Attaching German Divisions to Axis Minor Corps?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

chuckbbq

Attaching German Divisions to Axis Minor Corps?

Post by chuckbbq »

It seems like there aren't enough German Corps to prevent overloading, especially when Division are broken down. Does anyone know if it is benificial to mix German and Axis Minor divisions under different nations armies? Is a German Division better off under an overloaded German Corps? Or a non overloaded Rumanian Corps? Also, say 1 German and 1 Rumanian Corps are sent into the Crimea, the Rumanian Divisions would suffer a 50% penalty if attacking with the German divisions, would it be worth it to put them all under one Rumanian Army to eliminate the penalty? Same with the Italians. They're too weak to really be given an objective or to even hold a section of the front, but if they were stacked with German Divisions, it seems like they could act as a supplement to their strength if the German division were put under an Italian Corps. Anyone give this a shot before, what were your results?
Zug

RE: Attaching German Divisions to Axis Minor Corps?

Post by Zug »

I imagine it depends on whether the malus for overloading is better or worse than what you lose with the (potentially) poorer commander attributes. So it probably comes down to individual cases.

But for me, I always opt for removing the overload. In this case I would rather assign the German Division to the satellite HQ.

Actually as the German/Axis, I rarely have issues with having enough Corps HQs. It's the Army HQs that run short, and as a result in a German campaign I end up with a couple of 'independent' Corps (assigned directly to Army Group) in each AG.

The absolute key is to capture Rostov and the nearby towns to get the additional Army Group. This is the only way to really eliminate overloading as the Axis.

When you break down these divisions all bets are off. Virtually impossible to prevent overloading at certain levels when you do this.

Animals flee this hell. The hardest stones cannot bear it for long. Only men endure.
timmyab

Post by timmyab »

There should be enough German corps HQs to go around without needing to overload them. There will be some overloading though when divisions are broken down. This is a tradeoff you have to weigh up against the benifits of breaking down divisions.
There is a shortage of German army and army group HQs. I usually end up with at least a couple of independent corps attached to OKH, one of which will be a powerful reserve pz corps with an ace leader. You can also attach some German corps to Finnish armies which have good leaders.
I'm not sure how much adverse effect overloading has at army group level. To be honest I think the role of senior HQs in the game has not been well executed.
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

Overloading is a problem at all levels. The higher HQ's have a smaller chance of success but spread that chance over a larger number of units. If you can keep Army Group/Front HQ's from being overloaded your guys get a lot more effective. You can check the effect of changing command structures by looking at the "supply detail" pane in the unit detail map. It tells you the percentage chance of making each type of leader roll for that unit.
SparkleyTits

Post by SparkleyTits »

For each point of CP overloading it reduces the generals ratings by 1 so overloading really does hurt
timmyab

Post by timmyab »

Overloading does adversely affect corps HQs and is best avoided. For higher level HQs overloading penalties are relatively small. Keep them below cap if you can but there are far more important things to consider first.
Good army leaders help a lot too, army group leaders not so much. Also keep army HQs close to trouble spots, corps HQs have no range penalty though for some unaccountable reason.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”