Modding Tool [1.1.0 Released!]

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Leej

RE: Modding Tool

Post by Leej »

Just noticed while modifying some components for use with Bacon Mod... The editor recognizes that the 4th and 5th values on Hyperdrives are for Gravity Well range modifications but during the data validation step it will zero them out, e.g.
Invalid value 4 value "19" found in Components record 47) Movement - Gerax HyperDrive, value changed to "0"
Invalid value 5 value "20" found in Components record 47) Movement - Gerax HyperDrive, value changed to "0"

Edit: This is with version 1.1.0.19
Sabranan

Post by Sabranan »

Oops! I have no idea how I forgot to implement that into data validation but it's there now for revision 20.
EliphasTheInheritor

Post by EliphasTheInheritor »

I am sick and tired of Avast detecting this as a virus. Now I can't start the application no matter what I do. I re-downloaded it, turn off Avast protection, re-download again, extract the files again, and....."Cannot start the application. Contact the application vendor".

Edit: Managed to get the file out of "Quarantine",it works now...
Sabranan

Post by Sabranan »

Yeah I mean obviously it's not really a virus but it's an unknown app to them, the only thing you can do is submit the executable to them as a "false positive" if they provide a means to do that.

Usually any problems with actually running the tool can be fixed ny uninstalling and reinstalling.
SteamSlither

RE: Modding Tool [1.1.0 Released!] How to Install

Post by SteamSlither »

I've downloaded the attachment, but it will not install
How do you run this?

If I click on "setup.exe I get "Windows cannot access device or file" type errors.
if I run Distant Worlds Mod Editor.application located in the same folder, I get "application cannot be started" type errors, "contact the program vendor."
+ Cannot activate a deployment with earlier version than the current minimum required version of the application.

I have latest Net Framework

In a previous post someone got it going via Internet Explorer. How do I do that?

What are the instructions for installing this?
Thanks

+++++++++++++++++++++++

EDIT I FIGURED IT OUT
AVAST anti-virus shield control HAS to be shut down then it runs fine.
I tried adding an exception in AVAST but it does not work at this time.
Drybreeze

Post by Drybreeze »

Wow Sabranan.
Just wow.

I remember when you started this project.
I'm just now looking at it loaded and ready to specify a mod folder.

It has come SUCH a long way since last time I saw it. Looks amazing! Is it fully functional yet, or are there holes in what it can mod?

It looks very impressive so far... I'm about to test it for functionality, will be very interesting to see how it goes.
Sabranan

Post by Sabranan »

I believe it's complete as far as functionality goes yeah, enough so that I've moved on to another project.

I'll still address any bugs you might find though!
Drybreeze

Post by Drybreeze »

I have made edits, output files, tested in games. It all works.

It has drastically increased ease and efficiency in editing this mod.
Your work here is amazing! Thank you so much for such an incredibly useful tool.... very impressive stuff!

One tiny bit of feedback from what I've seen so far:
In Research currently as I go through my list I need to manually click on each of the buttons on the right hand side to determine if each project enables a component, or improves a component, etc. It would be very handy if this information was displayed automatically, as you scrolled down through the projects, rather than having to click each button to figure out which each project affects.
Sabranan

Post by Sabranan »

I agree it would be better, a different tool I'm working on works in very different way that better contains the information on one form without making it so big that you need a 1080p screen to work with it.

But between that and playing the hell out of a game in early access called "Grey Hack" (seriously, this game has taken up almost a full quarter of my life since the new year) my time has become somewhat limited recently!

So for now at least it's just too big a change to remake the form like that. If I find myself with some more free time I may come back to it, but in the meantime I'll limit myself to fixing bugs.
Drybreeze

Post by Drybreeze »

Yes that is totally understandable of course!
Just giving feedback.

I've made a massive amount of changes very easily using your tool, it's extremely useful thank you so much for developing it!
FFCecil

Post by FFCecil »

Just wanted to say thanks for making this tool. I'm new to modding DW and it's taught me a few things.

I used it against the Star Trek Picard Era 2.0 mod and helped me fix a few things and rearrange some techs.

I'm wondering if you ever ran it against the research.txt file in that mod. I believe I found a small/big bug in your tool.

Project ;234 Compressed Fuel Storage has a COMPONENTs ;67 line spelled like that. When I ran your tool. It wiped out the components line altogether because it wasn't all caps I assume instead of changing it to all caps.

It also helped me fixed the Advanced Fleet Tactics and Countermeasures to give there 35% bonus the proper way :) I had it working before but the tool showed me the #'s were reversed. 35, 0 should of been 0, 35.

Doing a before and after compare of the two files. There were like 5 to 10 other game affecting things it wanted to change in that mod but it seemed like they were intended for the Trek Mod. Like giving more room for the different ship size techs. The mod wanted to 0 out a few things. Not sure if some of those could be fixes or not but I kept them in.
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

ORIGINAL: FFCecil

Just wanted to say thanks for making this tool. I'm new to modding DW and it's taught me a few things.

