Fun with Editor and graphics

Uxbridge

Fun with Editor and graphics

Post by Uxbridge »

I have been playing SC since Christmas and, despite some issues I have with it, enjoys it a lot. One of the great things is the possibility to mod things, which, I think, is half of the fun. Some days ago I was speculating about some changes to the German production capacity, when suddenly some other ideas struck. Voila – I now have SS-units, Luftwaffe ground units and late-war Hitlerjugend units.

Also, I have long been a bit annoyed by the fact that an air units expends it's action point when doing recon. Now I have an aircraft category that is there only for recon; cheap and without power to attack anything. This will make the intelligence side of the game more interesting.

Attachments
Units.jpg
Units.jpg (186.19 KiB) Viewed 206 times
Uxbridge

RE: Fun with Editor

Post by Uxbridge »

Regarding my recon units above, I'm suddenly a bit uncertain when it comes to attack and defend values. Basically I want these units to be unable to do any damage to an enemy unit, so I put the attack value at "0". Is this correct?

But I have assumed that the defence value is the units "armour", so to speak. And that high defence values can't do any harm to enemy units, only protect from opposing fire. Is this also cprrect? Or is the defence value the defending unit firing back if under attack?

All in all, I like the recon units to be harmless to the enemy, but also difficult to shoot down.
BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

Hi

The defensive unit is the value used in determining how it fares when attacked during a mission, and this does result in damage to the attacker.

I probably wouldn't set it to zero, but a fairly low figure should give reasonable results. After all, they would have had machine guns to defend themselves with.
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

Thanks. Well, low it is, then.

Wonder what I shall do next? Hmm ... flying submarine? [8D]
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

British Guard and Highland units.

Attachments
UKprod.jpg
UKprod.jpg (181.06 KiB) Viewed 188 times
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

Italian Blackshirt and Alpini units.

Attachments
Blackshirt.jpg
Blackshirt.jpg (63.72 KiB) Viewed 190 times
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

And a little variety to the Chinese front. Japanese armies in three different flavors and Chinese militia units with limited attack capabilities.

Attachments
China.jpg
China.jpg (198.22 KiB) Viewed 187 times
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

Some water has passed under the bridges since I posted here last time. I finally decided to make my own markers contrary to trying to alter other people's creations.

The first reason for this was that I constantly degraded the quality of the used markers by adding things to them, saving again and again. Now I have a standard set for each country to work with, each saving giving a brand new png-file.

The second reason was that I wanted to give the markers the look that suited my own preference for thinking; i.e. crammed with colour codes. I'm very graphically oriented, and can rapidly deduct loads of information from the colours and shapes my eyes feed to the brain. That sounds amazing, of course, but there's a downside to it – when looking at plain one-coloured markers with text and numbers on them, it takes me a long scrutiny before I start to see anything else than just random text and numbers. So I wanted the game to have the said visibility for me.

Oh, yes ... there's a third reason too. It's funny to do it!

So for some days to come I will plague you with the images of the scenario I'm fiddling with, including an eldorado of colours and some novelties. Stay tuned.
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

First pic of the new counters; situation: 1943 scenario, cross-channel view.

A lot of the different game units can be seen here. The band around the unit's waists are the level of upgrade, ranging: white, red, blue, yellow, green and violet, for 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 respectively.

Note the Ultra/SOE unit, PRU reconnaissance unit, Scottish and Guard british Corps, Luftwaffe unit (Carentan) and the SS-panzer and SS-infantry units, none of which are in the vanilla game.

Attachments
Waiting.jpg
Waiting.jpg (195.28 KiB) Viewed 187 times
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

And one screenie from the Pacific. Note the Kamikaze unit on Bougainville, and that the Australian commando unit hasen't gotten it's facelift yet.

Attachments
Pacific.jpg
Pacific.jpg (189.39 KiB) Viewed 187 times
PeekingDuck2

Post by PeekingDuck2 »

Hi Uxbridge,

Love your work here. Is there any chance you might share it with the community? Would love to use your counters particularly.

Cheers,
Peeking
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

The markers are made specifically for the scenario I'm playing and I'm still in the process of making them. But, of course, even if I don't put them up as an official mod, I could somehow share them with you. No problem. There might be some peculiarities when using them in the vanilla, but that's just a guess, I can't see any problem this far.
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

Just had some air combat over the channel as the Bomber Command started their offensive.

Attachments
Channelfigth.jpg
Channelfigth.jpg (194.68 KiB) Viewed 189 times
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

And Barbarossa is now in full swing.

Attachments
Barbarossa.jpg
Barbarossa.jpg (170.18 KiB) Viewed 188 times
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

Part of Royal Navy, having the distinct look of paper counters on a boardgame map, heading towards the Med to the dispatch of Regia Marina.

Attachments
IntotheMed.jpg
IntotheMed.jpg (108.4 KiB) Viewed 187 times
PeekingDuck2

Post by PeekingDuck2 »

OK, now you're just torturing me [:D] Please, if possible, can you put them up on Dropbox or Google Drive? I can sort out importing from there.

Cheers,
Peek

PS - What map is that you're using? Best one I've seen.
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

I'm still fiddling with the markers, looking at Italy and France now. Once I'm reasonably finished (I will continously update them), I will send you the whole scenario. You can then either use the lot, or take the markers or map out of it.

Frankly, I'm not really sure what map I have. I downloaded several mods last year. But I always had problems seeing mountain ranges and roads, so I decided to try some modding myself. This map is the result.
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

I think my first set of counters are now ready, save, of course, for the inevitable discovery of something done wrong. But now I can easily rectify such occurences with a few clicks in Illustrator.

Here is Germany, poised for the attack on Poland. The Poles, not going to attend to the ball for any longer duration, is not as fancy dressed as uncle Adolph's boys.

Attachments
A4.jpg
A4.jpg (197.33 KiB) Viewed 187 times
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

In the South, Benito is pointing his sword at the path of glory, although his forces are not being as prepared as those of his German counterpart.

Attachments
A2.jpg
A2.jpg (198.38 KiB) Viewed 187 times
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

Reluctantly drawn into a war she never begged for, France is about to be attacked from the North as well as from the South.

Attachments
A3.jpg
A3.jpg (195.56 KiB) Viewed 187 times

Return to “MODS and Scenarios”