Request for next game

Brian Kellys Desert War: 1940-42 captures the drama of the campaign for North Africa during World War II.
jjdenver

Request for next game

Post by jjdenver »

Guys,

Please reduce the stacking limit. Seeing pics of closely packed units stacked 4,5,6 high 3 or 4 hexes deep without even being able to make out terrain is really not appetizing or fun for most gamers imo.

I'm actually your target demographic. My cup of tea is hex based wargames. I loved V4V Atomic Games series, Stalingrad, Operation Crusader, etc. But I never bought Desert War because clicking through all of those tall stacks with seemingly little room for manuever looks like not much fun to me. Tall stacks also prevent players from seeing much of the map.

Maybe instead of lower level (company etc) you can use regiment or at least minimum battalion level OOB to give smaller stacks and more room to manuever. I think I'd personally enjoy a more operational feel than tactical feel and a less cluttered map.

I hope you'll consider this for your next game.

Thanks

Attachments
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (131.93 KiB) Viewed 187 times
AARS:
CEAW-BJR Mod 2009:
tm.asp?m=2101447
AT-WW1:
tm.asp?m=1705427
AT-GPW:
tm.asp?m=1649732
ninja81

RE: Request for next game

Post by ninja81 »

You can modify stack limit in the editor.
Meteor2

Post by Meteor2 »

Being in the Target Group, too, I think that jjdenver is right.
Tactical depth is welcome. To much cluttering looks like work and not like a "just one more turn" game, unfortunately.
(I do not own the game).

Not comparable, I know, but SC-WiE design is totally delivering this feeling (for me). [;)]
jjdenver

Post by jjdenver »

ORIGINAL: ninja81
You can modify stack limit in the editor.

Thanks but I don't think this will solve the problem. If the scenarios are designed and balanced for a specific stacking limit (5,6,whatever) then modifying stack limit will drastically change the feel and balance I think. It will also create a 'carpet' of units across the map - which is also a problem.

The basic problem seems to be scale of units vs scale of map, and to a lesser degree specific stacking limit. For example if hexes represented 1 mile or .5 mile instead of what I think(?) they represent - 2 miles - things would spread out more and manuever could ensue.If in addition to that the minimum unit level were raised from battalion to company, or company to regiment other than perhaps a few specialized units like engineer at the battalion level....then I think the game would be more appetizing to me personally. Anyway, thanks for the tip and I'm hoping this company can succeed because they are on the right track to making the kind of game(s) that I really like.

Thanks
AARS:
CEAW-BJR Mod 2009:
tm.asp?m=2101447
AT-WW1:
tm.asp?m=1705427
AT-GPW:
tm.asp?m=1649732
Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

Hi, thanks for the feedback.
Yes, lots of people have said similar things about the scale / stacking.

So for the next game:
The ground scale will be halved from the current 2-miles per hex to 1-mile per hex. This scale change will address Player concerns about the stack sizes in Desert War. This ground scale change will reduce the number of units per hex by half and quadruple the amount of maneuver space available on the map. The result will provide a more open battlefield.
The basic unit size for land units will continue to be the battalion. Stacking will allow for one battalion plus one company/platoon per hex (i.e. a max of two units per hex).

So smaller stacks and more room! [8D]

Thanks,
Brian
Deathtreader

Post by Deathtreader »

ORIGINAL: Saint Ruth

Hi, thanks for the feedback.
Yes, lots of people have said similar things about the scale / stacking.

So for the next game:
The ground scale will be halved from the current 2-miles per hex to 1-mile per hex. This scale change will address Player concerns about the stack sizes in Desert War. This ground scale change will reduce the number of units per hex by half and quadruple the amount of maneuver space available on the map. The result will provide a more open battlefield.
The basic unit size for land units will continue to be the battalion. Stacking will allow for one battalion plus one company/platoon per hex (i.e. a max of two units per hex).

So smaller stacks and more room! [8D]

Thanks,
Brian

WooHoo!!!!

Thank you....thank you...thank you......[&o]

Rob.
So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)

Return to “Desert War 1940 - 1942”