The 1001 Carrier Deployment Question / 10th anniversary edition

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Barb

RE: The 1001 Carrier Deployment Question / 10th anniversary edition

Post by Barb »

Well, USS Biggus Dickus, USS Deadly Dirk, USS Nissus Wettus, ... would be funny to see in a combat report :D
fcooke

Post by fcooke »

Thanks for that Ian - where does the 25 knots come from? I know she had less SHP than Wasp but she also displaced less. And the pitching comment is interesting. If it was a problem for her what about the poor CVEs? But I guess the fact that the USN borrowed one of the RN's CVs (was it Formidable?), going through the pain of 'Americanizing her, with her very small airgroup, instead of using Ranger sort of says it all.
Gridley380

Post by Gridley380 »

ORIGINAL: fcooke

Thanks for that Ian - where does the 25 knots come from? I know she had less SHP than Wasp but she also displaced less. And the pitching comment is interesting. If it was a problem for her what about the poor CVEs? But I guess the fact that the USN borrowed one of the RN's CVs (was it Formidable?), going through the pain of 'Americanizing her, with her very small airgroup, instead of using Ranger sort of says it all.

Can't answer the 25kt part (all the sources I've seen say ~28kts), but the amount a ship pitches and rolls is not just a function of her displacement. Length to beam ratio, metacentric height, details of the hull shape, and probably other factors (my dad was the naval architect, not me) play a part.
Ian R

Post by Ian R »

ORIGINAL: fcooke

There were some proceedings in or about 1939 - at the time the designs for the various Vinson Acts that became the mass produced Essex/Baltimore/Cleveland were being developed and standardized - the skipper of the Ranger actually gave sworn testimony, as I understand it. Not sure if it was a Senate appropriations hearing, but could be.

The "USS Robin" was the HMS Victorious, taken in hand, and it is fair to say improved in operational capability with heavier arrester gear and the like, by the USN and spent 6 months in the Solomon's to fill the gap (in about May- November 1943).

The USN (& accordingly, RN) CVEs were built on something approximating a tanker hull, which apparently is quite a stable platform.
"I am Alfred"
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: dcpollay

When I play Rule the Waves, I use the "Pathogen" class DDs. Ebola, Malaria, Salmonella, etc.

That's awesome. [8D]
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

When I play Rule the Waves, I use the "Pathogen" class DDs. Ebola, Malaria, Salmonella, etc.

That's awesome. [8D]

Figures you would think that.[8|]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: rustysi

That's awesome. [8D]

Figures you would think that.[8|]
CB is a very sophisticated virus...it only attacks threads that have shown higher intelligence.
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's awesome.

Figures you would think that.

CB is a very sophisticated virus...it only attacks threads that have shown higher intelligence.

How would he know which threads have higher intelligence?

Oh wait, that is probably most of them . . .
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe
quote:

quote:

quote:

That's awesome.

Figures you would think that.

How would he know which threads have higher intelligence?

Oh wait, that is probably most of them . . .
The virus control program is user 'Marylee96'. It is a super-intelligent bot from Planet 9 (10 if you count Pluto).
jagsdomain

Post by jagsdomain »

Essex was built in Salem Mass. She sailed into the Pacific and destroyed the British whaling fleet. Honet and wast were small schooners about 8 to 12 guns I believe.
jagsdomain

Post by jagsdomain »

Ok have to ask why you leaving out the USS Constitution?
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

The USS Constitution is still an active ship on the US Navy register of ships.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Admiral DadMan

Post by Admiral DadMan »

I seem to remember reading somewhere that when the Lexington class battle cruisers were being considered that there was a movement to rename USS Constitution to "USS Old Ironsides"
Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Admiral DadMan

I seem to remember reading somewhere that when the Lexington class battle cruisers were being considered that there was a movement to rename USS Constitution to "USS Old Ironsides"
Nah! Can't change the name of such a historic vessel! Just name the new Battle Cruiser something really similar, like USS Constipation. [:'(]
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Malor

Post by Malor »

For me there is enough history in the game already. A little fun with names makes me pay attention more to see what happens.

So renames occur in order,
- After carriers lost in the game, I.E. Yorktown II.
- My full name and initials. I like to see that in game messages, etc.
- After Battle Star Galactica Battlestars: I.E. Galactica, Pegasus, etc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlestar_(fictional_spacecraft)

At some point in '44, I'll have a carrier, cruiser and destroyer with my name all in the same TF. [;)]
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

ORIGINAL: Admiral DadMan

Nah! Can't change the name of such a historic vessel! Just name the new Battle Cruiser something really similar, like USS Constipation. [:'(]
Whoa there! That's a different thread.
fcooke

Post by fcooke »

After WW1 the USS Constitution was renamed IX something or other to free up the name for one of the Lex class Battle cruisers. Didn't make it and old Ironsides floats with us today - probably in better shape than she has been in for over 100 years.
Admiral DadMan

Post by Admiral DadMan »

After further research, I found this from Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Navy Department, Naval History and Heritage Command:

"On 1 December 1917, she was renamed Old Constitution to free her name for a planned, new Lexington-class battlecruiser. The name Constitution was originally destined for the lead ship of the class, but it got shuffled around between hulls until CC-5 was given the name; construction of CC-5 was canceled in 1923 due to the Washington Naval Treaty. The incomplete hull was sold for scrap, and Old Constitution was granted the return of her name on 24 July 1925."
Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”