The Mystery of Dyatlov Pass

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Zovs

RE: The Mystery of Dyatlov Pass

Post by Zovs »

Interesting and very weird. My suspicions is still on the government.
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
TheGrayMouser

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Wow , so much sensationalistic stuff debunked by the original soviet investigation in 1959 is still being brought up as a “what about”

The injuries: the 4 that had broken bones fell down a ravine. ( not hard in hurricane force winds, dark mountain side)
Radiation on some of the bodies: in that era , gas lanterns often used thorium in the wicks...
Animal or tribal attacks: no tracks, plus forensics prove they exited their tent with knive slashes from the inside( no zippers, tent “ doors” secured by tying them closed). Nothing was stolen, the Mansi were peaceful people, no motive, no evidence.

We”ll never never know why they fled their tent in such haste, their belief that imminent death was approaching is the why, the what is the only real question.
sullafelix

Post by sullafelix »

As mentioned, the ravine fall was determined to give those who fell there injuries comparable to a good/bad car crash. The missing tongue and eyes, small animals snacking. I believe only one of the males clothes had higher than normal radiation levels, and where he worked in the school or job accounted for it.
Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
sullafelix

Post by sullafelix »

Also a lot has been made up about 'dead mountain' and it being some sort of sacred Mansi place. In their language it doesn't mean dead it means nothing lives there so don't bother going there. It makes sense seeing as the are hunters and trappers. It also is not a sacred place, they just don't bother with it. The part that doesn't ever show up is a possible fight over jealousy?, but why would everyone leave the tent. I think a plausible explanation is that they all drank or ate an indigenous hallucinogenic. Either on purpose or accidentally.
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Orm

Post by Orm »

How easy is it to determine if a tent is slashed open from the outside or the inside?
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

Whitey Bulger participated in these experiments, look what happened. By the way, curse of oak island needs some competition. Good theories from everyone
IslandInland

Post by IslandInland »

War In The East 2 Beta Tester
War In The West Operation Torch Beta Tester
Strategic Command American Civil War Beta Tester
XXXCorps
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: Orm
How easy is it to determine if a tent is slashed open from the outside or the inside?
I don't think it is very hard, at least for a thick canvas tent, as was the case here.
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

Explaining Dyatlov Pass is a litmus test for our personalities. [:D]
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Such an interesting mystery. Imagine the terror that these nine people experienced in the middle of a desolate Urals landscape that dreadful night in -40º temperatures and 60mph winds.

[Excerpts from the WIki article at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident ]

Each member of the group was an experienced Grade II-hiker with ski tour experience, and would be receiving Grade III certification upon their return. At the time, this was the highest certification available in the Soviet Union, and required candidates to traverse 300 kilometers (190 mi).

So they weren't beginner's making rookie mistakes. They knew what they were doing. Yet, they 'got lost' and veered west and camped in an area undesirable for camping, especially in the weather conditions. Did any of the diaries or letters that they left behind confirm that they had gotten lost? Or maybe they were in fact moving away from or around something. A guess that they got lost is just as good as a guess that they were being followed. It is actually a very compelling position, that rather than camp in an area safer from the weather such as the woods, that they would rather camp in the open because they were more afraid of something in the woods. [However, as a camper myself I might rather stay out of the woods during 60mph winds in order to avoid getting clobbered by falling trees].

At the time the verdict was that the group members had all died because of a compelling natural force. The inquest officially ceased in May 1959 as a result of the absence of a guilty party. The files were sent to a secret archive.

So really no explanation and the files were secreted away. There was an active military base nearby [see the 'Military tests' section of the Wiki article], so this seems the most probable cause of the incident. A tragic military accident similar to the one where people were killed by an EMP test because they accidentally helicoptered over the wrong area, or where a plane was shot down accidentally by the navy due to coordinate/altitude confusion. Wrong place, wrong time.

Eight or nine sets of footprints, left by people who were wearing only socks or a single shoe or were even barefoot, could be followed, leading down towards the edge of a nearby woods ... only the hikers' footprints were visible ... all the footprints leading away from the tent and towards the woods were consistent with individuals who were walking at a normal pace.

All of this indicates that the nine were by themselves and of NOT SOUND MIND. What could make NINE experienced people make irrational life threatening decisions all at the same time? [It was reported that the investigation found no drugs]. One thing I've never seen mentioned in any report or investigation of the site is any evidence of a defense. No mention of protective weapons carried by any of the group. This is curious because evidence of weapons and/or defense could give an indication of being afraid of something, or if there is no such evidence then the indication is in fact that all nine lost their senses at or around the same time.

