Which wargame has done it best?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

MrsWargamer

Which wargame has done it best?

Post by MrsWargamer »

Ohhhh this should be fun.

Yes, I'm actually expecting wargamer drama here I suppose.

I'm restricting this to digital. There's just way toooo many board games a lot of us might have never had to chance to see or even hear of.

In my opinion, I think I'm going to be fielding the opinion, that Advanced Tactics or The Operational Art of War deserves the crown of best overall, all in one package can provide a wargamer with more total all-encompassing, can simulate anything better than any other product satisfaction.

Yes, we have the greats out there, that are clearly incredible, but they are either massive undertakings of time, or they are setting specifically limited, of they are too tactical, or to strategy end of the spectrum.

I've always said, if you have TOAW, you own what we seem like most of the board games of the 70s and 80s in one box.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
Lobster

RE: Which wargame has done it best?

Post by Lobster »

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
rico21

Post by rico21 »

Advanced tactics is the best dramagame[:D] of the world because you can add what you want in your composition of division.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

ARNHEM: THE 'MARKET GARDEN' OPERATION DOS - 1988

for me[;)]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22000) (22000.co_release.210604-1628)
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

The original Steel Panthers got the digital ball rolling for me. Before that it was all analog. Still have the disk. I should bronze it. Easy to play. Hard to master. Loads of replay time. And omg the drama. I still recall Veber going off about how an 88 can't possibly be an effective AT gun because it was an AA gun. For months! [:D]
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

You need to take the best of the boardgames that you liked and put them into a computer game. What else good are computers other than to save space and take on some of the calculations/resolutions and dice rolling? But for some reason the good to great games of the past aren't so much getting this treatment, rather we are getting tons of flimsy/buggy/overthought games. Plenty can post here offering up compromises, but thirty years on and there is no game that can do it right. It's pathetic I tell you, and I'm fed up with it, and I'm prepared to do something about it ... join with me!
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

5th Fleet (PC/Avalon Hill)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhHzkL7rU9c

[;)]
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I'm on the march!
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

One of the Steel Panthers games. I leave arguing about SPWAW and WinSPWW2 to others.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

V for Victory series [&o]
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

Plenty can post here offering up compromises, but thirty years on and there is no game that can do it right. It's pathetic I tell you, and I'm fed up with it, and I'm prepared to do something about it ... join with me!

Ah you too you are designing your own computer wargame? [;)]
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
balto

Post by balto »

Impossible question to answer, but the reference to Advanced Tactics is probably mine. Check out the god of wargaming's progress on his new game: https://www.vrdesigns.net/. My only concern is that it does not appear to be using the combat system of AT or Decisive Campaigns.,, but it is Vic so you know it will be great.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

You need to take the best of the boardgames that you liked and put them into a computer game. What else good are computers other than to save space and take on some of the calculations/resolutions and dice rolling? But for some reason the good to great games of the past aren't so much getting this treatment, rather we are getting tons of flimsy/buggy/overthought games. Plenty can post here offering up compromises, but thirty years on and there is no game that can do it right. It's pathetic I tell you, and I'm fed up with it

This +1000
JReb

Post by JReb »

Age of Rifles for 19th century

Campaign Series should be included for WW2 tactical. Can't go wrong with TOAW or SP for older games though.

For newer games Advanced Tactics, Flashpoint Campaigns or Field of Glory 2.
My shrink says I have anger management and conflict resolution issues....and I'LL FIGHT ANYBODY THAT DISAGREES!
tdavie

Post by tdavie »

Mrs Wargamer; no drama here - just curiosity. What do you mean by the word best?

Tom
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

Steel Panthers WW2/MBT
TOAW
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
rwenstrup

Post by rwenstrup »

Steel Panthers
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Return to “General Discussion”