Does anyone know any formula to calculate the thickness of a ship's hull plates?

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

josant

Does anyone know any formula to calculate the thickness of a ship's hull plates?

Post by josant »

The hull thickness of a ship of 50m length is not the same than a Ship of 100m length, so, I am interested in this, what is the formula to calculate the thickness of a ship's hull plates?
JA
Andrea G

RE: Does anyone know any formula to calculate the thickness of a ship's hull plates?

Post by Andrea G »

I remember from my school days, long time ago, that the thickness of the frames of a ship was given in the rules of the Register under which the ship is being constructed; speaking of cargo ship of course.
Andrea G

RE: Does anyone know any formula to calculate the thickness of a ship's hull plates?

Post by Andrea G »

Here is the PDF of American Bureau of Shipping rules.
See section 2

https://ww2.eagle.org/content/dam/eagle ... July14.pdf
stilesw

Post by stilesw »

Hey Andrea,

Thanks for this reference. There may be other forum folks out there that are interested in such details so I've added it to the unofficial (i.e. not sponsored by MatrixGames, Slitherine, their employees, relatives, pets or ancestors).

Any forum member can have access to this resource. Just PM me with you email address.

-Wayne Stiles
“There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.”

Charles Edward Montague, English novelist and essayist
~Disenchantment, ch. 15 (1922)
josant

Post by josant »

OK, thanks for all the replies
JA

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”