Barbarossa at 2.5km

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
Aetius_Varras

RE: Barbarossa at 2.5km

Post by Aetius_Varras »

I believe this must be the same ‘Operation Barbarossa, the Complete Organisational and Statistical Analysis, and Military Simulation’ map that I've been following for a few years now and thought would never be finished. Congratulations on this Herculean task! Are you going to be sharing this with us? Or at least let us have a look at it in full-scale. Things like this are what dreams are made of!
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

Probably just make it publicly available.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

Finally have all of the Soviet starting units for all Military Districts done including the Internal MDs. After getting some updated information it's time to do the reinforcements. Bunches and bunches and bunches of reinforcements.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Dragnaath

Post by Dragnaath »

Can't wait.

Kudos to you sir Lobster
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

This sounds like it may well be the Project of the Year. I'm surely impressed. Godspeed Jack.
What would be the ideal name of a weapon if a soldier goes to war with the arms of a T-Rex?
It would probably be small arms.
StuccoFresco

Post by StuccoFresco »

Oh god this is madness.

Awesome, historically-accurate madness.
Aetius_Varras

Post by Aetius_Varras »

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

This sounds like it may well be the Project of the Year. I'm surely impressed. Godspeed Jack.

More like project of the Century! The entire Eastern Front at battalion and company scale.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Where are you on this project Jack, my friend? Do you need some help with anything? I'm available if I can help in any way.
What would be the ideal name of a weapon if a soldier goes to war with the arms of a T-Rex?
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

I'm going through the reinforcements. There are boatloads of them. Have the Rifle Divisions, Militia Divisions and Tank Divisions done. Still have every type of reinforcement brigade, battalion, regiment, headquarters and my old mammy's cook left to do. I have lots of time to finish. I'm not scheduled to drop dead for another six years. [:D]

And then there's the new stuff that Bob is working on that I'll need to pry into this somehow. He's already mentioned hierarchy and leaders. Then there's the ███████████ and the ██████ ██████████ and let's not forget █████████████████. It's all going to take some time.

Since I have so much time on my hands I'll just keep going it on my own but thanks for the offer. [;)]

76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: Lobster
He's already mentioned hierarchy and leaders.
I must have missed that...what did he say exactly?
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

I have all the published volumes of Mr Nigel Askey so far. I like a lot the first volume and the model it is introducing. This is an excellent complement of Trevor N. Dupuy's QJM method.
I am looking forward to his conclusion in volume VI and maybe an evaluation of how TOAW is doing.

Great work Lobster. [:)]
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

How close are you to a public release?
BigDuke66

Post by BigDuke66 »

I bet closer then the next TOAW patch.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

How close are you to a public release?

The new hierarchy function that Bob is working on is going to introduce a huge change. So now I don't know...

pz501

Post by pz501 »

While I support the effort to introduce hierarchy, as I said in another thread, I'd really like to see and know that fixing identified bugs has first priority.

I can also appreciate slowing down or even stopping work on a 2.5 km Barbarossa. Really no sense in driving on if the future of the game system is cloudy. No one really knows what's going on anymore, and a patch (if one ever appears) that contains new features could make a lot of hard and tedious work virtually obsolete.

The 2.5 km map you've done and the work on an OOB is something to be respected. The amount of research and time involved has to be huge. If a completed scenario never comes to be, it certainly won't be because of lack of effort or interest on your part. That's something you can always take some pride in.

This reminds me just a little of the situation a few months ago where someone was redoing and expanding one of the "Next War" 1979 scenarios. Seems like that one had to be abandoned because of editor and game crash problems that are yet to be resolved. A lot of good ideas from very talented and dedicated people might never see the light of day if Matrix doesn't get it together.
"And I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow." Oberfeldwebel Rolf Steiner, The Cross of Iron
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

Please do not make this thread another TOAW bashing. I thank you.

pz501

Post by pz501 »

TOAW bash? I wasn't trying to. I am guilty of forgetting that you are a member of that small elite that got TOAW to where it is today. Commoners like me should really just accept our place, so I'm sorry for intruding into your exclusive area. It won't happen again. You have my word.
"And I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow." Oberfeldwebel Rolf Steiner, The Cross of Iron
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I am guilty of forgetting that you are a member of that small elite that got TOAW to where it is today.
Actually, Jack is in his own club, all by himself. Only he knows how to design scenarios [although he never has] and no one can be negative of TOAW [although he often is the most negative]. He's a real gem!
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

ORIGINAL: pz501

Really no sense in driving on if the future of the game system is cloudy. No one really knows what's going on anymore, and a patch (if one ever appears) that contains new features could make a lot of hard and tedious work virtually obsolete.

Bashing. But thank you for your understanding. [8|]

mdanz

Post by mdanz »

I felt bad about that one.

I agree that there's been a quite a bit of anger about poor communication from Matrix. It sounds like its become bashing to me as well.
A bit.

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”