As a camper myself I once signed up for a 'winter certification' camping trip. This was at an abandoned quarry area nick-named 'Moon Base' where the winter weather conditions were typically rough with temps in the 20's and up to 30mph winds. Not near as severe as what the Dyatlov party experienced, but it gave an idea of how things are in that type of situation. There were some issues and disagreements, but nobody ended up outside at 3 in morning in their underwear. That is why I said at the top here, that I can't imagine the terror experienced that night.

Attachments
Dyatlov2.jpg
Dyatlov2.jpg (77.27 KiB) Viewed 16 times
sullafelix

Post by sullafelix »

Why they camped where they did has always puzzled me. If it was me I would have camped at the treeline to lessen the winds. Why they camped on a small hillock completely exposed to everything never made any sense. They were experienced campers, sometimes that is forgotten.
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I agree. The explanations I have seen are that they didn't want to backtrack and lose ground already gained, and they also knew that it was possible to spend the night in the area they choose, even if it wasn't an optimal location. If this video is to be believed, these reasons don't seem irrational.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY7oDKLJ4JE

I will also mention again that there is reason to believe that they were staying away from the woods on that last day. Even that night when things went wrong, they all retreated to the other side of the pass, away from where they had come from and where they had left supplies. Some of the last photos they took were of the woods they had just passed thru. These were out of character with all the other photos which were of the people or camps. I find these last photos to be creepy, as if they are saying 'what is back there, is something following us?'.

Here is an example. Their tracks can be seen on the left, so at this point in the trip they are looking back and taking pictures, whereas earlier they hadn't done this.

Attachments
Krivonisch..ilm1-13a.jpg
Krivonisch..ilm1-13a.jpg (163.26 KiB) Viewed 17 times
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

Interesting, but inconclusive. [8|]

Have we extracted everything from Dyatlov Pass? Are we ready to move on?

Attachments
MaryCeleste.jpg
MaryCeleste.jpg (52.61 KiB) Viewed 16 times
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Ok, it seems the only weapons they had were knives, all of which were found in the tent. A lot more to discuss but I got sidetracked by wondering how often whole groups of people die in something other than a fatal event, like an explosion or train crash, etc. Two very similar to the Dyatlov Incident:
Chivruay Pass incident in 1973
Mt Tritrans incident in 1993

Mt Tritrans, in Russia near Mongolia:

Attachments
HamarDaba..up031a.jpg
HamarDaba..up031a.jpg (140.88 KiB) Viewed 16 times
sullafelix

Post by sullafelix »

I think the Mary Celeste is relatively easy to explain. I have seen pirates along with the crew itself or the ship that found her lying and they were pirates. I think in this case you follow the money. They never had any barrels that were leaking alcohol which is one of the favorite theories. As I said, to me follow the prize money.
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

Ok, it seems the only weapons they had were knives, all of which were found in the tent. A lot more to discuss but I got sidetracked by wondering how often whole groups of people die in something other than a fatal event, like an explosion or train crash, etc. Two very similar to the Dyatlov Incident:
Chivruay Pass incident in 1973
Mt Tritrans incident in 1993

Mt Tritrans, in Russia near Mongolia:

Thanks for making me aware of these 2 incidents.
People do sometimes act irrationally under extreme conditions, even experienced ones.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

UPDATE !

Results of the reopened investigation into the infamous Dyatlov Pass incident [started in February of 2019]:

https://dyatlovpass.com/procecutors-inv ... rbid=18461

Russian officials have announced that their reopened investigation into the infamous Dyatlov Pass incident determined that an avalanche and subsequent hypothermia were to blame for the tragic event.

I say BOO-HISS! We already knew all of this hokum. But if that is what they say, what can we do? It irritates me that they reopen the investigation but only to prove the most pedestrian excuse. They ignore all of the interesting possibilities. But of course, due to the lack of evidence there never will be an acceptable answer. So it remains to me one of the many interesting things to ponder.
James Taylor

Post by James Taylor »

The usual human MO, bad decision making!
SeaMonkey
t001001001

Post by t001001001 »

DM had a article about this a couple days ago claiming the mystery is now solved: They died of hypothermia. Any more questions? [8D]
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

It was warm so the top layer of snow melted somewhat, then it became very cold so the snow froze hard. Then the wind was blowing fresh snow on top of that, piling it up on the leeward side of the peak. That is the recipe for avalanche. Now, camp underneath the snow that piled up. Have fun . . .
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Return to “General Discussion”