

If you rolled a small map, it is a small planet, with low gravity so it can not have much of a atmosphere. Make sure you got the gravity to actually keep a atmosphere ~1 bar. If you got 0.5 bar, you would need around 42% oxygen to life without filter.
DW2 Poll:
"Should the Civil and non-Combat Ships loose all or most of their weapon slots?"
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=382690
springel

Post by springel »

Why do you roll 'unclassified' when you want something specific?

It sounds a bit like: doctor, when I do this and this and this, it hurts. So don't.
eddieballgame

Post by eddieballgame »

ORIGINAL: springel

It sounds a bit like: doctor, when I do this and this and this, it hurts. So don't.

I suspect he shares the same curiosity per what gets generated, as do I.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: springel
Because I don't want something specific, I want a surprise planet but also want a breathable atmosphere. Since my understanding is that the whole point of Unclassified Planets to to allow a mix of such characteristics, I don't see why the snark? If it's not possible that's fine, that's why I'm asking...
DeltaV112

Post by DeltaV112 »

Your best bet is probably to try and roll an unclassified that has liquid water and earth-like temperatures, along with appropriate age, and then roll repeatedly on the biosphere life to get carbon-oxygen life. My understanding is that the planet generation doesn't normally give oxygen-rich atmospheres without life on the planet in order to generate it. The other way that works is to generate an unclassified that is life-free but has liquid water and earth-like temperatures, and then during colonization humans will bring plants and they will give you an oxygen-rich atmosphere. That's how I got my current world. This does come with the little * that your world will have no oil because life didn't exist until after colonization.
Leslac

Post by Leslac »

When you roll the unclassified and want breathable atmospheres, you should pick the largest type of planet, as it has the best chance of 1g atmospheric pressure.

Obviously also the distance to and type of star has a big impact.

I tried rolling an unclassified small to medium planet and couldn't get anything with a proper atmosphere. Only the big planets have enough gravity to support one - if a range of other demands are met. When I picked the largest planet type and chose a planet with a comfortable temp, I got an earth-like atmosphere immediately.

I guess that statistical chance of smaller planets having proper atmospheres is very small. So if you want one, you should pick the earth-like class.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Your best bet is probably to try and roll an unclassified that has liquid water and earth-like temperatures, along with appropriate age, and then roll repeatedly on the biosphere life to get carbon-oxygen life.
That's what I tried--didn't work.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: Leslac
When you roll the unclassified and want breathable atmospheres, you should pick the largest type of planet, as it has the best chance of 1g atmospheric pressure.

Obviously also the distance to and type of star has a big impact.
When I picked the largest planet type and chose a planet with a comfortable temp, I got an earth-like atmosphere immediately.
Great, thanks, will try this next game.
Naselus

Post by Naselus »

Think I got a breathable atmosphere on an unclassified on like my 3rd roll? So yeah, it's likely something in your star system/geology which has made it impossible for the specific planet you're re-rolling.
Saros

Post by Saros »

Here's a trick to getting the best atmo for an unclassified planet. Roll up a lifeless planet with decent temps and some rainfall then roll the atmo till there is no terran farming hazard. If the atmo is still insufficient then go to the colonisation step. Terran plants will colonise the planet greatly incerasing the amount of O2 in the atmo which is usually enough to push it over to breathable. Works better on led-large planets as smaller ones often don't have a thick enough atmo.
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

1. You need high gravity, so it can hold atmosphere and get some of the worst stuff sealed in the crust. Easier if the map is big.
2. It needs to be old enough to have life, even just algea in teh ocean. The forumla for oxygen is "CO2 Atmosphere + Carbon Life". 5 Billion is a good target
3. It needs a okay-ish temperature. Earth would be 15°C according to the manual.
4. You need water. Because that is the other part of Oxygen-Water life.

Of course, at this point you are basically rolling between a Siwa and a Medusa class. The requirements for life, prohibit most values in planet generation.

Just recently I roleld a siwa where the entire north hemisphere was a desert - as it was hot and the oceans we all at the south pole.
DW2 Poll:
"Should the Civil and non-Combat Ships loose all or most of their weapon slots?"
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: Saros
Roll up a lifeless planet with decent temps and some rainfall then roll the atmo till there is no terran farming hazard. If the atmo is still insufficient then go to the colonisation step. Terran plants will colonise the planet greatly incerasing the amount of O2 in the atmo which is usually enough to push it over to breathable.
Didn't realize that the atmosphere can be different pre and post colonization? Interesting.
Naselus

Post by Naselus »

ORIGINAL: 76mm

Didn't realize that the atmosphere can be different pre and post colonization? Interesting.

You can get huge swings in O2 content during the colonization phase, provided earth plants can live on the planet. +20% is not impossible
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

ORIGINAL: 76mm
ORIGINAL: Saros
Roll up a lifeless planet with decent temps and some rainfall then roll the atmo till there is no terran farming hazard. If the atmo is still insufficient then go to the colonisation step. Terran plants will colonise the planet greatly incerasing the amount of O2 in the atmo which is usually enough to push it over to breathable.
The Formula for O2 Atmosphere is:
CO2
+
Plant- or Sealife
=
O2 Atmosphere.

I was not aware the colonisation could flip that either.
But if all you need to do is plopp down plants for a few centuries, it happened as a side effect of them doing opan-air farming*.

*Not as easy in real life. The baseline temperature in the game is set entirely by star distance.
In reality changing a 21.1% CO2 atmosphere to 21% O2 and 0.1% CO2 would (have to) undo a serious greenhouse effet.
So either the planet was to hot for plantlife before. Or it is to cold for it, after.
DW2 Poll:

Return to “Shadow Empire”