Starfall Corrected

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Sabranan

RE: Starfall Corrected

Post by Sabranan »

Ah, actually I think I've just spotted the problem. The link in the OP is pointing to an old version of the file, it seems that each time I update it I'll also have to generate a new link.

I've updated the link in the OP so you should be able to get the latest version now.
syntaXerroR

Post by syntaXerroR »

Sweet, thanks. I give it a try tonight.
your superior intellect is no match for my puny braiN!
BTAxis

Post by BTAxis »

This mod has some issues when played with the Bacon Mod exe (v 1.45). Sooner or later it begins to complain about missing images like so:

This does not happen with the original exe and also does not happen with any other mod in combination with Bacon as far as I can tell. Possibly it has to do with the AI designing ships.
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: BTAxis

This mod has some issues when played with the Bacon Mod exe (v 1.45). Sooner or later it begins to complain about missing images like so:

This does not happen with the original exe and also does not happen with any other mod in combination with Bacon as far as I can tell. Possibly it has to do with the AI designing ships.

Interesting.
First, check if that image for that ship and that family really is in the directory.
Second, have you added extra images for a ship type for a family? If so, they must be numbered consecutively. So after MediumSpacePort you would have to have MediumSpacePort1 before MediumSpacePort2.
Thirdly, did you add or remove pictures between saves of your game? Changing the total numer of images will break a save game. It's the only thing in the Bacon mod that breaks saved games. Usually you will notice right away as all the images will be shifted up or down by the number of images added/removed and you will wonder why your explorer suddenly has the image of a freighter or something like that.
I haven't played the starfall corrected mod but I have it downloaded. It looks like in only has ship images for families 27 and up so family 1 should still be your stock images because the Bacon Mod doesn't add any on its own.
BTC 14UURmC4rD762RStsufKmaUjfXQrBvahU1
ETH 0x7c65139BC82A0BDC5b11F92001D5c5a112219f08
Sabranan

Post by Sabranan »

I was going to say I haven't touched the images folder, it's identical to the original Starfall and it never had family1 images.

Assuming that BTAxis hasn't changed anything to do with ship images I wonder if maybe the Bacon changes are having some issue when a mod is missing ship images and has to fallback to stock?

If that is the case, it should be easy enough to fix just by copying the ship stock images into the mod folder, just don't include family 6 because Starfall already has that folder.
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: Sabranan

I was going to say I haven't touched the images folder, it's identical to the original Starfall and it never had family1 images.

Assuming that BTAxis hasn't changed anything to do with ship images I wonder if maybe the Bacon changes are having some issue when a mod is missing ship images and has to fallback to stock?

If that is the case, it should be easy enough to fix just by copying the ship stock images into the mod folder, just don't include family 6 because Starfall already has that folder.

Yes, I can confirm this. I just copied the missing families of ships into the mod and it works fine.
BTAxis

Post by BTAxis »

Okay, cool. I will do just that then.
BTAxis

Post by BTAxis »

Unfortunately, the errors persist even though I copied over the stock families. It can take a while for the errors to start though - the first one in my current game showed up in 2107.

In other news, I added bomber bays to this mod to take advantage of the bomber bay functionality of Bacon Mod. I followed Bacon World's example and tripled bomber damage, I'm not sure how that plays with the balance in Starfall.
Terraforming facility also updated.

Files here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwFEp ... 2Z2SVZhTm8
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: BTAxis

Unfortunately, the errors persist even though I copied over the stock families. It can take a while for the errors to start though - the first one in my current game showed up in 2107.
Unfortunately, from my experience, adding these images won't help saved games. You might want to start a new game (without losing your existing one) to test it out. If the errors are gone in the new one then it will probably be worth starting fresh.
In other news, I added bomber bays to this mod to take advantage of the bomber bay functionality of Bacon Mod. I followed Bacon World's example and tripled bomber damage, I'm not sure how that plays with the balance in Starfall.
Terraforming facility also updated.

Files here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwFEp ... 2Z2SVZhTm8

Thanks for the files. That will help people who aren't good at merging things.

BTAxis

Post by BTAxis »

ORIGINAL: RogerBacon
Unfortunately, from my experience, adding these images won't help saved games. You might want to start a new game (without losing your existing one) to test it out. If the errors are gone in the new one then it will probably be worth starting fresh.

That's what I did, due to the bomber bay edits. That doesn't work on existing saves either (the bays show up but trying to add them causes issues). So this behavior exhibits on a new game too.
Beyondfubar

Post by Beyondfubar »

Sat down to merge these today after getting wrecked by bombers during a early capital on carrier skirmish. Loved it, but decided it was time to adjust my stuff again.

Thanks a million BTAxis!
Janus99

Post by Janus99 »

Did anyone ever get this working with the Bacon mod? I keep getting the missing image pop-ups. Even after copying all the ship stock images into the mod folder. And on a fresh game after launching the exe. You only need to wait until you start meeting other races for the errors to show up.

What I don't understand is why would the Bacon mod make any difference? It plays nice with any other mod but this.

I have just played the mod for a couple of hours without bacon and it worked fine.

EDIT: Started yet another game and I think I've found the problem. In this run I disabled pirates altogether and after 20 ingame years I've yet to encounter an error.
logopatico

Post by logopatico »

[X(]
moonraker65

Post by moonraker65 »

Would there be any way of adding the races and tech tree from Starfall and using them in Bacon Mod + UE Retreat + Das Chrome ?
Sabranan

Post by Sabranan »

Technically yeah moonraker65 it would but it would require manually going over it with a fine toothcomb to make sure the different parts of the mods merged properly. Probably not happening given the amount of overlap between these two.
moonraker65

Post by moonraker65 »

Ok thanks. Afraid I've never tinkered with editors and things and wouldn't really know where to start. The other thing of course is the new resources added in Starfall I would suspect. Also a small issue when using the Bacon Mod with Starfall is getting errors if you include pirates for some reason.
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

Adding races should be easy(er). If I remember correctly, make sure they have unique ID numbers and there is a cap on shipsets (45?) so you'll have to recycle. Last time I played might have been 2017 so I'm probably totally wrong.
SirHoraceHarkness

Post by SirHoraceHarkness »

ORIGINAL: Retreat1970

Adding races should be easy(er). If I remember correctly, make sure they have unique ID numbers and there is a cap on shipsets (45?) so you'll have to recycle. Last time I played might have been 2017 so I'm probably totally wrong.

Heh, I'm still playing it regularly with various mods because its a great idle game to play as you catch up on podcasts and such.
Intel i5 10600k oc@5.2 - 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 DDR4 CL16 - EVGA RTX 3080 12gb FTW3 - MSI Z490 A-PRO Mobo

Return to “Design and Modding”