I used it against the Star Trek Picard Era 2.0 mod and helped me fix a few things and rearrange some techs.

I'm wondering if you ever ran it against the research.txt file in that mod. I believe I found a small/big bug in your tool.

Project ;234 Compressed Fuel Storage has a COMPONENTs ;67 line spelled like that. When I ran your tool. It wiped out the components line altogether because it wasn't all caps I assume instead of changing it to all caps.

It also helped me fixed the Advanced Fleet Tactics and Countermeasures to give there 35% bonus the proper way :) I had it working before but the tool showed me the #'s were reversed. 35, 0 should of been 0, 35.

Doing a before and after compare of the two files. There were like 5 to 10 other game affecting things it wanted to change in that mod but it seemed like they were intended for the Trek Mod. Like giving more room for the different ship size techs. The mod wanted to 0 out a few things. Not sure if some of those could be fixes or not but I kept them in.
interesting FFCecil, do you think to make your changes to the Star Trek Picard Era 2.0 mod available on the DW forum?
FFCecil

Post by FFCecil »

ORIGINAL: Hattori Hanzo

interesting FFCecil, do you think to make your changes to the Star Trek Picard Era 2.0 mod available on the DW forum?

I thought about it. I made a few personal changes though for me. One thing I changed that really seems to have made a difference is making the Warp Bubble a prewarp technology that's already researched when prewarp game starts. I lowered the speed to 1000 and energy to 30. I play only starting at prewarp and all my games there were some races that use to have hundreds to a thousand of military ships with nowarp before that never got upgraded stacked up in there home system.

Now no race starts with no warp ships so they actually spread out really good even starting in prewarp. Not fast enough to do much besides your own system and scout a few stars before you get the main warp drive researched plus they actually have a chance to defend there systems even if they never upgraded those ships but it seems they get upgraded better since the ships are faster. One problem I've noticed before is if the game gives a refuel command it overrides the retrofit / retire command. Still playing my first game with the change but looks promising.

I also removed a whole line of the fusion reactors and streamlined the main two, and made all races policy on invasion to overkill like the AI mod.

One thing I'm confused about is torpedo's. When I click the auto upgrade button the game will never choose torpedo's with bombard on them so it seems like the AI would only be able to use spatial torpedo's or the photon's. Even if I had quantum's researched to 67 dmg the game was still upgrading my ships with basic spatial torpedo's so I removed the bombard from quantum and they get equipped now. Wish I could actually see the designs the AI races were making to check if somehow they were equipping bombard torpedo's even if I couldn't with auto upgrade.
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

exactly what I would like to try !!!
it seem to really improve the Star Trek Picard Era 2.0 mod, correcting that annoying defects.
FFCecil

Post by FFCecil »

Here is my changes to Star Trek Mod 2.0 with fixes by others + Bacon Mod 1.77 if you want to try it out. The warp bubble change really worked out well in my first prewarp game. No 100's of nowarp ships and looked like all the races upgraded the warp bubble ships good.

I found a bug in the way I deleted the 3 fusion techs with ModTool. It rearranged all the Project ID's so all the race files with research specific project id's were all wrong. I fixed the research.txt file. Kept the project lines in there but changed them so they won't show up in game and won't affect anything else.

Here is the new attachment.

Attachments
Star Trek ..Mod 1.77.zip
(8.85 MiB) Downloaded 16 times
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

thanks so much FFCecil, can you please give me some deatailled instructions to correctly install it ?

I'm a real noob in all which regards "mods".. [8|]

post-scriptum: [&o][&o][&o]
FFCecil

Post by FFCecil »

I provided a readme that explains how. You will still need the original Star Trek Picard Era 2.0 mod. Basically just rename the DistantWorlds.exe and backup your original Star Trek mod in case you want to go back. Look in Star Trek Fixes.Changes Readme.txt
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

I provided a readme that explains how. You will still need the original Star Trek Picard Era 2.0 mod. Basically just rename the DistantWorlds.exe and backup your original Star Trek mod in case you want to go back. Look in Star Trek Fixes.Changes Readme.txt
thanks FFCecil, is it possible to not use the Bacon mod ?
I would strongly prefer to just apply your corrections over the Star Trek Picard Era mod without having to change the DistantWorlds.exe.
FFCecil

Post by FFCecil »

Well I had to merge some stuff from the files in bacon mod to star trek mod so I wouldn't use my mod without using the .exe. You can always turn off most the stuff in bacon mod under bacon settings. I don't use gravity wells myself. I like it because it's alot easier to designs ship with it and you can build your own freighters and stuff and send them on repeat missions to collect things you need.
Sabranan

Post by Sabranan »

For some reason I thought I'd replied to this when I hadn't, sorry!

I've pushed a revision to make it pick up on these lines, it should find them regardless of how they're capitalized now! Should also work for the other capitalized line names in the research file too.

Return to “Design and Modding”