The The Hackley Head Fish War, 2020 -- new beta for testing

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Mgellis

The The Hackley Head Fish War, 2020 -- new beta for testing

Post by Mgellis »

Happy New Year!

My newest scenario...

This is something of an experiment, a deliberate attempt to model a low intensity conflict. UK vs. Sweden in the North Sea. A lot of watching and waiting and decision making...some combat, but not a huge amount.

As always, please let me know what you think. Suggestions, etc. on ways to make it a better scenario, how gameplay works, if the Events function properly, if the Orders, etc. seem realistic, if the scenario is challenging but not too hard or too easy, etc. are all welcome. Thanks!

Attachments
TheHackle..ar2022.zip
(90.99 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
HalfLifeExpert

RE: The The Hackley Head Fish War, 2020 -- new beta for testing

Post by HalfLifeExpert »

I like it, especially the overall setting and premise, but i've got a few critiques.

1) While I understand the intention to make it a 'low intensity' scenario, I feel HMS Dragon is a bit too far away at the start, despite being the Flagship. Perhaps a better starting location would be somewhere in the vicinity of Scapa Flow, or perhaps steaming northward from Southeastern England.

2) Since the stated mission for the player is to effectively police the fishing zone east of Scotland, the player should be provided with a clear designation of what the boundaries of that zone is, ether with Map coordinates to use with that map layer, or with a handful of locked reference points. This should be provided because it would naturally be up to the politicians to decide this zone, not the operational commander.

3) When I found the my first Swedish Fishing Boat, I waited for it to enter what I believed was roughly 100nm from the Scottish Coast, as ordered, and then fired a few salvos from HMS Tyne at the trawler, causing what I believed was light damage, as per the briefing, based on the BDA (Yellow status bar). I then continued to follow the ship, hoping it would turn back. While in pursuit the Tyne was hit and sunk by Paveways from a nearby Grippen, though the special message popup stated that the patrol vessel was hit by missiles from the Swedish Corvette.

In my first attempted attack on the Corvette, she was in the vicinity of the trawler I had already engaged. I fired all 6 Brimstones on it, but they all locked onto and sank the damaged trawler. When the first missile hit, I had apparently crossed the damage threshold for the trawler to turn back. I don't have a problem with this, due to the nature of my weapons, but I should have received a penalty for actually sinking the trawler, since I was ordered not to.

So I think some work needs to be done on events and scoring, I think more than two hits by small arms should be enough to turn back a trawler. I scored two 20mm hits and several 7.62mm hits earlier with the Tyne, then held my fire.

Overall I really like this scenario though, and I would actually like to see a continuation of this standoff, perhaps a pitched battle between Swedish naval and air forces against a RN QE Carrier group west of the Jutland Penninsula
Mgellis

RE: The The Hackley Head Fish War, 2020 -- new beta for testing

Post by Mgellis »

Made a few tweaks based on HalfLifeExpert's comments. (It is set up so you lose points for sinking the fishing boats. Are the Events working properly?)

I also see I accidentally posted this in the wrong part of the forums. Sorry! I'll post the new version in the appropriate sub-forum.

Thanks.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”