Turn Sequence

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
Lobster

RE: Turn Sequence

Post by Lobster »

I grab the slider and move it to places where information seems to be given. I even do that with a five minute video. I have better things to do than listen to useless drivel even for ten seconds.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
Bamilus

Post by Bamilus »

ORIGINAL: Lobster

I grab the slider and move it to places where information seems to be given. I even do that with a five minute video. I have better things to do than listen to useless drivel even for ten seconds.

You have to, plus you quickly learn how bad a lot of these guys are at playing games. I really use the videos just to get an idea of the game but very few people that post wargame YouTube videos actually know what they're doing. Watching them for a long time or trying to emulate what they do is bad for your health!
Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee
Shadrach

Post by Shadrach »

South Park nailed the whole "watching other people play games" phenomenon 5 years ago, after it really took off with that horrible Swede [:D]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rOFw_3t8t0

Also I think we scared JTFox001 off with our ranting [:(]
OUW (Order of the Upgrade Wars)
There are folks out there with way too much time on their hands.
- Norm Koger
JTFox001

Post by JTFox001 »

Na, it's OK.

Been following the links and doing my own searches.

Found some tutorials called "Tutorial 41, 42, 43" etc.

Cheers JTF.
There is only one principle of war and that's this.

Hit the other fellow, as quickly as you can, as hard as you can, where it hurts him most, when he ain't lookin'.

William Slim
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

ORIGINAL: JTFox001

Na, it's OK.

Been following the links and doing my own searches.

Found some tutorials called "Tutorial 41, 42, 43" etc.

Cheers JTF.

There actually are tutorials that come with the game. In the Tutorial folder...of course. They all have docs to help you along.[;)]

Attachments
ScreenHunt..0121.50.jpg
ScreenHunt..0121.50.jpg (225.67 KiB) Viewed 10 times
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
cathar1244

Post by cathar1244 »

I tried to keep mine at 10 minutes or less. It's difficult at times and one of them went to like 16 minutes, I think. It's too long to ask people to watch.

I'm impressed that you went to the effort to make the videos. That is real dedication to "the community". I am also impressed by Klink's creativity in his presentations.

Wargaming can be dry as dirt; I know because I root around in its driest parts, the underlying data. You fellows give it color and make it interesting. Well done.

Cheers
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

impressed that you went to the effort
To be honest, I was tired of answering the same forum questions over and over, so I thought of putting together a page of links to video's [because everything is on YouTube], but I was surprised that there were no videos [this was a couple years ago, now there are so many it is difficult to pick what to watch]. So because I am lazy, I made those videos, and they were a pain in the ass. I used free software with no editor, so they had to be done in one cut. No coughing, no doorbells, no dog barking, and no 'um's' !!
JTFox001

Post by JTFox001 »

Found this posted by "elxaime"

STANDARD APPROACH TO A TURN

1. Move units not intended to be in combat (rear area, recon that won't be attacking)

2. Move units intended for attacks into contact; try not to exceed more than 1/3 of their movement to get into contact

3. For units that have not moved which are capable of land bombardment, naval bombardment, air missions - execute those as they are unlikely to use up more than 1/3 of the time stamp; do not use assets that needed to move a significant distance to get into range/rebase as these may use up more time; save these for the second wave attacks

4. Plan and execute first wave of attacks from units you moved to contact in #2

5. Based on the time stamp after the first wave of attacks have run, you should be able to repeat the process to use up the remaining time for exploitation movement/attacks; during these "second wave" movement attacks you can use bombardment/airstrike assets from units that moved in #1, but were held back so as to leave the timestamp as low as possible at the start of #5

I think it's a good starter for 10.

Cheers JTF

Hit the other fellow, as quickly as you can, as hard as you can, where it hurts him most, when he ain't lookin'.

William Slim
Bamilus

Post by Bamilus »

tm.asp?m=4629239

Larry answered my question about a good turn sequence in this thread - recommend it!
Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee
JTFox001

Post by JTFox001 »

Thanks for the link. Some good reading.

Here's my updated thinking.

Turn Sequence.

1. Scenario Admin, Unit Assessment & Objectives Review.

2. Air Unit Tasking.

3. Bombardment/Air Strikes, Initial Moves (1/3 Movement).

4. Ground Assault, Secondary Movement (1/3 Movement)

5. Follow Up Assault, Final Movement (1/3 Movement).

Cycle through 3, 4 & 5 if you have any combat rounds left.

I’ll look to add more detail going forward.

Cheers.

William Slim
ruppert29

Post by ruppert29 »

Thank you Lobster. I wouldn't have known there was tutorial docs if not for your post. The manual mentions the word tutorial once, the readme not at all, the search engine for Matrix forums consistently say they can't find the term tutorial (or almost every other word i try to find in their games i am looking for), no wonder some people shy away from wargames like this.
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: ruppert29

Thank you Lobster. I wouldn't have known there was tutorial docs if not for your post. The manual mentions the word tutorial once, the readme not at all, the search engine for Matrix forums consistently say they can't find the term tutorial (or almost every other word i try to find in their games i am looking for), no wonder some people shy away from wargames like this.
Did you look at the "What's New" document?
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Hellen_slith

Post by Hellen_slith »

Oberst_Klink had some really good tutorials, I thought.

Some of those can be found via this link:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4377809

He had a really good one for Kasserine Pass scene.

The manuals for Viet Nam Combat operations are really good, too.

Those scenes, I think, are really good for learning, too, but I found them to be a bit unwieldy as far as installing .... I'm still on the first volume, the manuals are very nicely done for that.

https://sites.google.com/site/vietnamcombatoperations/
ruppert29

Post by ruppert29 »

Thank you Curtis and Hellen for your extra information. It helps. But I can imagine more than one newbie to the game clicking on the Tutorial scenario and getting a year of the Korean War with no explanation, not what people are use to experiencing.
WG

Post by WG »

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay
Did you look at the "What's New" document?

I double-checked how hard it is to find the tutorial documents for a new player, and I noticed something strange. The documentation button in the Select New Game menu doesn't work on my system anymore and shows no file available for every scenario even though it has always worked fine before. Whatsnew 4.0.docx mentions the free Microsoft Word viewer to read the documentation, but that has been discontinued. I don't have Windows Office, but I have always used OpenOffice to view the scenario documentation, but now it doesn't work anymore from the Select New Game menu. I can go into the Scenarios directory to read them, so that isn't a problem for me, though I can see a beginner with the same problem not knowing where it was.
ruppert29

Post by ruppert29 »

Is there a way to bring this to the attention of the devs/company?
Shadrach

Post by Shadrach »

ORIGINAL: WG
I double-checked how hard it is to find the tutorial documents for a new player, and I noticed something strange. The documentation button in the Select New Game menu doesn't work on my system anymore and shows no file available for every scenario even though it has always worked fine before. Whatsnew 4.0.docx mentions the free Microsoft Word viewer to read the documentation, but that has been discontinued. I don't have Windows Office, but I have always used OpenOffice to view the scenario documentation, but now it doesn't work anymore from the Select New Game menu. I can go into the Scenarios directory to read them, so that isn't a problem for me, though I can see a beginner with the same problem not knowing where it was.

It's a known issue and hopefully we'll get a fix soon [;)]
fb.asp?m=4761244

Libre/Openoffice works fine to open the docs if they would show.
OUW (Order of the Upgrade Wars)
There are folks out there with way too much time on their hands.
- Norm Koger
cathar1244

Post by cathar1244 »

It's a known issue and hopefully we'll get a fix soon

Cool, another campaign star for the Order of the Upgrade Wars! [:)]

Cheers

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”