[FIXED] Trigger Definitions

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

kevinkins

[FIXED] Trigger Definitions

Post by kevinkins »

Trouble with a scoring event. Trying to set up a unit damaged trigger for it.

Target side: India
Target type: Land facility
Target subtype: Building Reveted
Target class: SAM Bn (SA-3b Goa)
Specific unit: none (there are many on the map)

The above definition will not fire. If I remove Target Class it will not fire when the condition is met. If I then remove Building Reveted leaving only Land facility, it will fire. But it fires for any Land facility, like my oil wells messing up the overall score. Never had an issue with scoring events before. I would send a save, but maybe I am missing something obvious before that. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
michaelm75au

RE: Trigger Definitions

Post by michaelm75au »

Save or example scen?
Michael
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

Hi ... I will send the file tonight. In the meantime, I will see if I can figure it out and if others have any ideas, I will try them out. Thanks.

Kevin
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

Here is the file.

This is only 10% completed and a work in progress. The trigger in question is “PAK Scores SAM”. Take a look at the action down by Karachi and to the NW as SSMs rain down on several SAMs. Please see if you can filter down lower than “Land facility” and get the trigger to fire. Thanks. The SSMs fire immediately for testing purposes.

Kevin

Attachments
PAKAttackA1.zip
(62.17 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Alfred Thayer Mahan
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

I'm having trouble getting it to fire even for 'land facility'. I'll delve deeper but it might be code related.

The filter on the target values does work, but there seems to be some issue around the components being damaged/destroyed which is not making the base unit trigger the event.
Michael
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

Logged issue
Michael
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

Thanks. Nice to know I am not going crazy. I consistently get it to fire when only 'land facility' is selected. So your finding is surprising. If you need any testing from me, just let me know. I can try other countries other SSMs and SAMs if you would like to see if this relates to my specific choices. Anyway, I can design other parts of the scenario in the meantime. Thanks.

Edit: I forgot to mention that it appears the the "event shown in log" is delayed even when it's fired. Although I have not looked at that in detail. Maybe you are missing it when only 'land facility' is selected. Just a thought.

Kevin
Alfred Thayer Mahan
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

In the latest new build 1009.31.1 notes I noticed this:

"FIXED: Damaged trigger firing twice in some cases"

Is this related to the logged issue above, or separate?

Kevin
Alfred Thayer Mahan
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

The problem I found with the above was that the facility components were being 'damaged' without actually causing 'damage' to the base; so the trigger never fired as it is based on the 'base'.[:D]
Michael
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

Sounds like the issue was resolved. Thanks. I will check it out.

Kevin
Alfred Thayer Mahan
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

I am finding this is happening again with the IDF destroying a Syrian truck. The trigger only fires when just "Land facility" is selected. Anything below that, and the trigger will not fire. I attached the very beginnings of a scenario idea. There is a Syrian truck on auto detect all alone down by by Israel for testing. You can take a F35 from Nevatim with Spice and quickly destroy it. I set the trigger below the "Land facility" level as an example. It's strange that no one else is reporting this behavior other than me. Although michaelm75au confirmed it back in May on a very specific example we discussed in this thread. But now I am posting another example. From May till now, I was away from Command. So the last two times I tried to design something, the issue cropped up.

Kevin

PS: See the small thread above.

New build 1009.31.1 notes: "FIXED: Damaged trigger firing twice in some cases"

But this is not the issue we are seeing.

michaelm75au: "I'm having trouble getting it to fire even for 'land facility'. I'll delve deeper but it might be code related."

So it does not appear to be a quirk of my system.

Thanks for your attention to this and if you need further testing let me know.
Attachments
TriggerIssue.zip
(466.08 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Alfred Thayer Mahan
Whicker

Post by Whicker »

I think the problem is you are completely destroying it - not damaging it if that makes sense.
To test it I put in a mech unit with a 30mm and shot at the trucks a few times - a few rounds damaged it and then it was destroyed, but in-between the damaged trigger did fire.

Not saying this is the way it should be, but I think it is why it isn't working the way you want it to.

It does seem to work differently depending on the level you drill down to - it does work properly when it is just set to a facility.
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

I think that the damaged trigger should also fire if a unit is destroyed. At least I recall think that is the case.
Michael
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

Yes, the damage trigger should (always had) fired when a unit is destroyed. Do you confirm there is a issue here and it could be major?

That is:

michaelm75au: "It does seem to work differently depending on the level you drill down to - it does work properly when it is just set to a facility."

This is a big thing for designers i.e. severity tying their hands in how they set up scenarios.

A wild idea is that this results from specific combinations of weapons and targets which is why others are not seeing it. Another is my and only my saved files are corrupted. That one seems far fetched.

If others in the community could take a minute and check this out, it would help michaelm75au determine the extent of the issue. Twice in 2 months scenario ideas came to a halt. Attacking land facilities is a major part of the sim. I think we need to get to the bottom of the inconsistencies twice noted now by both michaelm75au and I right away.

michaelm75au, I hope you agree and I will help out if you like.

Kevin
Alfred Thayer Mahan
stilesw

Post by stilesw »

I did some checking and could it be related to the fact that the truck has 0 damage points versus general facilities (buildings, bridges, etc) which have damage points greater than 0. Thus, the percent damage check doesn't work with 0 points.

-Wayne
“There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.”

Charles Edward Montague, English novelist and essayist
~Disenchantment, ch. 15 (1922)
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

Hi Wayne, the problem also exists with SAM sites (which have positive DPs) and with the destroy trigger. The truck is there as cannon fodder. In the posted scenario when you hit a SAM site and achieve 60% damage (with the trigger set at 50%) it does not fire. I have been using the damage trigger set at 50% for years. And it always fired when units were destroyed, arrived at > 50% damage and worked with feeble things like trucks. Thanks Wayne. We need input on this one. Any ideas are welcome.

Kevin
Alfred Thayer Mahan
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

I'll trace it thru on weekend and report back.
Michael
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

I have logged this as there seems to be still a case where frag/blast damage to an aim point won't affect the overall unit DP which is a source for the trigger.
Michael
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Fixed last August and re-tweaked now to fix this: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4724962

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”